LIBRARIES SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
MID-YEAR EXECUTIVE BOARD MEETING
10 & 11, 2002
Bard Graduate Center
38 West 86th Street, New York City
69. Starr to thank Greta Earnest for hosting the midyear
meeting of the Executive Board at the Bard Graduate Center.
70. Clarke to revise contract to specify HQ support for
Townsend to contact ARLIS/NA’s lawyer to request that he review the contract
with Clarke Associates Management Services.
72. Board to approve contract for renewal in May 2003.
73. Goodman to continue revision of Policy Manual and to
send out by e-mail sections for review by appropriate persons. Finish revision
by December 31.
74. Board members to consider what should be done with
existing oral histories of the Society. Also, should the oral history program
continue, and if so, how?
75. Goodman to revise Conference Planning Manual with the input of Margaret Webster and Marianne Cavanaugh and consultation with the Baltimore conference chairs
76. Clarke to review the section on Headquarters role in
the Conference Planning Manual and suggest revisions.
77. Heagy to review the Treasurer section of the Conference
Planning Manual and suggest revisions.
78. Whitehill Chong and Kolmstetter to revise Chapter
Success Book to reflect change in attendance at CPAC meeting: Chair of host
chapter will be included instead of Regional Rep.
79. Goodman to change Policy Manual to reflect change in
attendance at CPAC meeting: Chair of host chapter will be included instead of
Regional Rep. Past President will attend.
80. Bonnie James (HQ) to post $20K conference expense for
management fee, reducing profit from joint conference.
81. Heagy to authorize check for $10K to be sent to VRA
now, balance to follow when books are closed.
82. Sue Rawlyk (HQ) to clarify Wyndham by Request program
restrictions and post to ARLIS-L. Before Sept. 1
83. Clarke to contact the Warwick Hotel in Houston to
determine if it has rooms and meeting rooms enough to serve as the conference
hotel for 2005. If necessary, Clarke to investigate other possible hotels or
meeting spaces in Houston
84. Schwarz to inform the Texas/Mexico chapter of the
Board’s interest in entertaining a proposal to host the 2005 conference in
Houston, to be submitted by Nov. 1.
85. Teel to inform the Mountain West chapter of the
Board’s decision not to accept their invitation to host the 2005 conference in
Las Vegas. Starr to follow up in early Sept.
86. Starr to contact Ross Day to put him in touch with
Jonathan Franklin about making his document on past conference sessions
available on the AWS.
87. Starr to inform Nominating Committee that slate should
be posted on ARLIS-L and the AWS asap, with a call for nominations from the
88. Whitehill Chong to revise guidelines for the Robertson
Award after consultation with Terry Belanger of the Rare Book School.
89. Whitehill Chong to ask Heather Ball to consult chair of
VRAC (Mary Wassermann) for suggestions of web sites relevant to visual resources
90. Kolmstetter to ask Publications Committee to consult
with B. J. Irvine about finding a person to write a technology supplement to the
Facility Standards, and if necessary, to issue a call on ARLIS-L.
91. Kolmstetter to tell committee to continue to work with
Vicky Roper and Jonathan Franklin, seeking alternate software for ARLIS/NA
Update, while continuing with status quo.
92. Kolmstetter to have the Publications Committee post a
message on ARLIS-L soliciting applications for indexer of the 20-year Index to Art
Documentation, after they write a job description.
93. Goodman to inform RLG that Board accepted its offer to
sponsor a Middle Eastern travel award.
94. Duncan to have information posted on the AWS about the
ARLIS/NA-VRA Joint Education Task Force.
95. Duncan to advise VRAC to have the task force consult
with the Development Committee on fundraising for the workshop at Rice
96. Starr to contact ad
hoc committee chairs to convey Board’s decision on each, to keep liaisons
informed, and to post to ARLIS-L the rationale for reorganizing the Society.
97. Following Starr’s initial notification of committee
chairs, Board liaisons to contact chairs of ad hoc committees to respond
to their questions and concerns, to ask them to complete all projects in
process, and to thank them for their service to the Society.
98. Townsend to look at the charges of standing committees
and propose revisions.
99. Townsend and Teel to study the administration of all
awards and to submit to the Board a proposal for consolidating those
100. Roper to place Thames & Hudson ad in online
version of Update, retroactively.
101. Starr to post a message to ARLIS-L explaining how to
102. Roper to send to Board and Publications Committee the
list of advertisers for suggestion of additions.
103. Kolmstetter to inform Publications Committee that the
Board did not approve the $100 stipend requested for creating an annual index to
Art Documentation, but that the stipend for the 20-year index was
approved at $600 rather than $500.
104. Heagy to budget for Board conference support:
complimentary registration fees for 14 persons, plus $3,000 for hotel rooms.
105. Duncan to inform VRAC that $500 for Joint Educational
Task Force was removed from the 2003 budget due to postponement of the workshop
at Rice University.
Townsend to advise the Academic Division to apply for a grant from the Research
Awards Committee to fund its proposed survey.
107. Teel and Schwartz to inform their chapters that
funding requests for proposed joint meetings were approved by the Board.
108. Heagy to follow up on about 10 bad debts, hoping to
collect about $1,000.
109. Schwartz to suggest alternative naming scheme to
110. Starr to communicate to Gregg Most that the Board
approved the concept of his plan, minus planned giving that we don’t have
expertise to implement. Revised proposal to be ready by Sept. 30.
111. Clarke to revise corporate sponsorship proposal to
have just two levels, $5,000 and $10,000. Include attendance at reception,
exhibit booth. Package to be ready to include in exhibitors’ prospectus,
mailed in the fall.
112. Development Committee to follow up on corporate
sponsorship mailing with telephone calls.
113. Regional Reps to notify chapters that all chapter
fundraising has to go through Development Committee. Chapters are not to solicit
funds directly from donors.
114. Heagy to move funds from Publications designated fund
to fully capitalize Speakers fund. Fundraising for this purpose to continue.
115. Townsend to inform Linda Tompkins-Baldwin of Board
action on Speakers fund, specifically that $1,000 will be available for non-ARLIS
speaker(s) at the Baltimore conference.
116. Goodman to check for any restrictions on use of
117. Heagy to rename anniversary fund as ARLIS/NA Travel
Grant Fund, to be used to continue the domestic travel award that lacks a
sponsor. Fundraising to continue.
118. Heagy to rename the research fund as the ARLIS/NA
Heagy and Goodman to document rationale for Board’s disposition of designated
120. Task force on dues structure (Puchalski, Townsend,
Heagy, and Leslie Preston) to propose a revised membership dues structure to be
voted on at the membership meeting in Baltimore, or by mail afterwards.
121. Clarke to consult with ARLIS/NA’s lawyer and Derek
Crosley about how to reconcile privacy concerns with our desire to have online
122. Roper and Clarke to draft membership form so that it
will be most useful for producing the handbook and building the database, and to
submit to the Board for review and approval. (Charge $20 for mailing hardcopy Update;
separate Subscriber from membership and include in the Publications section;
delete donations section; include all affiliated societies.)
123. Roper to periodically send new members’ names to the
appropriate chapter chairs.
124. Puchalski to inform the 2 volunteers from ARLIS/Canada
that they have the Board’s approval to proceed with translating the membership
form and brochure into French. (French version to state that all business of
ARLIS/NA is conducted in English.)
125. Schwartz to seek volunteer(s) to translate membership
form and brochure into Spanish. (Spanish version to state that all business of
ARLIS/NA is conducted in English.)
126. Starr to discuss with Kerri Scannell the feasibility
of sending out a monthly message reminding members that the listserv is open and
suggesting that they use the members only section of the web site (when
available) for posting personal messages such as calls for roommates at the
127. Clarke to ask Derek Crosley to implement Board only
area of web site ASAP. Also to post a notice in October designating the area
that will become members-only as of January 1, 2003.
128. Schwartz to ask AWSAB for suggestions on designing the
members and public areas of the web site. Which pages to get rid of? Inform of
Goodman’s work on Policy Manual and Conference Planning Manual. Keep
Publications Committee informed and cc Starr and Kolmstetter as well as Betsy
Peck Learned on important communications. Deadline October 1. Also, plan for
membership directory online after January 1.
129. Kolmstetter to inform Betsy Peck Learned of Board’s
charge to AWSAB, and to tell her that the Board will reconsider next year giving
the Publications Committee editorial control over the AWS.
130. Board to discuss Clarke’s proposal for certification
of art librarians via Board-L.
131. Whitehill Chong to send Clarke’s proposal for
certification of art librarians to the Professional Development Committee for
132. Kolmstetter to refer the Denver art museum issue to
Carol Pardo, liaison to AAM, for follow up, or to Paula Epstein, chair of NARC,
if Pardo is unwilling or unable to accept this responsibility.
133. Puchalski to contact Gregg Most about having Marilyn
Berger seek additional funding of the Mirvish award.
134. Puchalski to seek a member of ARLIS/Canada to
translate the Dwyer award certificate into French so that a bi-lingual version
can be printed.
135. Kolmstetter and Whitehill Chong to revise the Chapter
Success Book to include the attendance at CPAC of the chair of the host chapter.
136. Whitehill Chong to send the Chapter Success Book to
Jonathan Franklin for posting on the AWS, and to post to ARLIS-L when it is
137. Townsend to consult the ARLIS/NA attorney about the
need for chapters to incorporate separately to comply with IRS regulations.
138. Schwartz to fax to Townsend the Texas chapter IRS
139. Townsend to inform David Sullivan of the moratorium on
forming new round tables, and to suggest that the group interested in Classical
Archaeology self-schedule at the Baltimore conference.
140. Townsend to inform the Public Library Division
(Jeffrey Stephens) and the Indigenous Art & Culture Round Table (Ross
Day) that the Board has dissolved them.
141. Townsend to gather information on DSRT activities from
conference reports and HQ records, especially numbers of participants. Board to
review and take action, if warranted, at the pre-conference meeting in
142. Starr to update Action Items and drop those that are done.