Advocacy & Public Policy Committee News Alerts v.9 n. 1, January 2023
Advocacy & Public Policy Committee News Alerts support the committee's mission to monitor governmental activities and social justice issues affecting the professional interests of ARLIS/NA and to keep the ARLIS/NA membership informed. The monthly alerts are intended to be conversation starters, help members keep up on public policy issues and alert members to new developments. The articles compiled in the News Alerts bring to the forefront recent news from a range of perspectives designed to elicit discussion; they are not compiled to represent the views of ARLIS as an organization or the members of the Advocacy and Public Policy Committee.
Previous issues can be found here: https://www.arlisna.org/news/appc-news-alert
Activism and Social Justice in the Arts
- Harris-Huffman. "Native Leaders Object to Sale of Little Bighorn Artifacts." Hyperallergic, January 23, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. “Hugo Ball Prize Halted as It Reckons With Dadaist’s Antisemitism.” Hyperallergic, January 13, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. "Blaze Engulfs Former Juneteenth Museum Property." Hyperallergic, January 16, 2023.
- Villa, Angelica. “U.S. Museums, Universities Still Hold Remains of Indigenous People, Investigation Finds.” ARTnews, January 26, 2023.
Copyright and Licensing
- Cho, Winston. “AI Art Generators Spark Multiple Copyright Lawsuits.” The Hollywood Reporter, January 17, 2023.
- Escalante-De Mattei, Shanti. “Yuga Labs Says It Does Not Have Copyright Registration Of Bored Ape Images, in New Court Documents.” ARTnews, January 26, 2023.
- Feldman, Ella. “Are A.I. Image Generators Violating Copyright Laws?” Smithsonian Magazine, January 24, 2023.
- Forsythe, Dana. "AI Art Generators Face Legal Challenges As Their Ethical Shortfalls Continue To Surface" Paste Magazine, January 27, 2023.
- Jenkins, Jennifer. “January 1, 2023 is Public Domain Day: Works from 1927 are open to all!” by Duke’s Center for the Study of Public Domain, January 2023.
- Nayyar, Rhea. “Happy Public Domain Day! Virginia Woolf’s To The Lighthouse is Copyright Free.” Hyperallergic, January 1, 2023.
- Rabson, Mia. “Canada extends copyright protection another 20 years to meet new trade obligation.” The Canadian Press, January 2, 2023.
- Trendacosta, Katharine. “It’s Copyright Week 2023: Join Us in the Fight for Better Copyright Law and Policy.” EFF, January 16, 2023.
- Bahr, Sarah. “National Endowment for the Humanities Announces $28.1 Million in Grants.” The New York Times, January 10, 2023.
- Durón, Maximilíano. “Warhol Foundation to Give $4 M. to 48 Organizations in Fall 2022 Grants.” ARTnews, January 12, 2023.
- Durón, Maximilíano. "Artist Award Roundup: Ebony G. Patterson Wins High Museum’s Driskell Prize, Creative Capital Names 2023 Awardees, and More" ArtNews, January 31, 2023.
- "National Endowment for the Arts Announces First Round of Fiscal Year 2023 Grants". National Endowment for the Arts, January 10, 2023.
- Price, Gary. “Funding: Library Freedom Project Receives $1 Million Grant Award From the Mellon Foundation to Advance Critical Privacy and Democracy Training.” Library Journal, January 25, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. "$62M Announced for Art and Humanities Projects Nationwide" Hyperallergic, January 11, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. "Cultural Mapping Project Expands to 21 California Cities." Hyperallergic, January 30, 2023.
Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, and Access (IDEA)
- Ho, Karen K. “In Controversial Move, British Museums Will Avoid Using ‘Mummy’ to Describe Mummified Remains.” ARTnews, January 25, 2023.
- Litt, Stephen. "Cleveland Museum of Art recognizes injustices to Native Americans with ‘land acknowledgment,’ programs, exhibits." Cleveland.com, January 31, 2023.
- Sachs, Andrea. "Color Blindness Glasses Add Vibrancy to Museums and Parks." The Washington Post, January 12, 2023.
- Shearer, Jessica. "What Do Bostonians Think of the New MLK Monument?" Hyperallergic, January 25, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. "Washington Heights Graffiti Tunnel Completely Whitewashed." Hyperallergic, January 24, 2023.
Intellectual Freedom / Access to Information
- “Brooklyn Public Library ‘Books Unbanned’ Team Named Librarians of the Year.” BK Reader, January 6, 2023.
- Levine, Jenny. "Core's Library Resources & Technical Services Journal Goes Fully Open Access." ALA News. January 25, 2023.
- Nayyar, Rhea. "Minnesota Professor Reportedly Fired for Showing Paintings of Prophet Muhammad." Hyperallergic, January 4, 2023.
- Nayyar, Rhea. "Professor Who Showed Images of Prophet Muhammad Sues University." Hyperallergic, January 18, 2023.
Technology and Digital Privacy
- Eliot, Lance. "Some Insist That Generative AI ChatGPT Is A Mirror Into The Soul Of Humanity, Vexing AI Ethics And AI Law" Forbes, January 29, 2023.
- "What's Ahead in 2023 for Privacy and Cyber Security Law." Fogler Rubinoff, January 16, 2023.
- Lavery, Irelyne. "AI and privacy: Experts worry users may have already ‘traded a lot’ for services." Global News, January 15, 2023.
- Michael, Taylor. "Researchers Use Facial Recognition to Identify Raphael Work." Hyperallergic, January 29, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. “What’s in Store for NFTs in 2023?” Hyperallergic, January 3, 2023.
- Aton, Francesca. "Workers at the British Museum and Other U.K. Institutions to Strike in February" Artnews, January 23, 2023.Ho, Karen K. “Former Payroll Manager from Art Institute of Chicago Indicted for Stealing $2 M. from Museum.” ARTnews, January 17, 2023.
- Rendon, Jim. "Why workers at growing number of nonprofits are unionizing." AP, January 31, 2023.
- Solomon, Tessa. “Orlando Museum of Art Placed on Probation by Top Museum Accreditor After Basquiat Scandal.” ARTnews, January 23, 2023.
- Taylor, Derrick Bryson, Amanda Holpuch, and Christine Hauser. “A Colorado Library Closed Because of Meth Contamination.” The New York Times, January 4, 2023.
- Velie, Elaine. "Orlando Museum of Art on Probation After Disputed Basquiat Show." Hyperallergic, January 23, 2023.
- Boyd, Kealey. "How Has the Supply Chain Crisis Affected Artists?" Hyperallergic, January 10, 2023.
- Durón, Maximilíano. “Louvre Will Limit Daily Visitors In Effort to Provide More ‘Comfortable Visit.’” ARTnews, January 6, 2023.
- Nayyar, Rhea. “Getty Institute Acquires Trove of British Raj-Era Photography.” Hyperallergic, January 18, 2023.
- Schuessler, Jennifer. “New York Public Library Acquires Joan Didion’s Papers.” The New York Times, January 26, 2023.
This issue of News Alerts was compiled by Freyja Catton, Carrie Evans, Sal Hamerman, Kate Marcus, and Petra Warren.