Assistant Archivist - The Museum of Modern Art
The Museum of Modern Art is currently accepting applications for an Assistant Archivist in the Archives, Library, and Research Collections Department. This is a fixed-term, 12 month position.
- Surveys the collections to be processed.
- Conducts preliminary research on the materials, compiling and reviewing existing descriptions of the material.
- Drafts a processing plan, in conjunction with the Metadata and Systems staff, determining and acquiring necessary archival supplies.
- Processes the collection in keeping with standard professional guidelines.
- Performs basic preservation tasks, such as removing staples and paperclips, sleeving delicate items within mylar, etc. and implementing other conservation measures as necessary.
- Re-files and re-boxes the collection in acid-free housing and labels the containers.
- Writing and encoding detailed finding aid, including information on context and related collections as well as description of the material.
- Assists with reference activities of the department.
- Performs any other duties reasonably related to the functions described above or to the daily operations of the Archives, Library, and Research Collections Department.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Background in art history and a MLIS or master’s degree with certificate in archival studies strongly preferred.
- One to three years experience processing archival collections according to standard archival standards and practices; research in art history.
- Demonstrated knowledge of twentieth- and twenty-first century art, art historical reference sources, and other related research material.
- Demonstrates outstanding team orientation, flexibility, and ability to work both independently and collaboratively.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills. Detail oriented with ability to organize and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds and to reach high and low shelves.
- Fully vaccinated with a Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and/or the World Health Organization authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a qualified disability or sincerely held religious belief or other legal basis).
- Experience using ArchivesSpace.
- Knowledge of EAD.
- Familiarity with integrated library systems and MARC cataloging.
- Reading knowledge of one or more languages in addition to English.
Reports to: Head of Metadata and Systems
Employer Contact: Helen Lopez, Junior Recruiter: helen_Lopez@moma.org