College of Art and Design Librarian - Rochester Institute of Technology
Detailed Job Description
This professional librarian provides reference, research services, and instruction to students, staff, faculty and the community at Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT). As the liaison to the College of Art and Design, with its five dynamic schools, galleries, and research centers, the librarian will build an ongoing understanding of the disciplines and relevant library resources to navigate and provide instruction in all fields of study related to visual communication, imaging, and science. The College of Art and Design is RIT’s creative hub where art, design, and technology intersect.
The librarian is responsible for working as a member of the Research & Instruction Services department and collaborating with colleagues throughout the RIT Libraries and across campus to develop dynamic programs and instruction opportunities. The ideal candidate will be creative, curious and enthusiastic about teaching and collaboration with an interest in visual arts and sciences including architecture.
- Working with faculty to develop timely and targeted library instruction and support
- Designing, delivering, and assessing teaching sessions
- Participating in on-going collection development and management projects
- Seeking out and developing collaborative partnerships with College of Art and Design faculty
- Engaging and participating in ongoing library-wide assessment of student learning, library collections and services
- Evaluating resource access and recommending updates to improve e-resource discovery, including vendor platforms for databases/e-journals/e-books and other library resources
- Following scholarly trends, resources and new technologies with a view toward their application in research and teaching
- Partnering with the Cary Graphic Arts Collection and RIT Archive Collections to coordinate teaching and develop programming
- Developing tutorials and research guides based on student and curricular needs
- Promoting RIT’s institutional repository to the College of Art and Design faculty and graduate students
- Serving on RIT Libraries' committees
- Participating in professional associations or organizations
Rochester Institute of Technology is a diverse and collaborative community of engaged, socially conscious, and intellectually curious minds. Through creativity and innovation, and an intentional blending of technology, the arts and design, we provide exceptional individuals with a wide range of academic opportunities, including a leading research program and an internationally recognized education for deaf and hard-of-hearing students. We are dedicated to building a diverse community, one where employees feel a sense of belonging, and are valued for their contributions and the perspectives they bring.
As a member of the RIT community, you'll receive a comprehensive employee benefits package that offers multiple options and access to additional employment advantages. You can tailor your benefit elections to meet your needs (affordable medical/dental/vision benefits; paid vacation/sick time/retirement saving plan with exceptional employer match; and tuition assistance for you and your family, to name a few).
Required Minimum Qualifications
MLS, MS in Library and Information Science
- 1-2 years professional reference experience in an academic, public or special library.
- 1-2 years experience in information research skill instruction.
- 1-2 years familiar with information resource structures and core resources in appropriate disciplines.
- 1-2 years experience with selection of curricular based materials.
- Reference interview skills
- Working knowledge of major online information services
- Working knowledge of discipline specific database services
- Public speaking and presentation skills
- Ability to assess and integrate appropriate complex information technologies into the collection and instruction programs
- Familiarity with information resource structures and core resources in the humanities, social sciences and the arts
- Experience in selecting appropriate curricular-based materials for academic programs and in the ongoing review of those materials.
- Second Master’s degree in Fine Arts (MFA), in a visual arts discipline taught within the College of Art & Design + Architecture or related academic discipline, or equivalent training and experience providing library services to users in the area of the visual arts.
Required Application Documents
Cover Letter, Curriculum Vitae or Resume
How To Apply
In order to be considered for this position, you must apply for it at: http://careers.rit.edu/staff. Click the link for search openings and in the keyword search field, enter the title of the position or the BR number.
Application review will begin on February 7, 2022.
The hiring process for this position may require a criminal background check and/or motor vehicle records check. Any verbal or written offer made is contingent on satisfactory results, as determined by Human Resources. RIT does not discriminate. RIT promotes and values diversity, pluralism and inclusion in the work place. RIT provides equal opportunity to all qualified individuals and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, age, marital status, sex, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, veteran status or disability in its hiring, admissions, educational programs and activities. RIT provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities under the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York Human Rights Law, or similar applicable law. If you need reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to your application for employment at RIT, please contact the Human Resources office at 585-475-2424 or email your request to Careers@rit.edu. All university employees must be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 on or before December 22, 2021 or your start date (whichever is later), or have an approved medical/disability or religious accommodation.