Assistant/Associate Archivist - The Menil Collection
Status: Full-time; exempt from overtime
Location: Houston, Texas
Application Deadline: 6/10/2022
The Assistant/Associate Archivist coordinates and executes stewardship of the Menil Archives and materials pertinent to the history of the Menil Foundation.
The Assistant/Associate Archivist works directly with the Librarian to perpetuate the unique archival holdings of the Menil Collection in all formats and to guide day-to-day operations in addition to long-range planning for the department.
- Facilitate research and access to the Menil Archives for various internal and external users.
- Manage the appraisal, accession, arrangement, and description of archival collections in accordance with industry standards and best practices. Process unprocessed archival collections.
- Develop and maintain arrangement and descriptive standards for databases, finding aids, and other tools to facilitate research and access to the Menil Archives holdings for internal and external user groups.
- In consultation with librarians, curators, and others, identify documents and collections for digitization. Coordinate and implement digitization workflows and procedures in consultation with the Menil Collection’s Imaging Services Department.
- With the Librarian, implement and maintain the established policies and procedures of the Archives. Collaborate on and advance digital preservation activities.
- Provide archival oversite of the Records Management Program and Document Retention Schedule and advise staff on proper record-keeping practices. Develop workflows for the storage and access for digital document retention, storage, and preservation.
- Work closely with the Curatorial and Conservation Departments on selecting materials for inclusion in exhibitions.
- Represent the Menil Collection Archives locally and nationally at professional conferences.
- ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science with an emphasis in archives or Archival Certification. Recent graduates are encouraged to apply.
- Experience processing archival materials and experience in archival appraisal, arrangement, description, preservation, and reference service.
- Experience in a museum setting is highly desirable. Art history or studio art background preferred.
- Experience with ArchivesSpace and FileMaker Pro.
Preferred Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Demonstrated experience with archival descriptive standards (DACS, EAD, etc.)
- Knowledge of records management policies and procedures for both paper and born-digital records.
- Effective oral and written communication skills and the ability to collaborate with staff at all levels across the institution and outside organizations.
- Strong organization and time-management skills; attention to accuracy and detail are essential.
- Working knowledge of current digital preservation standards and best practices.
- Knowledge of the preservation needs of archival collections in a variety of formats, including analog and born-digital records
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines and manage multiple projects concurrently.
- Experience working with various physical formats, including paper, sound recordings, video materials, and photographs.
The position comes with a comprehensive benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick time, medical and dental insurance, life insurance, AD&D, and LTD coverage. Employees may also participate in the Menil’s 401(k) plan and receive an employer contribution equivalent to 5% of wages earned after one year on the job.
How to Apply
For immediate consideration, please email your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. You also have the option of forwarding your application materials via postal mail to: Human Resources Department
The Menil Collection
1511 Branard Street
Houston, Texas 77006
The Menil Collection is an Equal Opportunity Employer and seeks diversity in its workforce. The Menil is committed to attracting, retaining, developing, and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws