About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a part time Special Collection Associate in the Gladys Marcus Library at FIT.
DESCRIPTION OF THE JOB The part-time Special Collections Associate will work in a secure area of the library with valuable, rare, and historical primary research materials and must know about and comply with security procedures and regulations and assists in all aspects of unit operations. Reports to the Head of Special Collections and College Archives.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB Provide public service, research assistance, collection maintenance and support the unit's mission and daily operations.
Provide researcher and reference services to SPARC patrons, including conducting preliminary research interviews, scheduling appointments, and retrieving appropriate materials for researchers.
Collections / Access
- Oversee the Special Collections Reading Room and maintain it as a secure environment
- Maintain the physical space and its contents in order to obtain and preserve intellectual and physical control of the material
- Arrange and describe archival materials according to accepted standards; employ effective use of research methods and bibliographic utilities
- Handle fragile archival materials and employ appropriate preservation housing and treatment techniques
- Tasks will include implementing preservation re-housing; applying digitization protocols; and creating and/or editing finding aids
- Maintain statistical usage and other data and use them for various reports
- Supervise special project library aides, clerks, and/or interns
- Special projects as assigned
Cross Unit Responsibilities
Work in various capacities outside of home unit to accomplish library wide initiatives. Such as but not limited to:
- Work at any Library service desk to fill coverage gaps
- Assist with metadata description and processing as needed
- Support marketing and promotion activities
- A Bachelor's Degree AND five (5) years demonstrated knowledge, experience, abilities, and skills in library or archives work or museum collections management
- Proficient in MS Office suite
- Knowledge of digital imaging/scanning/metadata applications, standards, and protocols
- Knowledge of library, archival, and preservation procedures
- Must possess excellent customer service skills, tact, and resourcefulness; work with a diverse constituency
- Able to communicate and work effectively and collegially with library personnel, faculty, students and outside researchers
- Must possess strong organizational, communication, supervisory and curatorial skills
- Must be able to work independently with minimal supervision
- Must be detail oriented and able to make logical classification decisions and identify contextual and hierarchical relationships among groupings of materials
- Able to work in an environment in which exposure to materials containing dust and mold is probable; able to lift up to forty (40) pounds
Master's Degree in Information Science with an Archives and Records Management specialization or a related field of study AND two (2) years demonstrated knowledge, experience, abilities, and skills in library or archives work or museum collections management. Includes but is not limited to all attributes noted above PLUS experience in public service within an academic library setting; experience with digitization project management; and subject specialty knowledge in Fashion, Costume, or Textiles design and/or history.
Job Title: Special Collections Associate
Supervisor: Karen Trivette
Sr. Admin: NJ Bradeen
Current Salary Schedule: 91/0
In order to be considered for the position, you must submit the following documents online:
* Cover letter
* A list of three references with telephone numbers and email addresses
To apply online, please go to: https://www.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.jsp?JOBID=94684
Please note that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we are unable to contact each applicant individually regarding his or her application status.
For more information about FIT, please visit FIT's website at: http://www.fitnyc.edu
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals. Applications from minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged.