SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
Midyear Executive Board Meeting
Avery Architectural and Fine Arts Library
Columbia University, New York, New York
August 11 – 13, 2001
CALL TO ORDER (Goodman) 1:07
Leslie Abrams, West Regional Rep.; Elizabeth Clarke, Executive Director; Norine
Duncan, Secretary; Ted Goodman, President; Paula Hardin, South Regional Rep.;
Trudy Jacoby, Treasurer; Ursula Kolmstetter, Midwest Regional Rep.; Karen
McKenzie, Past President; Daniel Starr, Vice-President/President-Elect; Laurie
Whitehill Chong, Northeast Regional Rep. Also attending: Vicky Roper,
Headquarters staff member.
Robert’s Rules of Order (Duncan)
Robert’s Rules of Order to be observed. Permission was obtained from all present to record the meeting. (In accordance with the Policy Manual, tapes are destroyed after acceptance of the minutes.)
Meal arrangements (Goodman)
at this time.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES
Los Angeles Pre-Conference 3/28 (including 4/2 continuation)
corrections from earlier e-mail review have already been made. Additional
corrections were suggested at this time (correct misspellings of personal names;
remove personal names as appropriate; delete one sentence in item no. 8.) The
minutes were accepted as amended.
The minutes were accepted as submitted.
HEADQUARTERS AND MANAGEMENT
Headquarters report (Clarke)
Clarke presented her report, only slightly revised from the report to the membership that she posted to ARLIS-L. She stated that the correspondence, including e-mail, that Headquarters is now receiving is useful and no longer excessive in quantity. Few contacts by members are negative. Board members are encouraged to let Headquarters know if they feel “out of the loop” now that e-mail correspondence has declined. Jonathan Franklin and Derek Crosley met face to face for the first time, and Franklin is now enabled to make web site updates himself. Crosley is ready to move forward with setting up an online membership registration form. Headquarters plans to issue a new Handbook in January, 2002.
to send copy of membership database to Hardin.
Financial systems (Clarke)
budget simplification project is proceeding. An example of expediting process is
that checks less than $500 are now paid directly by Headquarters. As a result,
bills are paid on time and the Society is not being assessed late fees. Bonnie
James sends monthly statements directly to Board-L. The Board thanked and
commended Clarke for progress in gaining control of the Society’s business.
Jacoby reiterated the responsibility of Board members to be aware of where
revenue comes from and how the Society expends it. She suggested an orientation
for new Board members on financial systems.
Jacoby, Duncan, and Headquarters to discuss plans for orientation for new Board
deferred until Monday morning.
Membership database (Roper)
membership database is in MS Access software, with programmed queries for
labels, handbook, mailing lists, renewal letters, etc. Accuracy of data is being
checked by the Membership Committee. Handbook indexes can be generated from the
database. Committee chairs are authorized to request data in the formats they
need. They should submit requests for new requirements to the Board for
discussion on an annual cycle. The Board discussed the need for the membership
database to do more, especially to enable analysis. The ability for members to
access and edit their own records is desirable. There is relevant Canadian
legislation on privacy; Clarke is aware of it and is educating herself.
to send data to J. Franklin for updating the e-mail directory of members on the
Membership statistics (Roper)
The Society has 1,211 members as of July 31, 2001.
Membership renewals (Roper)
Membership Committee (Goldsmith)
committee has drafted a revised membership form. How does this relate to the
effort to establish a graphic identity for ARLIS/NA? The draft form is the
content, and should eventually be given to a designer for production. Jacoby
requested that the tax ID number be removed from the top of both pages; there is
no need for it on the form.
Goldsmith to ask for comments on the membership renewal form via Board-L, then
to return it to the Membership Committee with directives for final revision.
Headquarters to implement online renewal for October/November. There will be an
option of using the printed form. The latter should bear a notice that online
renewal is available.
to re-examine dues structure within the next year.
to consider how to distribute and make use of all the information collected on
the membership form. Roles of Membership Committee and Headquarters need to be
Contacting non-renewals (Goodman)
Non-renewals from the past two years, totaling 321, were sent to Leslie Preston, chair of the Membership Committee. These were divided geographically and sent to regional representatives. Copies of the lists were circulated among Board members at this meeting for annotation. About two-thirds of the non-renewals are persons who have left librarianship, or were student members who have now graduated. Since they have not been removed from the membership database, they have been receiving publications free of charge. It was decided to cut our losses and make no further effort to contact the non-renewals individually by telephone.
Headquarters to remove non-paid members from the mailing list for publications.
Renewal notices to be mailed at regular time. If the people on the non-renewal
list do not rejoin, Headquarters to transfer them to the lapsed members file,
and to record the last date dues were paid.
to add field to database to track whether person is a current paid member or
to prepare and distribute a membership report to the Board quarterly.
Goodman to post to ARLIS-L a final notice for renewals, advising all with
address changes to notify Headquarters. (August)
Goodman to post to ARLIS-L re benefits of membership. (September)
to consider financial implications of establishing a Life membership for ARLIS/NA.
Chong reported on the Northeast Regional Meeting, hosted by ARLIS/New York,
ARLIS/Delaware Valley, and ARLIS/DC/Maryland/Virginia at the Philadelphia Museum
of Art and at Bryn Mawr College. New England Chapter is preparing for IFLA
Pre-Conference in Boston, August 16-17. Registrations have already exceeded
expectations. No issues for the Board.
of Michigan Chapter
Kolmstetter reported on the dissolution of the Michigan Chapter (June 6). Remaining funds were transferred to the ARLIS/Midstates account. Former Michigan Chapter members have been officially invited to become members of ARLIS/Midstates.
to investigate the disposition of the Michigan Chapter archives and arrange for
shipment to ARLIS/NA archives at Syracuse University.
6B2. Central Plain
The Board discussed the request by the Central Plains Chapter to change its by-laws to include a Life membership category, and concluded that a bylaws change was not required to do so. Section III.B.1 of their bylaws states: “Dues shall be proposed by the Executive Committee and shall be ratified by member vote at the last meeting of the calendar year.”
Kolmstetter to advise the Central Plains Chapter that the Executive Committe may
proceed with adding a Life membership category. Neither Board approval nor a
by-laws amendment is necessary to permit them to take that action.
6B3. Ohio Chapter
The Ohio Chapter wishes to pay the dues of their officers.
Kolmstetter to advise the Ohio Chapter that paying the dues for their officers
is a chapter decision not requiring Board approval.
Goldsmith attended two chapter meetings, in Vancouver and Ontario. Distance of travel for Canadian representative is an issue; funds are quickly used up. A join meeting with the Northwest Chapter at Banff is in planning, but no date set as yet. Suggestions for bylaws changes do not need to be discussed by the Board. The Melva Dwyer award needs something to be handed out to winners; needs to be re-designed as an ARLIS/NA award. (Prints formerly given out are used up.)
West Regional Representative
of this issue deferred to agenda item 8D.
South Regional Representative
Action item: Hardin to encourage Texas-Mexico Chapter to submit a proposal to host a conference.
DIVISIONS, SECTIONS, ROUNDTABLES (Starr)
has not solicited issues and none have been brought to him. The resignation of
the newly-elected GLIRT moderator was resolved when the previous chair agreed to
continue in office for another year.
ARLIS/NA Website Editor (Hardin)
mentioned by Clarke in her report, Jonathan Franklin and Derek Crosley are
collaborating more closely after meeting in person.
members to notify Goodman by e-mail if they note anything on the ARLIS/NA web
site that should be removed, to be added to his list for Franklin.
has proposed two different designs of the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS). No action has
been taken pending executive decision about establishing a graphic identity for
the Society. AWSAB is confused about what sponsorship means—is it sponsorship
of the AWS, or of ARLIS/NA? The Board needs to decide what we want. Donations
and advertisements have very different tax consequences for both sponsors and
ARLIS/NA. Sponsorship opportunities might be offered as a benefit of membership
for corporate members (i.e., an inducement to become a member). What is the role
of AWSAB—do they decide on content only, or are they involved in preparing the
HTML? How should they work with Crosley? What is the role of the Technology
Committee? It has been struggling for three years to find its identity. Article
XI Section 8 of the Bylaws authorizes the Board to dissolve a committee,
“when, in the opinion of the Board, its usefulness has ceased.”
Board unanimously approved dissolving the Technology Committee, with a
suggestion that they continue their activities as a Round Table if they so
Goodman to inform Technology Committee that it is dissolved and to suggest that
its members consider reconstituting as a Round Table (15 signatures required).
He will also communicate this decision to the membership.
to thank AWSAB, ask them to put work on hold until Development plan is ready;
their input will be solicited at a later date.
to work with AWSAB, Development Committee, Jacoby and others to respond to
ARLIS-L Moderator (Goodman)
to investigate how to send Mary Molinaro a gift certificate for the Berea Craft
Chapter Web Sites
Question: can the chapter web sites be hosted on the AWS
and maintained by Crosley?
Crosley currently links to sites maintained elsewhere. Clarke Associates Management (CAMS) does not work closely with the chapters. Starr pointed out that including rich content would attract viewers to the AWS. Jacoby suggested that we define the content that will be included, and if Chapters want more, they could have their own separate web sites. Hardin mentioned the option of using “My Association” software or other options besides depending on CAMS. For now, the AWS is integrated with the management of the Society, and the Board agreed that CAMS should be given an opportunity to succeed. Chapters are not obligated to have web sites. Perhaps the Technology Round Table could offer training at a conference workshop on how to run a chapter web site. Chapter sites may be supported by advertising; at this time, there is nothing to prevent it, although it might be in conflict with fundraising for the national Society.
Action item: Duncan to ask Franklin to post a statement on the AWS to the effect that it is the administrative site of the Society, and that individual chapters may maintain their own web sites, linked from this site.
Starr noted that it may be difficult to market an administrative site to sponsors. The proposal by AWSAB for sponsorship was tabled and turned over to the Development Committee. The Board needs to address the sponsorship issue when considering the Executive Director’s contract. There is a need for strategic oversight and coordinated planning that is not part of the current contract. Depending on volunteer committees does not provide the necessary continuity to sustain a coherent marketing plan.
Action item: Hardin to check on linking to vendor sites; is this considered to be advertising?
The meeting was adjourned at 5:35.
August 12, 9:00 – 5:30
meeting convened at 9:11.
thanked Jacoby for her extraordinary effort to bring order to the Society’s
finances and to work with Bonnie James at Headquarters to establish a simplified
financial system. It will allow the Society to account for income and expenses
in their proper years. The Society’s operating accounts (one in U.S. currency,
one in Canadian currency) are in a Canadian bank. There are also two investment
accounts, one in Canada and one with Schwab. An effort has been made to shut
down all extra accounts that were opened at conference venues. Accepting
payments by credit card costs the Society 3% in fees. An analysis of the cost of
maintaining a member is needed. Board compensation needs to be reconsidered, as
to submit report on the products that are benefits of membership. Are they
covered by the membership fee?
Clarke, with input from Jacoby, to include pie-chart graph in her annual report
to inform members of what real costs are; also, to explain the need for the
Society to make a profit.
McKenzie, Jacoby, and Starr to prepare a motion for additional Board
compensation (such as covering basic conference registration fee or hotel
Board reviewed the following budgets: brief and detailed budget for 2001-02,
funding requests from committees for FY2002, the St. Louis conference budget,
the budget for conference tours, and budget for the previous VRA conference.
The conference budget is separate from the rest of the Society’s budget. Jacoby does not expect a cash shortfall this year, largely thanks to the Los Angeles conference.
and Board travel remain the same as last year, except that funds have been
budgeted for a trip by the new Treasurer to Headquarters for orientation.
$20,000 of the Management fee has been allocated to the conference budget.
$1,800 is being saved by not paying a financial advisor. General liability
insurance has been purchased on the advice of counsel. Administrative expenses
are now budgeted more realistically, based on recent actual costs; now that
costs are known, Headquarters can look for ways to cut costs. Publications
income needs attention to how we price and how we deliver. Cost of sending them
needs to be carefully considered.
Abrams, Clarke, Jacoby and Kathy Corcoran to review the publications program and
revise it to make money for the Society.
end-of-year problems are expected. The intention is to restore $46,000 to the
Schwab investment account at the end of the fiscal year.
to have Headquarters staff prepare cash flow statements.
budget: Our conference fees are actually quite low, especially considering the
expectations of the membership that there will be free food at events. We need
to work toward having higher fees that cover more benefits. Institutional
funding is more likely to cover general fees than meals or special events.
Because the coming conference is joint with VRA, we cannot move forward on this
initiative until the following year. Conference income for 2002 is
unpredictable. The policy now is never to have a sponsored event without payment
and Jacoby to write text for policy manual stating that a sponsored event at a
conference must be paid in advance.
Recurring membership dues will be grouped together in next budget, separated from committee expenses. Committees must request funds for a specific purpose; the requests are evaluated and may be denied. Only two special funding requests, which were due June 1, have been received from chapters.
Regional reps to double check with their chapters to be sure that no request has
been lost. (No new requests will be accepted.)
Muehsam Award amount has been raised to $500 plus complimentary basic conference
registration fee and one year’s membership in ARLIS/NA.
was added to the budget for producing a certificate for the Melva J. Dwyer
for funding of separate mailings by Travel Awards and Professional Development
committees were not granted.
Goldsmith to remind Travel Awards committee chair to submit copy to Headquarters
in time for inclusion with regular fall mailing (deadline: 2 weeks before
mailing on Oct. 1).
Whitehill Chong to notify Professional Development committee chair of same
deadline for Robertson Internship.
to have Headquarters coordinate mailings to reduce cost. Also to standardize the
copy for advertising these awards, so that only updating is necessary each year.
to notify Board liaisons when copy is due for mailings.
Board unanimously approved the ARLIS/NA budget for fiscal 2002, as amended.
Goldsmith commended Jacoby for her thorough presentation of the Society’s finances. The budget may be revised in the fall.
to post revised budget to Board-L, with a list of notes explaining changes.
break 11:55 to 1:12.
INVESTMENT ACCOUNT & FINANCE COMMITTEE (Jacoby)
invested funds are now in money market accounts. The Society no longer has any
investment in individual stocks. Jacoby has set up web access to the Schwab
account. Signatures are needed on the documents to change signatories on the
account. Considering the market last year, the slight loss of value in ARLIS/NA’s
portfolio is not as bad as might be expected (about $700). Besides the Schwab
account, ARLIS/NA also has money market account at CIBC (Canadian bank), where
there is also an operating account. Jacoby recommends that we return funds that
were moved from the investment account (now Schwab) last December and in March.
This can be done later this year, after cash flow analysis. It will be easier to
track investments if they are consolidated in the Schwab account. Presently, the
CIBC money market account holds both operating funds and investment funds.
Interest earned will be allocated to funds for designated purposes (e.g.,
Research Awards). Money markets are yielding about 5% currently.
thinking is that the Finance Committee should be a Board subcommittee (at least
3 members) with possibly (2) extra members. The Society’s finances are the
Board’s responsibility. We need to provide for continuity despite the
necessary turnover in the office of Treasurer. Headquarters also plays an
important role in ensuring continuity. Another possibility is to have an
Board unanimously approved dissolving the Finance Committee, with thanks for its
past efforts. [Rescinded by Motion #23]
Following dissolution of the Finance Committee, Officers of the Board to act as
a subcommittee on finance and to confer re finances and investment.
aim will be preservation of capital with a modest return. Most likely our funds
will be invested in conservative mutual funds. Review twice a year should be
sufficient. These funds should not be subject to cash flow.
Los Angeles wrap-up (Clarke)
was thanked for the many hours of support by CAMS staff.
Final budget report (Jacoby)
income is not complete, pending transfer of some of the hotel commission back to
Clarke. The commission funds should be removed from the conference budget, since
it has to do with management fees. The conference made a profit of about
$99,000, which will help to resolve transition costs from change of management
firms and cash flow issues. Fundraising should be a regular integral part of
conference planning. Two years in a row, we have had fully funded convocations.
Exhibits, workshops, and tours contributed to the financial success of the
Conference Planning manual (Goodman)
First draft of budget is ready, but not yet ready for Board approval. Silent Auction, which had been dropped from the schedule, has been reinstated; it will be a joint event.
Jacoby, Kathy Zimon, and Ann Lally to contact Mark Pompelia and other VRA
representatives and to discuss post-conference publication. Joint publication,
if feasible, is encouraged. It might be a special journal issue of Art Documentation and the VRA
CPAC report (Goodman, Clarke, Starr)
met in June with VRA in the hotel for two days. Clarke and S. Rawlyk from CAMS
attended. Web site is already up with partial information on program and tours.
Every day’s activities will be one day earlier than usual for an ARLIS/NA
conference. Six workshops are planned, 18 tours, 5 seminars, 16 sessions. There
will be a joint welcome party and joint convocation. NINCH will hold an opening
plenary session, and there will be a closing plenary session including speakers
from image database projects.
were set for publications and mailings. Mark Pompelia is acting as editor of
publications; CAMS will print and distribute them.
to update Management Calendar, including CPAC deadlines and post to Board-L,
ARLIS-L, and the AWS. (September 1)
St. Louis conference budget is still in process. For instance, expenses for
credit card fees have not been added.
Division of profit (Jacoby)
profit for St. Louis is $40,000 to $43,000, after deduction of management fees.
The Board discussed several proposals for ways to distribute conference revenue
between ARLIS/NA and VRA.
Goodman, Jacoby, and Starr to meet with Ann Whiteside at IFLA in Boston (and
Elisa Lanzi, if possible) to find an equitable solution to the conference budget
that is based on a formula. A written agreement is needed now, to be submitted
to the Board for approval at the next online meeting.
A list of local fundraising possibilities was compiled by Martha Childers before she resigned. Fundraising is getting a late start, but several possibilities are being investigated by individuals with connections.
Tompkins-Baldwin has a committee in place that has already met. A call for
session ideas might be put out before the St. Louis conference.
hotel contract with the Windham, negotiated by CAMS, has been signed.
will schedule for June 2002.
original plan considered Brooklyn, but the Marriott there is too small.
Possibilities in Manhattan include the Roosevelt and Penta (both recently
renovated), the Marriott Marquis, and the Crown Plaza on Broadway. The contract
will probably be signed this fall.
to look at conference insurance and/or to include clause in hotel contract re
one has yet committed to be co-chair.
Boca Raton, FL, Nov. 2001 (Hardin)
8-10; there is a link on the AWS. Hardin to attend and report.
Las Vegas, Nov. 2001 (Abrams)
7-9 hosted by Mountain West Chapter. There is a link from the chapter web site.
major issue is for CAMS to come up with a graphic identity for the Society. Jill
Patrick, Chair, has produced a development prospectus for St. Louis.
Board unanimously commended Jill Patrick, Chair, Development Committee, for her
outstanding work in creating the new conference fundraising prospectus.
to contact Jill Patrick for electronic copy of her prospectus for St. Louis.
Headquarters should have an electronic copy, and Starr should also.
to change some wording in the Strategic Plan was based on a misunderstanding;
the wording was in an outdated document no longer on the AWS.
George Wittenborn (McKenzie)
to a single award would increase the prestige; there could be honorable mentions
as well. If the author is present, a book-signing event has been suggested;
otherwise, pre-signed copies could be made available. Marketing (promotion of
the winner) needs to happen in Art Documentation and perhaps on the AWS. Should there be a separate
award for electronic publications? The Wittenborn Committee prefers not to
consider them, and feels that they are at a disadvantage in competition with
books. Books only will be considered this year, and an award for electronic
publications may be reconsidered at a later date.
McKenzie and Sheila Klos, Chair of the Wittenborn Committee, to discuss with
Headquarters handling pre-signed copies and to arrange for production of the
certificate, which must conform to the Society’s graphic identity.
International Relations (Abrams)
to advise the International Relations Committee that their proposal to increase
size from 8 to 10 members would set a precedent for other committees to exceed
their mandated size. Also to suggest that conference proposal can be made
earlier if longer lead time is required for an international speaker, and to
encourage cooperation with other groups. Other sessions might benefit from
including an international speaker.
to find out if request has been made to the Getty for the Gu Yinhai payment; it
should be submitted to Jacoby first and should be sent by Goodman or McKenzie.
Nominating (Goodman, Starr)
Nominating Committee has been unable to find two candidates for each office--no
Vice President, 1 Treasurer, 1 Canadian rep, and 2 West reps have accepted the invitation to run for office.
The same problem was faced by the Nominating Committee last year. Those
candidates who have lost in the past are often unwilling to run again. The
Society’s bylaws state that we follow Robert’s
Rules of Order for elections, but in fact, Robert’s Rules doesn’t
recommend the competitive model we have been following. Robert’s Rules suggests that the Nominating Committee be elected
or be appointed by someone other than the President. The committee’s charge is
then to find people to fill the vacant offices (i.e., a slate of one person per
office). Before the vote, the President asks for nominations from the floor.
Discussion to be continued on Monday.
The meeting adjourned at 5:02 p.m.
meeting convened at 9:02.
Deferred from Saturday. Based on last year’s experience, and also taking into consideration guidelines for the Executive Director position prepared by ARLIS/NA during the management term of OMG, Clarke presented a proposal for Executive Director services. Clarke stated that the present contract between the Society and its management firm, CAMS, does not cover the duties of the Executive Director herself. She estimates that last year the time she spent on ARLIS/NA business that was uncompensated amounted to approximately $25,000. The Board agreed to hand over to CAMS $10,000 from the Los Angeles hotel commission as partial compensation. A sentence was added to Clarke’s proposal (last paragraph): “Starting with the Los Angeles conference, to be paid in the amount of $10,000; the exact amounts of the split for 2002 will be determined following the conclusion of the St. Louis conference.” In negotiating the new contract and Executive Director agreement in 2003, they will be brought into conformity with the Society’s fiscal year.
Board unanimously approved and accepted, with amendment, the proposal to provide
Executive Director services, with the attached Executive Director job
description, as submitted by Elizabeth Clarke.
to transfer $10,000 from hotel commission to Clarke.
item: All to
send Clarke changes for Management Calendar.
to solicit feedback on Board-L about redesign of the Management Calendar.
OP BI Casebook (Abrams)
Discussion deferred. See below.
OP Approval process (Abrams)
Discussion deferred. See below.
Documentation editors (Goodman)
Discussion deferred. See below.
supplement 2001 (Roper)
Discussion deferred. See below.
2002 (Roper, Goodman)
Discussion deferred. See below.
Ad Representative (Goodman)
The contract with the Advertising Representative is supposed to be reviewed annually, but this has not been done in recent years. The original agreement was never signed. The Advertising Representative is willing to do whatever the Society thinks is best: continue all or partial responsibility for advertising, or give it up. The Board decided that CAMS should take over routine advertising duties, and Clarke should begin to integrate them into a marketing plan that offers multiple types of advertising for a substantial annual contribution. Advertisements in publications will be part of a package of benefits. The issue-to-issue approach to advertising will be replaced.
Board unanimously approved ending the relationship with the Advertising
transferring the management of advertising to Clarke Associates Management
Services (CAMS). CAMS is to be compensated on a commission basis (currently
25%), separate from the association management fee as negotiated.
Goodman to notify the Advertising Representative of
Motion #12 and to thank her for her twenty years of service.
to have Headquarters collect the outstanding funds from the Advertising
Representative, and ask for summary of invoices paid, outstanding invoices, and
copies of invoices.
to draft marketing plan and post to Board-L one month before St. Louis
conference, to be discussed at Pre-Conference meeting.
and Roper left the meeting.
OP BI Casebook (Abrams)
Editor of Occasional Papers, Paul Glassman, submitted a business plan for the
proposed publication to be edited by Jeanne Brown. Target audience is the Art
& Design School constituency.
Board unanimously approved the Occasional Paper proposal, “Bibliographic
Instruction Casebook,” OP #13, submitted by the Publications Committee and the
Editor of Occasional Papers.
to convey Board suggestion that the target audience be broadened, possibly by
changing the subtitle and/or adding a list of key resources that has broader
OP approval process (Abrams)
Art Documentation editors (Goodman)
new co-editors (Tom Jacoby and Kathy Zimon) have agreed to succeed Betsy Peck
Learned and Stephanie Sigala.
Handbook supplement 2001
The supplement is not to exceed 8 pages, including 4 pages of individual names. It is ready to mail upon receipt of new frontmatter. It will have no cover, but first page will be blue.
Handbook 2002 (Goodman)
Leadership information belongs on the web where it can be updated as frequently as necessary. Starr argued that production of the handbook should not be delayed for that reason alone. Memberships will be updated by the end of January. The 2002 Handbook should be issued prior to the conference.
11B. IFLA 2001
take place later this week. So far 170 registrations received. Board members
will attend: Goodman, Starr, Jacoby, Kolmstetter, Duncan, and Whitehill Chong.
Discussion continued from Sunday. Although a bylaws change is probably needed ultimately to deal with the problem of not being able to find two candidates to run for each office, that would be a long-term solution. There is no time to change the bylaws before the fall election. Led by Starr, the Board considered the principles set forth in Robert’s Rules: “The duty of a nominating committee is to find the best candidate for each office. The bylaws should not tie the hands of the committee to find more than one person to fill each slot.” The Board decided that the committee should be instructed to prepare a slate of one person per office to be presented to the membership by Sherman Clarke on ARLIS-L, with an invitation to nominate others. The key to solving this problem for the future is finding a way to make the Nominating Committee representative, by having it elected rather than appointed, either by the Board or by the membership at large.
Board unanimously voted to charge the Nominating Committee to follow Article XVI
of the ARLIS/NA Bylaws, which calls for the use of Robert’s
Rules of Order, to prepare a slate of candidates for election to the 2002
Executive Board, because the Nominating Committee has stated that it is unable
to meet the requirements of Article IX.2 of the Bylaws.
Goodman to inform Sherman Clarke of Board decision on nominations (Motion #14)
and to pass on the relevant pages of Robert’s
Rules. Goodman to request that S. Clarke post to ARLIS-L asking for
nominations from the floor. S. Clarke to be asked to suggest bylaws change.
to send Goodman pages from Robert’s
Rules and exact wording of
8B. Committee dissolved by the Board.
Travel Awards (Goldsmith)
presented guidelines for the proposed award for a new librarian/recent graduate
for first-time conference attendance. The Board felt that a member should be
eligible for two years, rather than one, after graduation from library school. A
second travel award has been proposed for a Visual Resources professional. The
Board decided that new travel awards should be considered in the context of the
total development package that Clarke will be working on.
to reconsider travel award proposals at the pre-conference Board meeting.
Goldsmith to advise the Travel Awards Committee to communicate their ideas about
sponsorship to Clarke.
The Visual Resources Advisory Committee has proposed establishing a workshop at Rice University, succeeding the one formerly offered at University of Texas, Austin, which would be designed in consultation with a joint task force of VRA and ARLIS/NA members. The Board expressed enthusiasm for the idea and encourages VRAC to move forward with setting up a task force with VRA.
Board unanimously voted to authorize the Visual Resources Advisory Committee to
explore the feasibility of a joint professional development workshop for the
visual resources professional, being devised by Rice University’s continuing
education department in conjunction with a joint ARLIS/NA – VRA task force.
to inform VRAC of decision on travel awards and of Board’s authorization to
explore the feasibility of establishing a Visual Resources workshop.
Board unanimously approved the amendment of ARLIS/NA policy no. C-7 in the
Policy Manual to include the following statement: Transcripts of online
Executive Board meetings shall be left online for one week, at which time the
Secretary will remove them. Downloads and/or printouts of transcripts shall be
destroyed after acceptance of the minutes of the meeting. The transcripts shall
have no place in the ARLIS/NA Archives.
to suggest better technical solution for Policy Manual and to work with Crosley
to remove it from the public ARLIS/NA web site.
Starr asked if the Policy Manual could be made easier to use. McKenzie reiterated that the Board in previous discussion with CAMS had expressed concern that the Policy Manual does not belong on the public AWS.
Action Item: Hardin to investigate technical solutions for the Policy Manual.
Goodman to ask Jonathan Franklin to remove the Policy Manual from the public web
meeting adjourned at 1:06.
February 8, 2002