The ARLIS/NA 2019 Annual Conference in Salt Lake City is just around the corner and we need one more element to make it a success – you! Please consider volunteering for one or more of a variety of volunteer opportunities from staffing the registration desk to social media posting to acting as a transportation “wrangler” (no cattle involved!).
Please take a moment to review the opportunities on the ARLIS/NA Conference Volunteer Form . This is a great way for both new and seasoned members to get involved and meet new friends and colleagues.
The 2019 CPAC has made the decision to prioritize a low-impact conference in Salt Lake City. This will mean a few changes:
- Lanyards will be provided, though members are encouraged to bring their own from past conferences and reuse. We will be collecting used lanyards at the Registration Desk to recycle for the future.
- We will not be providing new conference bags, so please bring your own from previous years’ conferences. In fact, bring a few extra just in case your fellow members need one; a leave-one, take-one box will be at the Registration Desk.
- We will not be accepting or distributing vendor swag. Please visit vendor tables in the Exhibition Hall to get their latest promotional materials.
- The conference schedule will be provided only online, through arlisna2019.sched.com. If you prefer a hard copy, bring your own by following these instructions on how to download and print Sched.
- We strongly encourage all members to bring their own water bottle and coffee tumbler to reduce waste throughout the conference and during events. Pitchers of water will be available in all meeting rooms.
- Salt Lake City public transportation has been engaged for tours and workshops, when possible. Attendees are also encouraged to make use of the Utah Transit Authority (UTA) network (www.rideuta.com/), the community bicycle (greenbikeslc.org) and electric scooter programs (www.li.me and https://www.bird.co/). Bring a helmet!
New conference attendees can use an online packet to help them negotiate ARLIS/NA and learn about “not to miss” workshops, tours, meetings and events. The packet includes survival tips and ways to get involved in the organization. The First-timer packet can be found here.
- Based on ARLIS/NA member feedback, we are experimenting with an Opportunity Drawing rather than a Silent Auction this year. Prizes will include local items and gift cards that are not a burden for members to pack and bring home. Members can participate with as many tickets as they like. Suggested donations for tickets are $5/ticket or 5 tickets for $20. Grand prize will be a $300 Apple Gift Card.
- If you’re curious, Utah law requires us to call this fundraising effort an Opportunity Drawing rather than a raffle. Be a rebel, donate today!
Quiet Reflection / Personalized Film Screening Space
- On level 3 of the conference hotel, we will convert a meeting room with natural light into quiet space. Deborah Ultan Boudewyns will, once again, host free yoga sessions there on Tuesday and Friday evenings, and Wednesday and Thursday mornings. Chairs and open space will remain available throughout the conference, for those who want to step away for personal reflection time and solitude.
- A portion of this room will be set up with monitors and headphones for attendees to screen Utah-centric films, on-demand. Examples include documentaries about the making of Robert Smithson’s “Spiral Jetty” and Nancy Holt’s “Sun Tunnels,” as well as selections from Utah academic library Special Collections’ holdings.
- For additional information and start dates/times, see the Special Events category in Sched
Guided Afternoon Hikes
Enjoy the beauty of Salt Lake City with a stroll through Memory Grove Park on Tuesday and Friday evenings. The park includes memorials to Utah Veterans as well as a replica of the Liberty Bell. The hike will end with a stair climb up City Creek Canyon to the Utah State Capitol Building, with sunset views overlooking the entire Salt Lake valley. For start times/dates and additional info, see the Special Events category in Sched