30th Annual ARLIS/NA Conference
Hyatt Regency St. Louis at Union Station
Pre-Conference Executive Board Meeting
March 20, 2002
CALL TO ORDER (Goodman) 8:32
Current Board members: Leslie Abrams, West Reg. Rep.; Elizabeth Clarke,
Executive Director; Norine Duncan, Secretary; Ted Goodman, President; Paula
Hardin, South Reg. Rep.; Trudy Jacoby, Treasurer; Ursula Kolmstetter, Midwest
Reg. Rep.; Karen McKenzie, Past President; Laurie Whitehill Chong, Northeast
Reg. Rep. Incoming Board members (as observers): Phil Heagy, Treasurer; Irene
Puchalski, Canadian Reg. Rep.; Kay Teel, West Reg. Rep.; Allen Townsend,
attending: Bonnie James and Vicky Roper, Headquarters staff members.
to report on St. Louis conference: Marianne Cavanaugh and Margaret Webster.
Carole Goldsmith, Canadian Reg. Rep.
Roberts Rules of Order (Duncan)
Rules of Order will be observed.
2F. Blackboard minutes
5G. Collection Development
5Qii. Poster sessions
5S. Chapters: Midstates Bylaws
6F. Board conference travel and correct numbering of 6D. and 6E.
numbering of 7C. Graphic identity
members introduced themselves. (See above, list of attendees.)
is on our own, as is dinner. Orientation to the Board will be held afterwards,
at 8:00 p.m., in the Presidential suite. Both new and old members are encouraged
Post-Conference Board meeting agenda (Starr)
A draft was sent
out electronically prior to the conference; items that come up during this
meeting can be added as needed. Some items from today’s agenda may be
postponed to post-conference.
were distributed (same as version sent electronically before the conference).
Approved the minutes of the Online Executive Board Meeting, February 8, 2002. (7
yes, 2 not present)
Program sessions, special events, tours, workshops (Co-Chairs)
17 tours, 4 sold out. There has been local publicity for NINCH, which may bring
in additional attendees for that session. New this year, we are selling passes
to the exhibits. Only 2 tours are not making money, but none has been cancelled;
one was doubled. Headquarters staff have been very supportive.
funding raised is about $35,000 (not including in-kind donations). The largest
donors are the Getty, F.A. Bernett, and Washington University Library. $3600 was
donated by ARLIS chapters for the Welcome Party, supplemented by $2000 from the
Mercantile Library. Sessions received lots of support this year, moreso than in
Attendance figures (Clarke)
are 543 pre-registrants (630 including exhibitors). The conference was budgeted
for 600; we are short $8000 to $9000 due to not meeting that goal, and down
slightly on exhibitors. However, we are doing much better financially than
expected last fall, and better than Pittsburgh.
Conference budget (Jacoby)
Jacoby has prepared a joint budget and an ARLIS only budget. Phil Heagy will
fill in actual expenditures in late summer, and final budget will be ready in
early fall, when all bills have been paid. Division with VRA was changed last
summer based on Elizabeth Clarke’s suggestion that each organization start
with an amount it thought it needed to earn in profit, averaging from the last
few years (without including management fee for ARLIS). The result is a very
fair arrangement. Jacoby will prepare a report on the joint financing of this
conference, recommending that financial arrangements be settled in advance of
commitment to a future joint conference.
2003 Baltimore update (Starr)
will be March 20-26, 2003. The conference hotel will be the Wyndham Baltimore
Inner Harbor, which is proving easy for Headquarters to work with. A good deal
was negotiated by Headquarters; rates will be $139 single, $149 double. The
committee has been formed; Joan Stahl and Linda Tompkins-Baldwin are co-chairs.
Daniel has attended 2 meetings. Gregg Most will handle development for the
conference (as well as serving as Development Committee Chair). CPAC will be
held in June. Continuity is being provided by Ted Goodman in addition to
2004 New York (Goodman)
sent RFPs to a list of 5 hotels, of which 2 responded. The Sheraton’s response
of $219 room rate is too expensive. The second hotel is the Roosevelt, 43rd
and Madison, where ARLIS met in 1986; it has been renovated since (at a cost of
$63 million). Rate will be $189 single or double, plus tax—a good price for
New York. ARLIS’s need for meeting space limits options. Meeting rooms at
Roosevelt are not of optimal size; there are not as many mid-size rooms. Some
sessions may have to meet at other sites. The room block is 1200; meeting room
cost will break down by increments if that goal is not met. As the NY site for
2004 is already approved, no action is required by the Board at this time.
2005 Las Vegas (Abrams)
proposal has been submitted by Jeanne Brown, Chair of the Mountain West chapter.
Discussion of this possible site dates back about 2 years. Finding an
appropriate hotel is the challenge. Issues are smoking, noise, distractions,
avoiding weekend days, and lack of conference support services. Jean Brown has
suggested that we should explore non-casino hotels. Clarke mentioned that she
has heard that of off-strip hotels attract an undesirable clientele. On the
other hand, food value in Las Vegas is excellent. Spring weather would be an
attraction, and there are many possibilities for tours and activities. The
chapter is ready, and the strong leadership of Jean Brown is a definite plus. No
other proposal has been made for 2005.
Clarke to contact Las Vegas convention bureau for recommendation of conference
hotels. [3 weeks]
Clarke to investigate Texas site (Houston?) as alternative to Las Vegas.
Board reached consensus to postpone this decision to an online meeting after the
hotel issue is resolved. In future, it is advisable to have hotel negotiations
underway by Headquarters before a proposal is submitted.
LA Conference (Starr)
conference committee has submitted a report and recommendations from the very
successful conference in Los Angeles. The conference planning manual needs
updating with changes since Pittsburgh, especially to explain Headquarters’
role. When done, it should be posted to the AWS.
Goodman and Starr to follow up on LA conference report, revise conference
planning manual for posting on the AWS.
2002 Renewals (Clarke)
fees are being collected at the registration desk. There are fewer non-renewals
attending the conference than last year. People have not yet been removed from
the membership roster, and some have renewed who were not expected to.
members have disappeared, reducing income by $4,200. We also have a loss of
income of almost $2,000 from institutional members.
Puchalski to convey to Membership Committee the charge to work with
International Relations Committee to investigate decline of international
members and to recommend action, if warranted.
is common practice that some members of chapters are not national members. ARLIS/NA
bylaws do not permit the Board to approve anything that says national membership
is NOT required. Regional reps should stress our desire that chapter members
become national members. Officers of the chapters should be required to be
members. Brochures should be made available at local meetings, and membership
information should be on web sites. Chapter meetings can be a recruiting
mechanism for ARLIS/NA.
Regional reps to communicate to chapter officers the Board’s desire that
chapter members be encouraged to become national members. Also to inform them
that the ARLIS/NA bylaws do not permit the Board to approve any document that
says national membership is NOT required. Confirm that officers are national
members. Suggest that brochures be made available at local meetings, and that
information on ARLIS/NA membership be included on chapter web sites.
item 6. Puchalski to request that Membership Committee consider
feasibility of Hardin’s suggestion that chapter membership be a benefit of
national membership. Issues: legal, insurance, financial liability.
stated that membership dues need review during the coming year. She has
collected information on dues structures of other organizations. We need to look
at recovering the cost of credit card fees.
item 7. Heagy to review membership dues structure during the coming
year after comparisons to other associations are made by the Membership
to 7C. Graphic identity
Caucus is forming in order to recruit new members from Latin American countries.
Puchalski to inform Leslie Preston (Membership Committee) and Susana Tejada
(International Relations Committee) of the formation of the Latin Caucus and
follow through on developments.
COMMITTEE STATUS REPORTS
Patrick has systematized documentation on fundraising, and deserves commendation
for a truly outstanding job as chair of the committee.
Recognized and thanked Jill Patrick for her outstanding work as Chair of the
Development Committee. (7 yes, 2 not present)
Conference Speakers Fund update (Jacoby)
3-year goal is to raise $35,000 by the Baltimore conference. At present, the
fund has $13,132. From this year’s Silent Auction the committee hopes to raise
$4,500, and to reach $24,000 by the end of 2002. Until the results of the St.
Louis conference income are known, Jacoby recommends deferring consideration of
a request by the committee that $1,000 be transferred to the fund.
Board to consider transfer of funds to Conference Speakers’ Fund at Midyear
committee needs the donor card/graphic identity package to be finalized before
an appeal to the membership for contributions to the fund is launched.
tax status is an obstacle. Canadians cannot deduct contributions to ARLIS/NA.
is not optimistic that any change is imminent, as long as ARLIS/NA is not
incorporated in Canada.
Gerd Muehsam Award (Abrams)
award has been revitalized this year. Applicants were outstanding. It has been
expanded to include internet projects. Issues of archives and list of library
science faculty members teaching art librarianship have been resolved.
George Wittenborn Awards (Goodman)
directed by the Board, the committee chose one winner, 2 honorable mentions.
Norris is taking over from Sheila Klos as chair for next year.
International Relations Committee (Abrams)
continues to express disappointment that their conference proposals have not
been approved. Board cannot guarantee a program slot; decisions are made by the
conference committee. If more time is needed for putting together a program with
international speakers, the committee should begin working earlier, such as now
for New York in 2004.
Puchalski to revisit issues from 2001 Midyear meeting with International
Relations Committee (size of committee, problem with needing more time for
publications should be sent to chair of this committee. Goodman has been
From now on, Roper to send all publications received from affiliated
organizations abroad to Susana Tejada, Chair of the International Relations
Professional Development (Whitehill Chong)
Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship and ARLIS/NA Internship
Book School Fellowship Award was posted on AWS, otherwise not publicized. There
was one applicant for the ARLIS/NA Internship Award, who was accepted,
but the committee wants more applicants. An announcement of the internship needs
to be made in the fall, perhaps posted electronically.
Research (Whitehill Chong)
are discrepancies in the records of funds that carry over from one year to the
next. Also, this year Wilson sent a larger amount than expected.
Goodman to contact the Wilson Foundation to suggest that extra funds be
transferred to the Conference Speakers’ Fund. Whitehill Chong to inform the
year Worldwide funded one electronic publishing award, as well as two awards for
Collection Development (Whitehill Chong)
McKenzie, Past President, arrived.
posting to ARLIS-L was successful in identifying members interested in joining
the committee. The committee needs to work closely with, or even perhaps merge
with, the Membership committee.
North American Relations Committee (Goodman)
have named new liaisons. They want to put out a flyer, which will be part of
graphic identity package. The liaisons should be encouraged to report back to
the membership via ARLIS-L on meetings they attend.
Publications Committee (Abrams)
committee recently met its goal of having book reviews appear on the AWS. They
have also asked about redesign of the ArtDoc cover; this will be part of the
graphic identity package. A new indexer is needed for ArtDoc; put out call on
ARLIS-L. A new proposal is imminent for OP 14, a handbook on accreditation.
Publications Committee to revise the Policy Manual, Section R-9 (Publications
the past the committee has been asked to create guidelines for conference
proceedings and pre-conference programs, but they have not addressed this issue.
Goodman stated that the guidelines in use are sufficient for now. This year’s
proceedings will be joint with VRA and will be available on the AWS.
5Jia. Revisions to publications
Budget overruns (Jacoby)
has identified a new online option for delivering Update
electronically via e-mail, in color. The goal is to reduce the number of
requests for hard copy.
Roper to attend Publications Committee meeting to present the new online option
recommends that we charge postage for mailing hard copies of Update.
Next year’s membership form should reflect this policy.
Editor’s concerns (Goodman)
are no issues from Linda Zieper.
5Jiii. Art Documentation (Goodman/Abrams)
are redesign and request for a joint publication with Art
Journal. Latter is on post conference agenda. The new editors will be
working with Headquarters to implement a new production budget.
December Headquarters took over management of the Society’s advertising.
Advertisers were notified in writing of the change soon after the Midyear
meeting. Follow-up calls have been made seeking feedback. The timing of the
transfer was unfortunate, in the wake of 9/11. That event also affected
conference advertising. Many companies put off advertising until the fall issue
of ArtDoc. ARLIS has a limited number
of high-end donors. We need to find out what they want, what they think we can
Clarke to approach exhibitors at conference to solicit their opinions on
Travel award issues, especially need for long-term commitment, to be referred to
the Development Committee, perhaps to be considered as part of sponsorship
supports leadership (previously funded by Getty, Wilson). This is the only award
that helps Society leaders from North America attend the conference. However,
T&H was interested in funding it only for this year. The monetary amount is
small ($500), but it is difficult to find a sponsor. We need a long-term
commitment. How should we proceed to get funding to continue the award, or
should ARLIS fund it, or should we let it it lapse? Jacoby suggested using the
Publications Fund (profits from publications), but advised against using the
operating budget for this purpose.
donor reaffirmed $250 limit on donation ($500 Canadian). He sees small return
from it, but continues because of his relationship to the community of Canadian
art librarians. Board decided to let it be for now, reconsider at Midyear.
award was proposed by the committee, but has no sponsor, has no funds.
has offered this award of $1,000 on top of two other international awards.
Acceptance was postponed once at Midyear. Board tabled this item until
discussion of sponsorship.
till 7C. Graphic identity.
5L. AWS (Hardin)
till after lunch.
till after lunch.
task force has been assembled to plan for a continuing education workshop for VR
professionals at Rice University.
Duncan to clarify with VRAC certification needs for the proposed workshop at
5L. AWS (Hardin)
Franklin is doing an excellent job, often posts changes the day he receives
The committee is
waiting for direction from the Board. There is no charge in the Handbook. The
Board has asked its advice, then not taken action on it. Should it be a
subcommittee of the Publications Committee? Does this committee even need to
continue in existence? There is certainly a need for coordination, but perhaps
Headquarters can provide that. We already have a person receiving a stipend for
redesign of the web site. The Board decided to defer action to the
Hardin and Starr to attend AWSAB meeting to consult with members re disbanding
committee or making it a subcommittee of the Publications Committee and Abrams
to discuss this proposal with the Publications Committee.
the Nominating Committee could not find two candidates for each office this past
year, its slate listed one person for each. After an opportunity for nominations
the floor,” the proposed candidates were declared elected by acclamation.
ad hoc committee composed of Leigh Gates, Sherman Clarke, Roger Lawson, B.J.
Irvine, Marilyn Berger, and Daniel Starr has drawn up a proposal for revising
Article IX of the Society’s Bylaws to conform more closely to Robert’s
Rules of Order. The Nominating Committee will seek the most qualified person
for each vacancy to recommend to the membership
Accepted the proposed amendment to Article IX of the Bylaws, to be submitted to
the membership for approval. (8 yes, 1 not present)
NAAB Joint Task Force Condition 8 (Goodman)
group was charged during Kathryn Wayne’s presidency to work with AASL
regarding minimum no of volumes needed for accreditation of architecture school
Approved the revision to the NAAB (National Architecture Accreditation Board)
appendices, condition 8: Information Resources, submitted by the joint
AASL-ARLIS/NA Task Force on NAAB Standards. (8 yes, 1 not present)
Divisions Sections & Round Tables Highlights (Starr)
issues came up all year. Initiating communication is problematic: Vice-President
(new to Board) is liaison to all roundtables, but does not attend their meetings
Management Issues Roundtable (Goodman)
Willis and Kitty Chibnik submitted a proposal for a new roundtable; it meets all
requirements (charge and 15 signatures).
this request comes at a time when the Board is discussing reorganization, there
is no good reason not to approve it. Reorganization will take time. Midyear will
be the earliest possible time for action on organizational change. Starr
suggested that the Board now place a short-term moratorium on new groups.
Accepted the request for establishment of a new Management Issues Round Table,
as submitted by Al Willis. (5 yes, 2 no, 1 abstention, 1 not present).
Instituted a moratorium on the formation of any new Division, Section, or Round
Table until the 2003 post-conference Board meeting, in order to give the Board
and the members time to discuss the organization of the Society. (8 yes, 1 not
Poster sessions (Whitehill)
Executive Board conference reporting responsibilities (Starr)
list of Board liaisons to committees, etc., was reviewed to resolve conflicts.
envelope for reports will be placed on the bulletin board near the registration
desk. There is no form available this year. Report on issues for Board only.
Conference proceedings deadline (Goodman)
will work with John Taormina of VRA to prepare joint proceedings for this
Board still wants to review chapter bylaws changes, but we will only be looking
for conflicts with Society bylaws. We do not need to vote to approve the bylaws
of chapters, but simply to reach consensus to accept them.
Kolmstetter to report to Central Plains Chapter that their bylaws changes were
accepted by the Board.
Finance Committee (Jacoby)
The Board at Midyear erroneously voted to disband the Finance Committee (Motion #9); such an action would require a bylaws change. The error was rectified by Motion #23. There remains work for this committee to do. A Board subcommittee (Jacoby, McKenzie, Abrams, and Starr) met after Midyear to revise the charge and composition of the existing committee. It will be a Board subcommittee and have an advisory role. The Board has the overall fiscal picture, and the Board is insured. (Committee chairs are not.) Membership will consist of Past Treasurer (Chair), President, Vice-President/President-Elect, Past President, and one other member to be appointed by the committee chair. The Treasurer will be Board Liaison. The new charge will be posted on the AWS. Control of investments rests with the Treasurer, who must follow investment policy. We are returning to the tradition of having the ex-Treasurer serve as chair of the Finance Committee. Karen McKenzie has agreed to serve as the “one other member appointed by the Chair.”
Approved the recommended changes to the structure and charge of the Finance
Committee. (8 yes, 1 not present)
new charge is printed in the 2002-2003 ARLIS/NA Handbook.]
all of the market fluctuation of the past year, ARLIS/NA experienced no loss of
funds. All individual stocks held in the Schwab account were divested. During
the course of the year, we moved funds within Schwab from Money Market fund to
Value Advantage Money Market fund, in order to have a lower management fee and
greater yield. Our Canadian money market funds averaged 4% return. We saved
$1,800 this year by not paying a financial advisor. We probably do not need one,
given the type of investment policy we have. To establish safeguards, the
section of the Policy Manual on finances needs revision. The Finance Committee
could do this. The auditor could be asked to confirm its statement that the
Society is following its investment policy. (A full audit is done every 2-3
Finance Committee to undertake the rewriting of Policy Manual section J.
Motion to change signatories (Jacoby)
in excess of $500 must be signed by the Treasurer; those over $1,000 require two
signatures. Names must be changed annually.
Recognized the seating of a new Executive Board on March 24, 2002, and
authorized the changing of financial account signatories on all ARLIS/NA
accounts, [to include] Daniel Starr, President; Allen Townsend, Vice President;
Phil Heagy, Treasurer; Norine Duncan, Secretary; Elizabeth Clarke, Executive
Director; and Bonnie James, Headquarters staff. (8 yes, 1 not present)
to the financial success of the LA conference, ARLIS/NA has no cash flow
problem, and our books are clean. Expenses are recorded in the year for which
they are budgeted. The expenses of changing management firms twice in quick
succession did cause cash flow difficulties, which are now resolved. Our goal is
to have 6 months to 1 year’s worth of operating expenses held in reserve. Our
two restricted funds should be looked at. Electronic communication has reduced
cost of communication; committees no longer need budgets for conference calls
and mailings. Summary budget is available for sharing with membership. Format is
open to revision. A task to be done is analysis of the cost to maintain a
member; Treasurer could initiate formation of a group to study this prior to
revising dues structure.
Heagy to initiate analysis of cost to maintain a member.
Some bad debt was
written off this year, on advice of our auditor. We need a better way of
collecting what is owed to us (approximately $20,000 total), especially payment
for advertising. A new list of debts, separated into sales and advertising,
would be helpful. In the past, ads were invoiced at time of publication. Now
that Headquarters is responsible for advertising, should we be sending invoices
earlier, or requiring prepayment? Although instances of nonpayment for
publication are for small amounts, they add up to a large debt. After
discussion, the Board agreed that prepayment should be required on both
publications and advertisements.
Abrams to inform Publications Committee that the Board reached consensus on new
policy for selling advertising and publications: ARLIS/NA will require
prepayment or purchase order on all; credit card use possible.
One of the
problems with recruiting for the Board is the cost a member incurs while serving
the Society. There is no stipend or honorarium. A Board subcommittee (Clarke,
Starr, McKenzie, and Jacoby) recommends that Board compensation be revised as
follows: Board members should receive support for conference attendance in
addition to travel reimbursement ($400). (Travel reimbursement is not regarded
as taxable income by the IRS.) The committee proposes that Board members also
receive complimentary registration for the conference, and that they should not
have to pay for “food events” that they are required to attend. Sometimes
the Society received complimentary rooms from the hotel (which must first be
used for Headquarters staff); in addition, the proposal calls for paying one
half the room rate for a Board member’s hotel cost (thus providing incentive
to share rooms). The Board agreed
that this plan should be implemented, if financially possible, in next year’s
budget, to apply to all members (including incoming Board members). If Board
members have institutional support, they will be encouraged to use it.
presented gavel to Goodman as memento of his presidency.
Headquarters annual report (Clarke)
presented highlights of the Headquarters annual report. Transition from working
with McKenzie’s Board to Goodman’s Board went very smoothly. Excessive
communication (mostly by e-mail) was reined in and is no longer taking up so
much of Clarke’s time and time of Headquarters staff. (Last year Headquarters
received 25,000 e-mails relating to ARLIS/NA.) Board receives a financial report
monthly from Bonnie James. The new conference management software has proved to
be a useful tool. Headquarters now has a new database of members (in MS Access)
that it can rely upon.
Management calendar (Roper)
has entered data from our management calendar into an online format (freeware at
www.calsnet.com) recommended by Hardin. It can be linked on the AWS. Information
can be viewed by dates or by individuals and groups. Committee chairs can post
deadlines on the calendar, if they wish. They should send such requests to their
Board liaisons, and the Board member will forward to Roper. The Board agreed
that we should use this format and discontinue the text format.
Roper to have Derek Crosley put a link on the AWS for the new Management
Calendar, and to discontinue text format.
Roper to inform committee chairs that they can send deadlines to her, through
their Board liaisons, for posting on Management Calendar.
Graphic identity (Clarke)
product marketing plan will be discussed at post-conference meeting. She will
also present it at the Leadership Breakfast. It should be viewed as a
suggestion, based on experience and comments received, not a plan to generate
work for the management firm. In benchmarking, Clarke wants to take a broader
perspective and compare ARLIS/NA to successful organizations of like size in
requested at the Midyear meeting, Clarke requested a design package from Ion
Communications, consisting of membership brochure, presentation folder,
publications brochure. The Board (including incoming members) chose one of the 3
styles of logo provided. This look can be transferred to the AWS, the Handbook,
membership form, etc. The Board liked the consistency of design for several
products. Conference program cover, however, can reflect locality.
Clarke to consult with committee chairs of Development and Publications re
graphic identity package. Also to
present samples to the Publications Committee and Development Committee at their
Board will revisit the design package at the post-conference meeting, and talk
about budgetary implications.
Motion to accept Society [exec dir] annual report for 2001/02 (Starr)
has in fact participated in past efforts to address the issue that was recently
a hot topic on ARLIS-L. Goodman was informed that Ann Abid represented ARLIS/NA
on an inter-association
task force that prepared a report on image of the librarian, published through
SLA in 1990 (not available electronically). Librarians and schools were
surveyed. A marketing plan was to be developed from the information collected.
Starr observed that the image of librarians in general is more appropriately the
responsibility of ALA. ARLIS/NA should focus on the profession of art
can the Board do to enhance the reputation of the Society and art librarianship
within the library profession? Look for opportunities in our groups during the
conference to enhance the image or outreach of ARLIS/NA. Individuals can make a
need to do a better job of reporting on what we already do, promoting the
Society to our colleagues in other library specialties.
e-mail from Laura Schwarz, President of ARLIS/Texas-Mexico, expressed concern
about the apparent lack of interest by Mexican librarians in ARLIS/NA membership
and chapter participation. Meanwhile, the Latin American caucus is being formed.
The Board decided that it was too early to consider renaming the chapter, but
that Hardin could relay to the chapter leadership that they need not put a lot
of energy into recruitment. Perhaps the broader approach of the caucus is more
appropriate and will be more successful. The Latin Caucus will hold a meeting
during the conference in the presidential suite. Goodman will report at the
post-conference Board meeting.
and Starr will meet on Saturday with Max Marmor, Max’s boss, and Ann Whiteside
of VRA to discuss Mellon’s ArtSTOR proposal. They will report post-conference.
of ARLIS/NA signing on to the Amicus brief was also deferred to the
post-conference Board meeting.
Board members were thanked for their service. A farewell gift was presented to
The meeting adjourned at 6:00 p.m.
Approved at the 2002 Midyear meeting, 8/10/2002