2004 Post-Conference Executive Board Meeting
NY Post Conference Minutes
Elizabeth Clarke, Executive Director; Jeanne Brown, President; Allen Townsend, Past President; Margaret
Webster, Vice-President/President-Elect; Lynda White, Treasurer; Judith Herschman, Secretary; Suzy Frechette,
Midwest Reg. Rep.; Jonathan Franklin, Canadian Rep.;
Guests: Eumie Imm-Stroukoff, Ted Goodman
Brown asked Board members to introduce themselves and speak a little about their work responsibilities and activities.
a. NY Report: 2004 wrap up (Goodman)
There were 806 attendees, 626 revenue generation categories, 11 exhibitors, 48 speakers and 20 guests. There was a large international presence from many countries.
Although costs may go up a $100 or
so for administrative activities we will probably make a profit of about $45-50,000 as predicted.
Goodman raised the issue of joint conferences and proposed different models for doing such conferences. He urged that there be an initial contract.
b. Report: 2005
Schwartz says that responses to the membership meeting presentation were positive.
c. Vote: Conference guest registration conditions
Townsend was asked what constitutes a “guest.” He has surveyed the policy of other organizations and most organizations now require full fees for the whole conference. Our current policy is to charge a $95 fee which entitles a guest to attend the exhibits, the convocation, and the welcome party. While we could ask guests to pay for specific events, this would require having tickets which is an annoyance. Schwartz suggested better policing of abuses.
Motion 8: That ARLIS revise the Guest Conference Registration policy to add, “guest” does not include ARLIS members or members of affiliate societies. Approved unanimously.
Action: Schwartz will add guest information to the
d. Discussions: 2008 sites – criteria for selection.
Planned conference venues are
Some discussion ensued about
Brown suggested some criteria – the primary one being financial success. Clarke suggested that we plan that all conferences be financially successful. There was some question about whether we need to break even or make money. A reasonably profitable conference makes about $20,000. Other criteria such as quality of proposal and chapter support were thought to be important.
It was suggested that
Term limits on this committee seems to be a concern. It was recommended that the charge of the awards committee will be changed to remove “overseeing the internship funds.”
Action: Secretary needs to inform Administrative Documents Editor of extraction. Deadline May 5.
Frechette reminded the Board that the overarching awards structure needs to be reviewed at midyear meeting.
b. Development Committee
The cost of raising money needs to be factored into development. The committee also wants to get rid of the surcharge on Travel Awards by having it be incorporated into the amount requested from donors. A Task Force consisting of Townsend, Beverly Karno, and members of the Development Committee are looking into corporate sponsorship
Action: Townsend will send recommendation on Corporate Sponsorship to Board. Deadline midyear.
c. Diversity Committee
The committee proposed that the Board support a travel award of $1000 and free registration to a underrepresented minority student in good standing. This would require that the applicant identify his or her ethnicity or race in the application form. Some institutions do identify African-Americans, Native Americans, and Latinos. It was suggested that there be an award which rotates around committees with changed criteria each year. Townsend suggested that a committee who wanted to give a travel award petition the Board. Graney suggested we try to get a named award for which we would need to raise funds. It was proposed that a diversity award be given just for one year and not necessarily to a student. It was proposed that the discussion be tabled in order to discuss a more general solution and create guidelines for establishing new travel awards..
Action: Townsend, Graney, and Webster will constitute a task force to create guidelines for new travel awards for ARLS/NA. Deadline midyear.
An E-mail vote on “J” revision proposals will be sent out. White and Webster will investigate some other investments, e.g. mutual funds, for the $50,000 currently held in money market funds.
After some discussion, it was determined that, at this time, the Board does not want to eliminate the Overseas Member category as proposed at the pre-conference Board meeting. Non-renewals should be kept in database for five years as a reference. The language in the non-renewal form needs to be softened. The Committee should suggest other language.
Action: Keeran will instruct Membership Committee to draft a new letter to send to those people who have not renewed their membership. Deadline September 30
There was discussion about the establishment of a student issues roundtable. Following the roundtable establishment guidelines, 15 signatures need to be gotten and a formal proposal made by Mid Year.
Online directory needs to be indexed and searchable with some flexibility e.g. by geographical regions, by affiliation, as well as individually. We may need both institution and home address information, but complicated by which phone number to use. Last year it was decided to publish just one address, but that may have to be reconsidered. Privacy policies and appropriate permissions must be considered.
Action: Task Force consisting of White, Keeran, Webster, and Roper in conjunction with the Membership Committee will address database issues.
Motion 10: That the board accept the Membership Committee’s proposal to amend the bylaws Article II, section 2 and delete Article III, section 4. Approved unanimously
f. Nominating Committee
People need to be informed that they cannot serve on both the Board and Chapter Officers simultaneously.
Motion 11: That the Policy Manual Section G, 5 be amended to indicate that Committee chairs and DSRT Moderators be informed that they must resign their positions when they start service on the Board, if elected. Approved: 7 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention.
g. Professional Development
A discussion about what to do with
the Core Competencies document ensued. Should the Board approve of it as
is? It was noted that the document
seemed to confuse competencies with job duties. The committee will send out a
survey and solicit comments about Core Competency Document. The Committee will revise the document after
feedback is received from the membership and then submit the final document for
Board approval. It was suggested that the competencies document may influence
The committee has established an additional subcommittee to explore the implementation of a year-round mentoring program. Some members of the subcommittees come from other committees. It was suggested that the subcommittee chair not be the Committee chair.
h. Publications Committee
Jack Robertson is the current chair. He has proposed the establishment of an ARLIS Website Task Force to address the redesign. The Task Force will deal directly with ION and the content providers.
Action: The ARLIS Website Task Force consisting of Robertson, Ahmed, Franklin, Sorenson, and Dyki will deal with website issues and present the specs to the Board. Deadline, May 1.
The current issue of Update is available in members only area and archival issues will be generally available. Update will be transformed at some time in the future to a more timely news vehicle on the website and no longer offered as a benefit of membership. The Handbook front matter also needs to be posted on the website.
An Occasional Paper has been proposed. However, since only one copy of the proposal was available and the Board had had no prior opportunity to review the proposal, consideration was postponed.
The Board again raised the issue of currency of the Online Membership Directory. It was suggested that an appropriate update schedule be: weekly from January through the annual conference and monthly thereafter. The latest date should appear on each update. It is necessary to determine the information that needs to be collected and a target date for purging non-renewals online. Ultimately it would be advantageous to have an interactive online directory which captures individual members’ profiles including past service to ARLIS.
Action: White, Keeran, Roper, and Webster are assigned the responsibility to look into matters concerning the membership database, e.g. what information to request for member profile and issues surrounding renewals, and prepare a preliminary report. Deadline midyear.
i. Public Policy
The committee would like to know which subcategory of IRS 501 C3 ARLIS/NA falls under in order to determine what the society is allowed to do in the area of public advocacy. The Board determined that this was probably irrelevant to the kind of issues in which the Society is involved.
The committee is revising the Facilities and Staffing Standards document..
k. Revisions to Policy Manual concerning committee size.
The revision to the Policy Manual concerning
the size of committees was postponed until the
l. Committee Chair meetings
Committee chairs have expressed a
desire to have some sort of forum to discuss pertinent issues such as size,
term limits, etc. It was suggested also that some sort of orientation/workshop
which would encompass leadership training, information exchange, guidelines,
charges, description of duties, and tips might be helpful. Such a meeting would
provide an opportunity for chairs to talk with each other and work together. It
was agreed that a session would be planned for
4. Strategic Planning Task Force
How should board be involved in
process? We do not want to impede the
Task Force’s ability to get input from the membership, but we do want to
present to them the Board’s perspective. Graney hopes
they will get group perspectives, possibly ask a different set of
questions. The Task Force will try to
get together sometime midyear. Placeholders will be put in the budget for the possibility
of hiring an outside facilitator. The Board needs a preliminary report for midyear
in order to give feedback for the forum in
Action: Each member should review existing Strategic Plan and send two major issues to Brown to cumulate into a document before midyear. Deadline midyear.
The new moderators’ names should go to Webster and Ahmed who will update the webpages.
Motion 12: That the petition to make the Public Library group an official roundtable be accepted. Unanimously approved.
Allyssa Resnick from the Brand Library will be the moderator.
The RISS e-resources project to provide links to sites useful to ARLIS members was discussed. It would be a real commitment if maintained by ARLIS/NA since such sites often go out of date pretty quickly. Perhaps such a project should be mounted on the RISS site. The Board came to no resolution. Since teaching librarians want to affiliate with RISS there may be a forthcoming proposal to add instruction to the name of the group.
The VRD suggestion for a travel award for visual resources professionals will be discussed by the Board task force on travel award creation guidelines.
d. Art and
The Art and Design School Division has requested guidelines on what information should be on websites
e. Serials Roundtable
The Roundtable has received a petition to write a letter to Cambridge Scientific Abstracts which publishes ARTbibliographies Modern and DAAI: Design and Applied Arts Index raising the issue of whether ARLIS should be involved in affecting commercial products and services. The charge will need to be defined more clearly.
Action: Schwartz will ask Standards Committee to consider the development guidelines for products and services for the professions. Deadline May 15.
Action: Webster will get back to Serials Roundtable to inform them that we will not send forward their letter to CSA but instead forward such issues to the Standards Committee to develop more general guidelines. Deadline May 15.
f. New Art Roundtable
The New Art Roundtable had a question about term limits. The group also objected to scheduling for one hour which it thought was not enough time.
Action: Webster will inform the New Art Roundtable that moderators may be renewed with the approval of the Vice-President/President elect.
g. Membership Committee
Brown reported that the Membership Committee is considering how to address the issue of the importance of Art Librarianship to the world and the value of specialists in the light of the generalization of reference service. Further discussions will take place.
6. Policy Manual Issues.
The Regional Representatives’ reports on Chapter meetings were very useful and Brown proposed adding this function officially to their charge
Motion 13: That ARLIS/NA Executive Board amend the Policy Manual Section C-2 and C-7f to include reports to the Board via Board-L on chapter and regional meetings from the Regional and Canadian representatives. Approved unanimously.
7. HQ and Management.
a. As it turns out, the necessity for getting Board consents for sending FAXes is not important.
Townsend indicated that an evaluation of Clarke and Associated is mandated. The evaluation will occur either immediately before or after the midyear Executive Board meeting. Brown, Townsend, and Webster will be involved
Action: Townsend will solicit opinions from committees and DSRTs about performance of Management firm and questions to raise with the firm. Deadline end of July.
8. Handbook Issues
There has been a negative reaction to issuing an addendum to the published Handbook. The Board needs to get numbers from Vicky about how many have opted not to get print version. If the website directory were kept up to date more people may use it. The Publications Committee will look into publishing formats online. A pdf file might be offered as an option to print.
The Policy Manual does not now allow for the separate sale of the Handbook which only comes with membership right now. Possible option is to give, at the time of membership enrollment, the option of personal information to be sold either online or in a printed directory. We would probably need a mechanism, for receiving and keeping track of the consent and release forms. The society currently sells its mailing labels and it would be useful to know how many we sell and the revenue realized.
Action: Roper will report to the Board on how many mailing labels are sold. Deadline: Midyear
9. Bylaws changes
Motion 14: That the Board accept changes in Article 11, section 1 as put forth by Marilyn Russell: The Executive Board has the responsibility for establishing the Standing Committees of the Society and for the appointment of the officers and members of each Committee. Unanimously approved.
Action: 22. Townsend, with assistance of Starr, will develop letter explaining restructuring for Bylaws change and send to Herschman. Deadline May 15
Action: Herschman will send draft of ballot with explanations to Board for review. Deadline May 21.
Action: Board will send edits to Herschman by May 25
Action: Herschman will send final ballot to Headquarters by May 27
Action: Headquarters will send out ballot June 15.
Action: Ballot deadline will be July 20 and Herschman will tally results. Deadline midyear
Motion 15: That the Bylaws Article XIX, Section 2 first sentence be changed to read “the text of the proposed amendment shall be distributed to the individual members; and that Article XIX, Section 3 be changed to read” the ballot shall specify a voting deadline not less than 35 days from the distribution date of the proposed amendment and ballot. The ballot shall be counted by the Secretary who serves as teller. In Article XIX, Section 4 delete the word “postmark”. Approved unanimously.
Action: Graney will write explanation for this amendment.
10. Summer Education Institute
Graney reported that the SEI Task
Force viewed the $1500 startup money it was given as loans but they are asking
that this money be forgiven and kept from ARLIS’ profit in order to provide
seed money for the 2005 Institute.. The total profit is expected to be $12,000,
half of which is ARLIS’. The Task Force
also asked for a donation of a percentage of the profits to help sustain the
Action: Graney will inform the Task Force of this decision.
Action: Townsend will post Summer Institute Contract to Board Only section of website. Deadline May 10.
Action: Webster and Townsend will work on 2005 contract for the next Summer Institute considering issues of annual application, continuing budget line, etc. Deadline June 15.
Action: Webster will appoint co-chairman of institute from ARLIS/NA. Deadline September 30.
The question of whether there is a precedence for a Joint Standing Committee arose, but the discussion was postponed.
The appropriate role of ARLIS with respect to ARTstor was discussed.
The ARLIS Advisory Group of five members did not meet this year. (See p.15 of the Handbook for members) so there has not been an ongoing role. A grassroots group of ARLIS and VRA members are drafting documents for institutions to use in communicating with ARTstor about concerns.
Action: Townsend will contact Advisory Group chaired by Amanda Bowen about their activities and contact Executive Documents Editor if charge needs to be deleted from Handbook. Deadline April 30
Action: White will see if ARTstor is citing ARLIS participation. Deadline May 15.
12. Chapter Reports
The chapter officers need guidelines for financial reports which White will do by September. Chapters are responsible for their own archives; some have set up regional depositories. Archival responsibilities are posted on the ARLIS/NA website.
The Southwest chapter expressed concern about their
ARLIS Canada Bylaws state that there is no central authority
over the chapters. ARLIS is not incorporated in
The Southeast chapter wants the LoPresti award to be given at the convocation in Houston as it is the 20th anniversary for this award.
The question arose of whether the chapters are interested in
an all-chapter officer meeting at the conference in order to share good ideas
and exchange information. Regional Reps should informally poll chapter chairs to
see if they want to meet. Not all chairs attend a conference but a
representative could be designated. Time
would need to be scheduled in
14. Final Remarks.
Brown reminded everyone to look at the Management Calendar.
Meeting was adjourned.
Respectfully submitted by Judith Herschman,