Assistant Librarian - Kimbell Art Museum
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Employment Term: Full time
Required Experience: MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
Employer Contact: Human Resources, 817-332-8451, email@example.com
The Assistant Librarian supports the library’s day-to-day functions and ensures that research resources are made available to patrons in a timely manner. Responsibilities include copy and original MARC cataloging; serials check-in and claims; circulation and interlibrary loan support; general processing of library materials including binding.
The Assistant Librarian will assist the Librarian in all aspects of library activities and library duties, which includes the establishing of departmental policies/procedures, the implementation of collection initiatives.
KAM’s private research library is located in the Piano Pavilion of the Kimbell campus, a renowned museum in Fort Worth, Texas. The library's collections are non-circulating, and they primarily serve the Museum's staff and docents. They are also available to art historians, faculty, and graduate students from surrounding universities by appointment. The library is a member of The Cultural District Library Consortium (CDLC). The CDLC, formed in 1996, has a collection of approximately 120,000 records contributed by the participating museum libraries in Fort Worth, Texas.
- Perform copy and original MARC cataloging following RDA standards
- Process and document flow of all library materials, including acquisitions and disposition of duplicate and out-of-scope items
- Maintain serials subscriptions, including check-in, making claims, and bindery prep
- Provide reference and circulation services to patrons; assist with interlibrary loan requests
- Create and maintain documentation of library policies and procedures
- Participate in professional activities to keep up with best practices and emerging trends
- Assist in developing and staffing events to promote the library’s collections and services
- Work on other related duties as assigned
- MLS or MLIS from an ALA-accredited program
- Ability to deliver materials between buildings and on campus
- Ability to shelve, lift, carry, and/or move up to 15 pounds material on book carts
- Ability to interact effectively and work cooperatively with staff, interns, and volunteers
- Ability to think independently, solve problems, and prioritize work effectively
- Knowledge of current cataloging standards and practices including RDA, AACR2, MARC format, LCSH, and LC classification
- Excellent attention to detail, strong oral and written communication skills
Knowledge and Education:
- Knowledge of current and emerging cataloging practices and technology trends
- Familiarity with integrated library systems (ExLibris Aleph), OCLC services, periodical subscription services such as EBSCONet
- Knowledge of and interest in art and/or art history preferred
- Reading knowledge or familiarity with one or more foreign languages preferred
- Prior professional experience in a museum or academic library preferred
Applicants must be able to pass a pre-employment criminal background and drug screening.
Please provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae or resume with completed application.
- 4 free tickets to every Kimbell exhibition.
- Free admission to other museums with staff ID.
- Free parking.
- Employee discount in the Café and Museum Shops.