ARLIS-L is an electronic forum for the dissemination of information and the discussion of issues of interest to art information professionals. Postings routinely include reference and cataloging questions and discussion specific to art resources and materials; job vacancy announcements; conference, workshop, and meeting information; announcements of awards, honors, and prizes; news items from groups and individuals in the Society; copyright and information policy issues; and more.
ARLIS-L is a moderated open discussion list. Anyone may subscribe. Individuals posting messages are requested to sign their own real names; use meaningful subject headings; and, if inviting replies, specify whether these should be sent to the whole list or to themselves only.
The use of the listserv for advertising or sales by individuals or organizations is prohibited. Exceptions include listings for educational opportunities (workshops, classes, conferences); announcement of publications by ARLIS/NA members' institutions; mention of books for sale at book signings; listings of publications or other items produced by ARLIS/NA divisions, committees, special interest groups, or chapters; and announcements of professional journals of interest to the membership. Other postings may be permitted at the discretion of the listserv moderator.
Vacancy announcements for all professional positions should be first directed to the ARLIS/NA JobList service. Paraprofessional and internship opportunities may be posted directly to ARLIS-L. Information on new publications should be sent to the ARLIS/NA Reviews Editors.
The list is currently moderated by Judy Dyki, Cranbrook Academy of Art.
Older posts are accessible via the ARLIS-L Archives.
How to Subscribe
- Send an e-mail message to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line blank. In the body of your message, type ONLY the following (no signature): SUBSCRIBE ARLIS-L YOUR NAME (substituting your own name).
- The list moderator will add all new subscribers as they are received. Some delays are possible.
How to Unsubscribe
- Send an e-mail message to email@example.com with the subject line blank.
- In the body of your message, type ONLY the following (no signature): SIGNOFF ARLIS-L.
How to Post a Message
- Send your posting to ARLIS-L@lsv.arlisna.org.
- Only subscribers may post messages to the list.
- Attachments are not accepted; these postings are automatically rejected.
- Please contact the moderator for assistance if your posting is rejected.
How to Change Your Subscription Address
- Send an e-mail message from the old address to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line blank.
- In the body of your message, type ONLY the following (no signature): CHANGE ARLIS-L NEW@ADDRESS (substituting your new address).
How to Temporarily Stop Receiving Listserv Postings
It is proper listserv etiquette to set your subscription on nomail when you will be away from your office for an extended period of time. This prevents other subscribers from receiving your automatic "out-of-office" reply every time they post to the list. Those who want to read the listserv mail they missed while away can do so through the archives.
- Send an email message to email@example.com with the subject line blank.
- In the body of your message, type ONLY the following (no signature):
SET ARLIS-L NOMAIL
- To reset your subscription follow the same steps substituting the command:
SET ARLIS-L MAIL