Electronic Resources and Licensing Librarian - UCSD Library
Location: La Jolla, CA
Employment Term: Full-time
Employer Contact: Estefania Campillo firstname.lastname@example.org
Open date: October 23, 2023
Next review date: Monday, Dec 4, 2023 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Apply by this date to ensure full consideration by the committee.
Final date: Tuesday, Oct 1, 2024 at 11:59pm (Pacific Time)
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Electronic Resources and Licensing Librarian
Content Acquisition and Resource Sharing
The University of California, San Diego Library seeks creative, collaborative, and service-oriented applicants for the position of Electronic Resources and Licensing Librarian for our Content Acquisition and Resource Sharing (CARS) Program.
Responsibilities of the Position
Reporting to the Program Director for CARS, the Electronic Resources and Licensing Librarian (ERLL) plays an essential role in acquiring digital content for UC San Diego constituents. The ERLL is responsible for negotiating access to electronic resources and serves as the primary contact for electronic resource vendors and content providers. The ERLL reviews and negotiates licenses for UCSD electronic resources and manages the acquisition, activation, and troubleshooting of all purchased and subscribed electronic resources for the Library. Collaborates and works closely with the electronic resources and Acquisitions Division team members. Coordinates the gathering and analyzing of electronic resource usage and other related assessment data. The Electronic Resources and Licensing Librarian is part of the Collection Strategists Group and the Collection Council and works closely with collection strategists and selectors on licensing electronic resources. As a member of the CARS Leadership Team, contributes to the goals and strategic objectives of the program.
Licensing and Acquisitions
- Develops licensing strategies and keeps current on emerging trends in licensing electronic resources
- Researches, evaluates and reviews licenses, contracts, and leads the negotiation of licensing terms
- Manages licensing, acquisition, and troubleshooting of online databases, electronic book and electronic journal packages, streaming services, and other electronic resources
- Serves as the primary contact and negotiates with content providers, vendors, and publishers on license terms and pricing
- Works collaboratively with internal stakeholders including collection strategists to continually develop and enhance the Library’s collection development policy for electronic resources
- Tracks licensing terms and maintains license records
- Serves as licensing functional expert at UC San Diego Library and answers questions from colleagues both within the Library and across campus on complex licensing issues
- Serves as campus contact for Public Performance Rights inquiries
Electronic Resource Management
- Oversees the life cycle of electronic resources including acquisition, licensing, activation, and troubleshooting access issues
- Oversees the collection and analysis of data on acquisition, holdings, and usage of electronic resources to inform collection policy
- Develops workflows, documentation and best practices for electronic resource management
- Responsible for troubleshooting complex electronic resource access issues
- Serve as campus contact for breach reports
- Collaborates with the California Digital Library Acquisitions Unit to manage shared, UC systemwide electronic resources
- Keeps current on emerging trends in electronic resources lifecycle management
Applicants are invited to attend an informational webinar to learn more about the position, the campus, and the University Library. If interested, please register using the links provided:
Information Session @ Monday, November 13, 2023 at 2-3PM PST:
Information Session @ Friday, November 17, 2023 9-10AM PST:
The attendee list will be hidden to ensure confidentiality. Attendance is not required to apply or be considered for this position. Live captioning will be provided via Zoom Live Transcript. Inquiries and nominations may be directed to Laura Schwartz, Director of Content Acquisition and Resource Sharing (email@example.com).
- MLS/MLIS or equivalent advanced degree. Other appropriate degree or equivalent experience in one or more fields related to library services may be substituted
- 2-3 years’ experience working as an Electronic Resource Librarian, Licensing Librarian or in related fields
- Demonstrated knowledge of the electronic resources’ lifecycle (acquiring, providing access, administering, troubleshooting, evaluating)
- Demonstrated knowledge of current practices in electronic resource management in a library
- Demonstrated commitment to change management and continuous learning
- Evidence of contributions to diversity, equity, inclusion, and social justice
- Demonstrated strong analytical, problem solving, and collaboration skills
- Demonstrated experience effectively communicating with internal and external constituents both verbally and in writing
- Demonstrated experience overseeing electronic resources in an academic or research library setting
- Demonstrated experience working with library systems such as an ILS, ERM, and/or link resolvers
- Demonstrated experience with Open URL linking technologies and/or authentication mechanisms
- Demonstrated experience managing streaming media licenses and are aware of public performance rights
- Demonstrated experience and/or knowledge of open access models and transformative agreements
Curriculum Vitae - Your most recently updated C.V.
Statement of Research (Optional)
Statement of Teaching (Optional)
Statement of Contributions to Diversity - Applicants should summarize their past or potential contributions to diversity. See our Faculty Equity site for more information.
Misc / Additional (Optional)
- 3-5 required (contact information only)
Help contact: firstname.lastname@example.org