PPC/NA, v. 2, n. 2, February 2016
In celebration of fair use week, the Public Policy Committee is presenting a special issue of it’s news alerts dedicated to Fair Use.
Public Policy Committee News Alerts support the committee's mission to monitor public policy issues and keep the ARLIS/NA membership informed. The monthly alerts are intended to be conversation starters, help members keep up on public policy issues, and alert members to new developments. The news for February 2016 follows:
Info on Fair Use Week
Fair Use News
- Hong, Emily. "What Beyoncé and Justin Bieber Taught Me About Fair Use." Slate.com. February 16, 2016.
- McSherry, Corynne. "Fair Use Economics: How Fair Use Makes Innovation Possible and Profitable." Electronic Frontier Foundation. February 16, 2016.
- Nostalgia Critic. “Where's The Fair Use?” Channel Awesome, YouTube.com. February 16, 2016.
- Postrel, Virginia. "Pictures Deserve 'Fair Use' Protection, Too." Bloomberg View. February 16, 2016.
Canadian Fair Dealing News
- Geist, Michael. "The TPP is Locking Canada into Restrictive Digital Lock Rules." Rabble.ca, January 6, 2016.
- Menzies, Heather. "The Copyright Act Needs to be Edited – For Writers’ Survival." The Globe and Mail, January 14, 2016.
- Parker, Tara. "Illegal Graffiti Capable of Copyright Protection." Lawyer’s Weekly, January 22, 2016.
Fair Use Week Events
- 2/23/16, 12pm EST. Panel Discussion: Fair use in scholarly journal and book publishing.
- 2/25/16, 2pm EST. Webinar: The Fair Use Factors: History and Application.
Fair Use Resources & Background
- "Fair Use: Code of Best Practices for Fair Use in the Visual Arts." College Art Association. . February 18, 2016.
- "Fair Use Fundamentals Infographic"
- "Copyright and Fair Use." Stanford University Libraries.
- "Fair Use." Center for Media and Social Impact.
- "Thinking through Fair Use." University of Minnesota Libraries.
- "Fair Use Index." U.S. Copyright Office.