Arts & Makerspace Librarian - California State University, Fullerton - Pollak Library
Location: Fullerton, CA
Salary: Senior Assistant Librarian 10-month classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 per month (12 monthly payments per year), and the Senior Assistant Librarian 12-month classification salary range is $6,190 to $13,797 per month (12 monthly payments per year). Anticipated hiring range is $5,405 to $5,467 per month for 10-month classification, or $6,190 to $6,287 per month for 12-month classification
Employment Term: Full-time, tenure track
Employer Contact: Mike DeMars at firstname.lastname@example.org or call (657) 278-4768.
The Pollak Library at California State University, Fullerton, invites applications for a tenure-track Arts & Makerspace Librarian to join our dedicated community of librarians, staff, and student assistants.
California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) is a minority-serving institution and an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer. CSUF is strongly committed to increasing the diversity of the campus community and the curriculum, and to fostering an inclusive environment within which students, staff, administrators, and faculty thrive. The Pollak Library values and is dedicated to the goal of building a diverse community. We strongly encourage applications from candidates who can demonstrate through their work, research, and/or service that they can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our community, and those from groups whose underrepresentation in American librarianship has been severe and longstanding are particularly encouraged to apply.
California State University, Fullerton is the largest of 23 campuses, which comprise the California State University system. The campus is located in northern Orange County, convenient to numerous cultural and recreational sites throughout Southern California. As a comprehensive university, CSUF offers baccalaureate degrees in 57 fields of knowledge, graduate (master’s level) work in 52 programs, credential programs for teachers, and doctoral degrees in education (Ed.D.) and nursing practice (DNP). The University’s Web site is located at: http://www.fullerton.edu
We serve more than 40,000 students as well as approximately 4,000 faculty and staff. Our website, http://www.library.fullerton.edu, is a vital component of the Library’s extensive instruction program and serves as a gateway to library resources that include 1.6 million books, government documents, and audiovisual materials; over 230,000 periodicals available electronically or in print; and over 300 electronic databases. The staff includes 20.9 FTE librarians, 27 FTE paraprofessionals, and 57 student assistants.
At Pollak Library’s new Makerspace, students, faculty, and staff can make, create, and innovate. The Makerspace provides access to many creation tools, such as a laser cutter, vinyl cutter, button maker, sewing machines, book-making equipment and supplies, a podcasting studio, and a virtual reality room.
The Arts & Makerspace Librarian will have an opportunity to bring together two areas that are focused on creativity: liaison to the College of the Arts and development of the Makerspace. The College of the Arts—with award-winning faculty and over 2,600 students—has been one of the participants in the development of Makerspace. The Makerspace is designed to engage students across academic disciplines in the experiential learning crucial to student success.
As a member of the Library’s Public Services Department, the Arts & Makerspace Librarian assumes the leadership role in the instruction, reference, and collection development support of students and faculty in the arts, as well as general instruction and reference. The successful candidate will also provide strategic leadership for the Pollak Library’s Makerspace. This position provides an opportunity for creativity and innovation in building a library for the 21st century.
Librarians at CSUF have faculty status and are expected to meet promotion and tenure requirements, including scholarly and professional activities.
- Participate in the Library’s extensive instruction program by planning, teaching, and assessing faculty-requested library instruction sessions
- In collaboration with the reference team of librarians, provide research assistance to the campus community via in-person and virtual research consultations and scheduled reference shifts
- Perform subject liaison roles for all disciplines in the College of the Arts (art, music, theater, and dance) and develop collaborative relationships with its faculty
- Work with the Collection Development and Management Librarian to identify and select materials in subject areas, develop accreditation reports, and monitor the approval plan
- Create and maintain online arts-related instructional materials and content for the library website
- Work with key stakeholders from across the campus and provide collaborative support for innovation and new initiatives in the Pollak Library Makerspace, including planning, organizing, and programming
Positive tenure and promotion decisions require that faculty take part in scholarly/creative activities and serve on department, library, professional, and university committees.
- Master’s degree in library and/or information science from an ALA-accredited institution or equivalent institution by the time of appointment
- Educational background or demonstrated expertise in any of the disciplines in the College of the Arts (art, music, theater, and dance)
- Evidence of, or interest in, Makerspace development and innovation
- Effective interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills
- Ability to interact effectively and respectfully in a multicultural environment with co-workers, students, faculty, and the wider campus community
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice
- Evidence of, or interest in, the pursuit of professional and scholarly activities
- Knowledge and experience with discipline-specific information databases and other research resources
- Experience in research assistance via in-person, virtual reference, consultations, and teaching information literacy in higher education or comparable area
- Effectiveness in project management, problem-solving, and balancing multiple assignments and projects
- Evidence of, or interest in, evolving technologies used in teaching, learning, and creation
Rank, Salary & Benefits
The position will be at the rank of Senior Assistant Librarian in either a 10-month classification and work assignment or a 12-month classification and work assignment. The Senior Assistant Librarian 10-month classification salary range is $5,405 to $11,994 per month (12 monthly payments per year), and the Senior Assistant Librarian 12-month classification salary range is $6,190 to $13,797 per month (12 monthly payments per year). Anticipated hiring range is $5,405 to $5,467 per month for 10-month classification, or $6,190 to $6,287 per month for 12-month classification. Salary is subject to budgetary authorization and any salary increase for all CSU faculty. An excellent comprehensive benefits package is available that includes: health, vision, and dental insurance; spouse, domestic partner, and dependent tuition fee‐waiver; access to campus child‐care; and a defined‐benefit retirement program through the state system along with optional tax sheltering opportunities. For a detailed description of benefits, please visit https://hr.fullerton.edu/total-wellness/.
Preferred start date of July 1, 2023
A complete online application must be submitted in order to receive consideration. To apply, please go to: https://hr.fullerton.edu/careers/Faculty.php to view all job listings and select #521840 to begin the application process and provide the following materials:
- Letter of interest (relating your experience to the required and preferred qualifications)
- Current curriculum vitae
- Candidate statement on commitment to inclusive excellence
- This statement provides the candidate’s unique perspective on their past and present contributions to and future aspirations for promoting diversity, inclusion, and social justice in their professional careers. The purpose of this statement is to help the library identify candidates who have professional experience, intellectual commitments, and/or willingness to engage in activities that could help CSUF contribute to its mission in these areas.
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Semi-Finalists will be required to have three letters of recommendation submitted. Please have these ready for the referents to submit. On the References page of the online application, enter information and email addresses for three referents who will provide a confidential letter of reference for your application. At the appropriate time in the search process, they will receive a request via email along with information on uploading the letter. You will be able to verify that each letter has been received by CSUF by logging back into your applicant portal.
Please direct all questions about the position to: Mike DeMars at email@example.com or call (657) 278-4768.
Completed applications (all three items under “Application Procedure” above) received by January 30, 2023, shall be given first consideration. Position will remain open until filled.