ARLIS/NA Seeks Copy Editor, Apply by February 25, 2022
ARLIS/NA is seeking applicants from the membership for the position of copy editor to serve on the editorial board. The position’s responsibilities include assisting the editor of the society’s journal Art Documentation and ARLIS/NA’s constituent groups with a wide variety of print and online publications. Please see below for details about the appointment, the description of major duties, and the desired qualifications and skills.
ARLIS/NA Copy Editor
The copy editor is appointed by the ARLIS/NA vice president/president-elect in consultation with the editorial director, and reports to the editorial director. The term of appointment is one year and is renewable. The copy editor receives an annual honorarium.
- Review and edit selected ARLIS/NA publications for grammar, spelling, syntax, colloquialisms, and coherence following the society’s designated style manual.
- Verify citations when necessary and provide missing information for footnotes and bibliographical references
- Work with the Art Documentation editor to edit individual article manuscripts from authors, then review two rounds of proofs.
- Work with individual authors to review and edit content submitted for publication in ARLIS/NA research and reports and the ARLIS/NA website
- Work with the ARLIS/NA Commons manager to review and edit content as requested.
- Provide guidance to ARLIS/NA authors and editors regarding application of style guidelines as requested.
Qualifications and skills:
- ARLIS/NA membership in good standing
- Knowledge of current trends and developments in art libraries, art librarianship, and visual resources
- Experience with editing scholarly writing
- Thorough knowledge of standard style guidelines, such as the Chicago Manual of Style
- Experience using MS Word, especially the ”track changes” and footnotes/endnotes functions
- Ability to mark up and annotate a PDF file
- Ability to send and receive large files (via WeTransfer, Dropbox, Google Docs, etc.)
- Ability to accommodate high-priority editing projects that may arise on an irregular basis or have a fast turnaround time
Please send a letter indicating interest in the position, a CV, and two recent writing samples by email to Roger Lawson, ARLIS/NA Editorial Director, by midnight, February 25, 2022. Any questions about the position may also be sent to this address.