Special Collections and Archives Teaching and Learning Librarian- Virginia Commonwealth University
Location: Richmond, VA
Employment Term: Full-time
Employer Contact: Jodi Koste
Mission or Goal of Unit
The VCU Libraries transforms our communities by enriching scholarship, learning, creative endeavors, and clinical care through inclusive and equitable teaching, collections, and leadership.
Chief Purpose of this position
The Virginia Commonwealth University Libraries invites applications and nominations for the position of Special Collections and Archives Teaching and Learning Librarian. This position works in a collaborative environment in the Special Collections and Archives (SCA) department to provide instruction for a range of primary source materials including artists’ books, born digital archives, comic arts materials, manuscript collections, and rare books. The SCA Teaching and Learning Librarian will lead the department’s instruction program, seek to expand the instruction program across libraries on the Monroe Park Campus (MPC) and the Medical College of Virginia (MCV) Campus, and oversee a dedicated instruction room at the James Branch Cabell Library. The successful candidate will join a culturally and academically diverse faculty or the highest caliber.
Reporting to the Head of Special Collections and Archives, and working closely with department colleagues and others in instructional roles, the SCA Teaching and Learning Librarian is responsible for developing, enhancing, and promoting the department’s instruction program. Additional responsibilities include:
- Works with faculty to design, teach, and assess instruction sessions, workshops, and programs with primary source resources including artists’ books, comic arts materials, manuscript collections, and rare books.
- Collaborates with department staff to develop a framework for instruction services and outreach that includes workflows, guidelines, and pedagogical values/uses of special collections and archives.
- Leads the expansion of the department’s instruction services to include content and tools that support traditional and virtual environments.
- Partners with other library departments engaged in teaching, learning, and research to provide joint support for students and researchers in areas supported by special collections and archives.
- Contributes to the department’s efforts to enhance access to collections and provides research support and consultations.
Coordinates the department’s internship experiences and provides internal staff training; may supervise student and hourly employees.
- Retrieves and returns archival boxes weighing up to 40 lbs.
The SCA Teaching and Learning Librarian is expected to be active professionally and to contribute to developments in the field. Faculty with the VCU Libraries are evaluated, and promoted, on the basis of job performance, scholarship, and service.
- ALA-accredited graduate degree or accredited graduate degree in another appropriate discipline.
- Experience delivering instruction or training effectively.
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
- Experience in an archival/museum setting or academic research library with significant responsibilities in instruction and education.
- Knowledge of visual and primary source literacy standards.
- Demonstrated experience with current trends and practices for instruction in special collections and archives including universal design for learning principles.
- Knowledge of archives, born digital archives, comic arts materials, contemporary artists’ books, or rare books and their application in the academic curriculum.
- Knowledge of document and object analysis techniques.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organization skills.
- Familiarity with preservation, copyright, and privacy issues.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a production-oriented, team environment.
Candidates need not meet the preferred qualifications to be fully considered. We value many individual and unique skills that would strengthen the VCU Libraries and our teams.
Salary: Salary commensurate with experience, not less than $55,000 annually. This is a full-time, non-tenured faculty position. 12-month faculty benefits apply, including 24 vacation days annually and choice of retirement and annuity plans. Relocation assistance is available. Librarians are provided a generous professional development allowance. For more information about benefits, see the Faculty Benefits page.
Interviews: Initial interviews, if held, will be conducted virtually. We anticipate inviting finalists to campus.