The Gerd Muehsam Award is given annually to recognize excellence in a graduate student paper or project on a topic relevant to art librarianship. This award was established to honor the memory of Gerd Muehsam (1913-1979), distinguished scholar, teacher, and art bibliographer, whose support of and dedication to ARLIS/NA was an inspiration to her colleagues and students.
- $500.00 prize.
- Up to $300 travel reimbursement to attend the ARLIS/NA 45th Annual Conference in New Orleans, LA. This amount may be used to reimburse travel expenses, but will not apply to meals, tours, or other costs.
- Registration fee to the New Orleans conference, February 5-9, 2017.
- Opportunity to present the winning paper at the conference as part of the New Voices Panel.
- A one year membership to ARLIS/NA.
- The paper or project must have been created or written during the preceding 18 months by a student enrolled in an accredited graduate library program or in a post-graduate library school program in art history or a related discipline.
- The paper or project must be in conjunction with a course assignment.
- One submission is allowed per person.
All applicants must include their mailing addresses, email addresses, and telephone numbers with their applications.
Paper submissions must include:
- 10-25 pages, typed, double-spaced on single sides of 8.5 x 11 inch paper.
- An abstract of 250 words.
- Title page must include a paper title, the name of the entrant and the institution attended, the name of the faculty member for whom it was written, and the course title.
- Bibliography and footnotes should follow an accepted format, such as the Chicago Manual of Style or The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.
- In addition, authors should inform the committee chair if their contribution has been published previously or is being considered for publication.
Internet project submissions must include:
- 250 word summary of the project.
- The name of the institution and course for which it was created.
- The name of the faculty member assigning the project.
- The project must be accessible to all of the committee members for review.
Papers and projects will be judged on their relevance to art librarianship or visual curatorship, depth of research and scholarship, quality of organization, appropriate use of terminology, style and readability, and originality of thought or observation.
Application & Deadline
Entries must be postmarked by the end of the day, November 15, 2016. They will not be returned. All applicants should receive notification of the results by December 15, 2016.
Address and mail (or e-mail) entries to:
Chair, Gerd Muehsam Award Committee
National Gallery of Art
Landover, MD 20785-3230
Phone: (202) 842-6688