28th Annual ARLIS/NA Conference
Kings Plaza Room, Hilton Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Pre-Conference Executive Board Meeting
March 16-17, 2000
Thursday, March 16, 2000
1. CALL TO ORDER (Wayne) 1:15
Present: Howard Adler, Executive Director, Louis Adrean, Midwest Regional Rep., Peter Blank, Secretary, Katharine Chibnik, Treasurer, Lorna Corbetta-Noyes, West Regional Rep., Mary Graham, Past-President, Deborah Kempe, East Regional Rep., Karen McKenzie, Vice-President/President-Elect, Cindy Percival, Membership Director, Kathryn Wayne, President. Incoming Board members: Leslie Abrams, Carole Goldsmith, Ted Goodman, Trudy Jacoby. Guests: Conference Co-Chairs Ann Abid, Ray Anne Lockard, Robin Schimmelpfennig (Conference Manager)
Absent: Marilyn Berger, Canadian Rep. (delayed in flight - see note following 4A4.)
2. ANNOUNCEMENTS (Wayne)
2A. Roberts Rules of Order
2B. Agenda Changes
2C. Introductions of Incoming Board Members
2D. Meal Arrangements
2E. 2000 Board Photo
The location for the annual portrait of the sitting Board was announced.
2F. Special Attendees
Among the special attendees at this years conference are Deborah Shorley, President, ARLIS/UK & Ireland, Sonia French, Executive Director, ARLIS/UK & Ireland, and Christine Love Rogers, Webmaster for ARLIS/UK & Ireland, Helena Dodd Ferrez, FUNARTE, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Doralisa Duarte, Museo Nacional Bellas Artes, Santiago, Chile, Jorge Orlando Melo, Biblioteca Luis Angel Arango, Santafe de Bogota, Colombia, and Anita Vriend, Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam, Netherlands.
2G. Post-Conference Board Meeting Agenda (McKenzie)
The incoming Executive Committee and the Executive Director scheduled a meeting to set the final agenda for the Post-Conference Board meeting.
2H. Files sent to Syracuse University by Retiring Board Members (Wayne)
Action Item: Outgoing Board members to send materials to Society archives as described in Policy Manual section A.3. March 31.
3. OUTSTANDING MINUTES
3A. Board Email Discussion Minutes (Blank)
Blank outlined the email voting procedure as outlined in the Policy Manual section C.19. for the incoming Board.
Action Item: Blank to add date line to signature area on Email motion consent form. Consent form mailings will have text in the subject line indicating: "Please sign and return."
The Email Discussion minutes for the past year have not been produced.
Action Item: Blank to mail Goodman necessary disks of email archives for Goodman to produce email discussion minutes for the period from the Vancouver conference to the Berkeley Midyear meeting. May 15. Goodman to produce minutes and post to Linda Zieper for Update submission deadline for issue #4. June 10.
Action Item: Blank to post Berkeley Midyear meeting to Pittsburgh Conference email discussion minutes and post to Linda Zieper for Update submission deadline for issue #4. June 10.
Action Item: All attachments sent on the Board listserve will be in Microsoft 95 software until all members have upgraded to later versions.
3B. Membership Meeting Minutes (Wayne)
Cindy Percival will take minutes for the Pittsburgh Membership Meeting. Kempe will provide back-up.
Action Item: Cindy Percival and Kempe to collaborate on production of Membership Meeting minutes. Kempe to forward to Conference Proceedings Editor, Ann Lally, and Sean Percival for posting on the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS), with cc to Blank. May 1.
4A. 2000 Pittsburgh Conference Progress Report
4A1. Program Sessions, Special Events, Tours, Workshops (Abid, Lockard)
Lockard and Abid made brief pre-conference reports of highlights, including sold-out events, publicity achieved in local print media, the number of events scheduled to take place, and further detail on the first-ever Silent Auction.
Action Item: Adrean to notify Los Angeles Conference Planning Action Committee (CPAC) of Lockard's report that Friday tours appeared to have the greatest popularity among the Conference registrants.
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette and the Beaver County Times are covering the conference. Lockard was interviewed for both articles. The Post-Gazette will follow-up with another article on the Wittenborn Awards
Lockard also indicated that the Conference Committee wanted to add more material to the Conference web site but the conference server did not have the capacity for additional files.
Abid reported that there were 59 business meetings, 3 workshops, 16 sessions (including 4 visual resources related sessions), and 7 AskARLIS sessions. An effort was made to allow time for lunches and time to visit the Exhibitors' area. The Silent Auction will take place in the Exhibitors' area.
4A2. Fundraising (Wayne)
Wayne distributed the donor list with gift amounts indicated. The conference donor total is $39,090.00 and the Chapter Welcome Party donations total is $3,750.00, for a combined total of $42,840.00. These figures do not include the in-kind donations from the Carnegie Museums for the convocation and the University of Pittsburgh for the Ancient Art Workshop. The Travel Awards are listed separately. Wayne instructed the Board to visit all the donors and to express the thanks of the Society for sponsoring the conference. Adler indicated that Wayne has far exceeded all expectations in fund raising for the conference and we will probably surpass the income expected for the conference.
Motion #63: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board formally commend the ARLIS/NA Chapters that so generously donated Chapter funds towards the success of the conference Welcome Party.
The Ohio Valley Chapter provided overall conference sponsorship of $600 toward general support, $1,000 towards the Welcome Party, and $550 towards speakers for the Frank Lloyd Wright session, for a total of $2,500.
Motion #64: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board give special recognition the Ohio Valley Chapter for its generous support and sponsorship of the Pittsburgh conference.
4A3. Attendance Figures (Schimmelpfennig)
The Headquarters meeting planner briefly reported on pre-conference registration numbers: 461 attendees and 81 exhibitor reps.
4A4. Conference Budget (Chibnik)
Chibnik commended Jane Dunwoodie for her outstanding efforts in developing the conference budget.
The Executive Director projected gross conference income of around $178,000 based on higher exhibitors fees and Wayne's very successful fundraising.
[Berger joined the meeting]
4A5. Executive Board Conference Reporting Responsibilities (McKenzie)
4A5a. Committee, Division, Section, Round Table (DSRT) assignment (McKenzie)
Assignments had been distributed previously via email.
As incoming Vice-President/President-Elect Goodman will be visiting all the DSRTs, indicating the following:
- Deadline for session proposals will be May 1st because the planning calendar has been moved forward.
- The Los Angeles Conference Planning Action Committee meets 3rd week of May. Final decisions announced by mid-June.
- All attendees are encouraged to visit the Exhibitors' area, attend the Membership Meeting, and participate in the Silent Auction.
- The deadline for Special Funding requests (DSRTs, Chapters, Task Forces, etc.) and Budget requests (Chapters) to be made to Jacoby is May 31.
Wayne went through all the required Board participation activities in the schedule of Conference events.
4A5b. Reporting Procedures (McKenzie)
McKenzie outlined Liaison responsibilities and reporting assignments.
4A5c. Strategic Planning Reporting (Wayne)
Wayne distributed Strategic Plan reporting sheets for the use of committees, DSRT's and other groups.
4A5d. Management Transition Planning Reporting (Wayne)
Any time sensitive issues pertaining to management firm transition at the Committee, Task Force, etc. level need to be reported during the Post-Conference Executive Board meeting.
4B. Future Conference Sites
4B1. 2001 Los Angeles (McKenzie)
The L.A. Conference web site is up and the conference dates are March 29 - April 4, 2001.
4B2. 2002 St. Louis (Adrean)
Adrean attended the Central Plains Chapter meeting in June. Program co-chairs are Stephanie Sigala and Debra Ultan, and Mary Cavanaugh and Dana Beth, Local Arrangements. The St. Louis CPAC planning meeting will be June 1-2, which Adrean will attend.
4B3. 2003 Ontario Chapter (Berger)
The Ottawa offer has been withdrawn due to the lack of support from the local institutions, but the Chapter is considering making a new proposal for 2004 or 2005.
Lynagh presented a formal proposal and brought material from the DC/Maryland/Virginia Chapter for the consideration of a conference in Baltimore in 2003. The Membership Meeting agenda was revised to add the formal presentation.
4B4. Potential Future Sites (Wayne)
As a result of Wayne's poll on ARLIS-L taken earlier in the year, the members have requested the following sites for future conferences: Ottawa, Atlanta, Baltimore, Boston, Indianapolis, Las Vegas, Minneapolis, New Orleans, Mexico (Monterrey), New York City, San Diego, Toronto, Tucson, Albuquerque, and others.
4B5. IFLA 2001 Conference, Boston (McKenzie)
After the Berkeley Midyear Board decision not to provide full Society support for the conference, the Boston organizing committee returned to the local chapter (New England) for support for a 2-day mini-conference to occur prior to the 2001 IFLA Conference. Society funding has been requested at the level of $4,000 to support an ARLIS/NA reception for IFLA. Registration fees will be charged but will be kept as low as possible and should not be viewed as a substantial income source.
Discussion followed regarding the challenge of finding sponsors for both the Society's Los Angeles conference and the IFLA conference and the problems of donors being approached for both conferences. The International Relations Committee and the IFLA Liaison, through the Development Committee, may provide fund raising leadership. Another possibility is for the Society to grant the $4,000 figure and then have the Society raise $4,000 to replace the monies given for IFLA support.
Local Society leaders are attempting to negotiate the associated costs down, so $4,000 total may not be needed. Although the Board supported the idea of supporting the IFLA mini-conference, it was uncertain whether the monies should be budgeted out of the 2001 Society budget, raised via a related fund raising effort, or some combination of the two.
Motion #65: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board, following the mandate of the previous two Executive Boards, support the ARLIS/NA IFLA 2001 reception with support not to exceed $4,000.00, or the cost of the reception, whichever is less.
Action Item: Jacoby, with input from Chibnik, to prepare options for funding support of Motion #65 (supporting the ARLIS/NA IFLA 2001 reception) for presentation at the Post-Conference meeting.
5A. Transition Schedule, Priorities (Adler, Wayne)
At a conference call between Adler, Wayne, McKenzie, and Brad Lund (Headquarters) the following priorities for the transition were stated:
- timely and continued production of Update, Art Documentation,
- posting the 1999 Conference Proceedings on the f,
- production and distribution of the current Occasional Papers projects,
- the Handbook will be deferred, but the entries will be updated at conference. The date of termination will be April 30. This was a business decision on the part of both Headquarters and the Society, and that despite the best efforts of both parties, the organizational cultures clearly did not match. In the interests of both parties it was decided it was best to dissolve the contract and for both organizations to move forward.
Adler presented highlights from a long Headquarters report. In particular, he highlighted the fiscal management issue of operating funds for the last quarter of the fiscal year. It is necessary to establish a regular transfer of funds out of the Society's financial reserves to meet operating expenses in the last quarter, and then to transfer them back when the income stream of Membership renewals resumes. Motion #43 (1999 Midyear Board meeting) directed the Finance Committee to establish a short term fund for emergency needs, and it responded with a plan to develop this over the long term by drawing down funds from the annual operating budget. In Adler's opinion, this would not address the fiscal management issue he highlighted.
Jacoby suggested that the Society transfer the necessary funds from our current long-term investments to a designated short-term operating deficit fund to address the issue. This would allow FY2001 income to be transferred in whole to the following year’s budget, and we could begin to rebuild the long-term funds over time. Adler concurred. (See discussion under 8A4. Finance Committee - Emergency Fund Proposal.)
5B. Management Calendar (McKenzie)
Wayne passed out the revised calendar for 2000/2001. Although the calendar has been revised through June 30, the Board, especially the Treasurer and Secretary, need to review and comment to McKenzie.
Action Item: Board to comment via Board listserve on January-June 2000 Management Calendar as distributed, with special attention to the March-June section (for eventual revision by McKenzie). March 30.
Action Item: McKenzie to distribute July-December 2000 Management Calendar to Board for comment. April 15. Board to recommend revisions. May 15
5C. Policy Manual Changes 1999/2000 Overview (Graham)
Graham has reviewed minutes from Tucson Midyear to present and created Policy Manual revisions and forwarded to Blank for review and posting to Sean Percival for adding to the AWS.
Action Item: Graham to forward the following Policy Manual revisions to Sean Percival for posting on AWS. April 1. Percival to add to AWS. April 15.
5C1. C-11 Board job descriptions
5C2. C-17 Special Appointments –Term of Office
5C3. C-28 Public Policy Committee
5C4. C-30 Standards Committee
5C5. C-40 North American Relations Committee
5C6. C-41 Research Committee
5C7. C-42 Technology Committee
5C8. J-17 Communication with Investment Advisor
5C9. L-10 Distinguished Service Award Guidelines
5C10. R-1 Editor of Handbook
5C11. R-4 Conference Proceedings
5C12. X-7 Funding Liaisons’ attendance at affiliates annual conference
5C13. Section A (Retention Schedule)
5D. Policy Manual Review—Ongoing (Wayne)
5E. Chapter Success Book (Berger, Corbetta-Noyes)
Additions were suggested regarding membership recruitment and retention, as well as a fund raising component. Berger suggested the ARLIS/MOQ Procedures Guide be included in the Chapter Success Book as an example for other Chapters to consider.
Action Item: Berger and Corbetta-Noyes to forward revised Chapter Success Book to Sean Percival. April 10. Percival to replace existing Book on AWS. April 15.
5F. ARLIS/NA Web Site Administrative Board (AWSAB) (Graham)
Ferrari has already assigned the members of AWSAB individual tasks to review the existing the AWS and send revisions to Sean Percival for updating the AWS. With the management firm transition Adler, Graham, and Blank, incoming AWSAB Liaison, will be meeting at conference with AWSAB to develop a transition strategy.
5F1. Advertising on the AWS (Graham)
The Board is interested in pursuing the possibility of advertising on the AWS. Wayne spoke to Kate Shanley about web advertising but Shanley is not interested in pursuing this area, and would like to continue to limit her activities to print advertising. The AWSAB will develop guidelines and policies for advertising on the both the AWS and on Chapter sites for presentation to the Board at the Toronto Midyear meeting, Sept. 22-23.
Action Item: Blank to report at Toronto Midyear meeting on AWSAB guidelines and policies regarding advertising in Society web space at the Society and Chapter levels. Sept. 22.
5F2. Specific types of information on the AWS (Graham)
The AWSAB, in conjunction with technical support staff from the new management firm will review the entire structure of the AWS.
5F3. Chapter Web Sites / HQ support (Kempe)
Kempe brought a question from the New York Chapter regarding the availability of server space and maintenance on the management firm services server. Corbetta-Noyes raised similar questions from Western Chapters. The addition of advertising on the Chapter sites raises the possibility that academic institutions may no longer support Chapter sites. McKenzie suggested that Chapters may have to consider financially supporting server space and maintenance on a central server.
The AWS is now as large as the American College of Radiology site, which has 30,000 members. It appears that in the foreseeable future the Chapters will be hosting and maintaining their own web sites. But this should be a point of discussion for future planning with the incoming management services firm.
5F4. Advertising Guidelines for Chapters (Kempe)
The chapters will defer to the Society on the development of policies and guidelines for advertising on Chapter web sites.
5F5. Job Advertising on the AWS (Blank)
This issue was discussed at Midyear Berkeley and no decision was reached. A discussion followed on the Board list and it was decided to continue to offer this service for free. Jobs are posted for free on ARLIS-L, but charged for in Update. Headquarters charges $100 for 50 words and a dollar a word over for one month on the their other association web sites.
Consensus developed that we could best serve the membership by charging institutions for placing adds on the AWS, provide a revenue stream for the Society budget, with the proviso that a free posting will be posted on ARLIS-L. The final figure decided on for a posting on the AWS was $100 for 100 words, with a dollar a word over, for a calendar month, with a courtesy posting on ARLIS-L
5G. Membership Meeting (Wayne)
5G1. Special Recognition (Wayne)
Wayne suggested Special Recognition for the following:
- Co-Chairs and Local Planning Committee, Pittsburgh Conference.
- Strategic Planning Co-Chairs, Jane Carlin and Katharine Martinez
- International Relations Committee, Daphne Duphresne and Marilyn Berger, for writing a successful grant to the Getty Grant Program for sponsorship of three Latin American art librarian conference attendees.
- Ohio Valley Chapter, T-shirt design, revenue fund raising
- Finance Committee, chaired by Martha Childlers.
McKenzie's incoming President comments will emphasize donations to the Society, members recruiting new members, and participation in leadership.
5H. Strategic Plan (Wayne)
Carlin and Martinez have striven to generate discussion and solicit feedback on the developing Strategic Plan. They are recommending the following: pursuing continued discussions during the Pittsburgh conference; establishing an April 15 final deadline for membership input; and submitting the final Plan to the Board for approval by May 15.
5I. MCN Affiliation (Wayne)
Wayne will announce a proposal for the Society to affiliate with the Museum Computer Network at the Membership Meeting, with a ballot mailing to follow after the conference.
5J. ARLIS/NA Laptop (Blank)
Blank suggested that the current Society laptop is in need for replacement, especially if the Secretary will be expected to continue to keep the Society minutes. Defer to Midyear.
6A. Conference Proceedings (Wayne)
Ann Lally has posted information on ARLIS-L indicating guidelines and submission deadlines. Currently there is no guideline document for the production of the Proceedings regarding who should submit reports to the Conference Proceedings Editor, although there is a job description in the Policy Manual. Lally has requested direction from the Board regarding the creation of production guidelines. She will be directed to create this list herself, and as a Special Appointment, report back to Wayne.
Action Item: Blank to notify Lally, Conference Proceedings Editor, to propose guidelines to the Board for the production of the Proceedings. Lally to report those guidelines to Wayne for presentation to the Board at Toronto Midyear. April 15.
6A1. 1999 Vancouver
The Vancouver Conference proceedings will soon be posted on the AWS.
6A2. 2000 Pittsburgh (Deadline May 1, 2000)
Ann Lally will continue to serve as Editor of the Proceedings.
6A3. Guidelines for Groups Responsible for Submitting Reports
6B. Publications Committee
6B1. Update Electronic Distribution (Blank)
Blank went over the distribution schedule for Update issues #1-4. Issue #1 has been mailed and will be waiting for the members when they return from the conference. This issue will contain a brief apology for the delay in publication and delivery written by Blank. Issue #2 will contain an announcement indicating that it will be the last issue to be received in print by the entirety of the membership, and that issue #3 will be distributed electronically via the AWS to all those individual members who so indicated this delivery preference on their 2000 membership renewal forms. Otherwise individual members and all institutional members will continue to receive Update in print. This will reduce the print run from a little over 1200 to less than 600. $17,000 was budgeted in 1999 for the production (print only), and $10,000 was budgeted in 2000, based on the assumption that Update would be delivered electronically.
Headquarters will finish issue #3. Issue #4 will be created and distributed by the new management firm. Blank will announce this schedule at the Membership Meeting.
A question was raised as to whether to provide the full content of Update on the web, the table of contents, or some other lesser iteration of the full contents. It was suggested that a URL to a protected site could be emailed to all members when the issue was available on the AWS, thus making Update available only to members. The Board was split as to how to proceed, and asked Blank to solicit input from Linda Zieper, Update Editor, and the Publications Committee.
Action Item: Blank to solicit comments from Linda Zieper, Update Editor, and the Publications Committee regarding how much of Update should be provided on the AWS for free and in what format an electronic version of Update should appear.
[Meeting was adjourned Thursday evening]
[Meeting was called back to order Friday morning.]
6B2. Retention Guidelines for Society Publications (Blank)
Guidelines will be needed prior to the transition to the new management services firm for retention and disposal of publications. Headquarters can produce a quick summary current requirements for retention based on current ordering. There are 50 - 60 boxes of publications remaining.
Percival reported that there were 100 claims outstanding when Headquarters took over that have been met. There are 50 pending claims for publications no longer in print or for Art Documentation numbers that were not printed due to subscription agencies not tracking Art Documentation’s move from quarterly to biannual issues.
Action Item. Blank to request Publications Committee to create guidelines for the retention and disposal of Society publications. At Committee meeting.
6B3. Wilson Online Contract (Blank)
Both the Board and the Publications Committee would like to accept and sign a contract with H.W. Wilson to allow Art Documentation to be reproduced in full-text in Library Literature and Information Science Full-Text. Adler confirmed the contract covered only "non-exclusive" rights."
Motion #66: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board accept the Publications Committee's proposal to enter into a contract with H.W. Wilson for the inclusion of Art Documentation into Wilson's Library Literature and Information Science Full-Text.
6B4. Art Documentation Submission Guidelines (Blank)
Deferred to Post-Conference. Abrams
6B5. Web technologies and the future (Blank)
Deferred to Post-Conference. Abrams.
6C. Electronic Archives Task Force (EATF) (Graham)
The EATF issues will be taken to the AWSAB. The EATF has been dissolved.
Action Item: Graham will notify the AWSAB of any necessary EATF issues and Graham will notify the EATF members that the Task Force has been dissolved. April 30.
7A. 2000 Renewals (Adler)
Adler reported that membership renewals for 2000, to date stand at 75%. Discussion ensued about renewal policies, cut-off dates and the generation of non-renewal lists.
Action Item: Chibnik to contact McKenzie with date(s) relating to the 90 day membership renewal period for insertion into the Management Calendar.
7A1. Renewal Cut-Off Date (New Policy) (Adler)
Adler suggested a policy is needed on the membership cut-off date. He was reminded that a policy exists already in Bylaw Article 2.4.
7A2. Membership Database Update (Adler)
A printout of the membership database was printed out and brought to conference and is at Registration Desk.
7A3. Membership Recruitment (Wayne)
The membership numbers, based on the current non-renewal rate, appear to be dropping. With 1764 subscribers to ARLIS-L, 1403 from US and 118 from Canada, Wayne suggested using the ARLIS-L as a membership recruitment vehicle to reach listserve subscribers who are not members of the Society.
Action Item: Blank to ask Membership Committee to consider means to reach the ARLIS-L subscriber base as part of a membership drive, including making a periodic membership drive on ARLIS-L. At Committee meeting.
The possibility of combining the Visual Resources Association and ARLIS/NA as a single society was raised.
Action Item: Jacoby, McKenzie, Wayne to discuss history of relationship between VRA and ARLIS/NA with Ann Whiteside, VRA President. When appropriate.
7B1. Board Participation as Chapter Officers (Wayne)
There is the possibility of a conflict of interest, as well as a time investment issue, for allowing Chapter Officers to also serve as Executive Board officers, especially since the Board is involved with funding issues that relate to all the Chapters. At this time there is no indication in the Bylaws or the Policy Manual suggesting that an individual can not serve both at both the Chapter and the Executive Board level.
There was considerable discussion pro and con. In the interest of having clear guidelines, and with the realization of the time commitment required of Board service, it was finally agreed that Executive Board officers should not also be allowed to hold Chapter Executive Committee positions.
Motion #67: Approved that Policy Manual section C-3, "Regulations Governing Candidates for National Office" be revised to include a statement indicating that if elected to an ARLIS/NA Executive Board position one would be obligated to resign from any ARLIS/NA Chapter Executive Committee positions (Chair, Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, Past Chair), with one abstention.
Action Item: Blank to revise Policy Manual C-3 in accordance with Motion #67. May 30.
Action Item: McKenzie to inform Nominating Committee of Motion #67. April 15.
7B2. Ohio Valley Chapter Officer Dues (Adrean)
The Ohio Valley Chapter is considering offering to pay Chapter dues for those who serve as Chapter officers. Wayne reported that ARLIS/Northern California Chapter has paid ARLIS/NA dues in the past for one officer. Adrean brought the issue to the Board for discussion, and it was decided that this is a local Chapter issue.
7B3. Midwest Chapters membership/participation (Adrean)
7B3a. Michigan Chapter
The Michigan Chapter is such a small Chapter that there is concern that it is not viable to continue as a separate Chapter. This is also an issue for Twin Cities. Graham commented on the success of the Mountain States Chapter in combining previously existing smaller chapters that were facing similar difficulties.
Action Item: Adrean will initiate discussions with the Twin Cities and the Michigan Chapters regarding the possibility of merging with Mid-States Chapter, following the model of the Mountain West Chapter. April 30.
7B4. New England Chapter membership survey (Kempe)
The New England Chapter engaged in two successful membership surveys. The first related to establishing local support and interest for the IFLA 2001 Pre-Conference meeting. The second, mailed with the renewal notice for 2000, focused on various aspects of Chapter meetings and services and will be published in their newsletter. Kempe was impressed by the survey effort and recommended it as a possibility for other Chapters to consider.
Action Item: Kempe to provide copies of the New England Chapter's membership services survey to Berger and Corbetta-Noyes for inclusion in the Chapter Success Book. April 5.
7B5. Texas-Mexico Chapter issues (Lynagh)
7B5a. Recruitment of new members in Mexico
With the recent inclusion of Mexico in the Texas-Mexico Chapter the Chapter is interested in developing membership in Mexico and looked to the Board for guidance in this area.
Action Item: Goodman to pass on names of the Howard and Beverly Karno Award applicants to Lynagh for use as recruitment tool for building membership in Mexico. May 30.
7B5b. Travel funding sources
Similarly, the Chapter is interested in developing some sources for funding travel to the annual Society conference. Wayne encouraged the formation of a Chapter travel award committee.
Action Item: Lynagh to inform the Texas-Mexico Chapter of how other Chapters provide Chapter travel awards. April 30.
7B6. Other Chapter Issues for the Board
New York Chapter Bylaws revisions to be voted on via email post -conference.
7C. Committee Status Reports
7C1. International Relations Committee
7C1a. Getty Grant Program (Berger)
The Getty Grant Program provided $9,300.00 to bring in the three Latin American librarians. Beverly Karno assisted in assisting to identify possible candidates. A reception will be held in Wayne's suite to welcome the award winners.
7C2. Membership Committee (Blank)
7C2a. Membership Committee Application and Renewal Form (Blank)
Blank and Wayne distributed the current revision of Application form. The original intent of the Special Skills and Membership section was to try to match up the information/training needs of the membership with more experienced members of the Society. This information has never been entered into the membership database, takes up considerable space on the form, and there are other venues that are far more efficient to achieve the same ends, notably ARLIS-L. Both Blank and Katharine Poole, Membership Committee Chair, recommend removing this section.
Similarly, survey-type information should not be gathered on the membership form, but via a separate sheet, and only if it is absolutely necessary that the Society engage in the survey process. If a survey is indeed necessary, headquarters needs to be clearly advised as to how to tabulate the results and who to report the results to. At this time the Board must approve all surveys.
There were a number of other revisions suggested, including removing the field coding, and suggestions to compress the language whenever possible.
Action Item: Blank to advise Poole, Membership Committee Chair, that the revised membership form must be submitted to the Board by June 1 for approval. This information will be forwarded to the new management firm to develop a new membership application and renewal form in coordination with the Committee, for mailing by Nov. 1. At Committee meeting.
The current renewal form did not contain information regarding DSRT membership. A number of approaches to gathering this information for the Handbook were considered, including bundling a profile sheet with the Bylaws amendment mailing or sending a separate mailing. Considering the time frame and cost involved it was decided that this information will not be included in the 2000/2001 Membership Handbook.
Action Item: Wayne will include an information sheet for inclusion in the 2000/2001 Membership Handbook indicating why the Divisions, Sections, Round Tables section was deleted from the Handbook for that year.
Action Item: Goldsmith to write brief article for Update on decision indicating why the Divisions, Sections, Round Tables section was deleted from the Handbook for 2000/2001. Update #3 deadline, April 10.
The current membership database printout will be set up at the Registration Desk and announcements will be made asking members to check their information and make any corrections. Headquarters will update the membership database based on the three renewal mailings and the information gathered at the Registration Desk.
7C2b. Non-Renewal Procedure (Adler)
As previously indicated, two non-renewal notices have been mailed and the third will be sent out after conference.
7C2c. Membership Recruitment Task Force Report (Blank)
There is no indication that this Strategic Planning item was ever acted upon.
Action Item: Blank to inform Committee that Membership Recruitment Task Force Report no longer required. At Committee Meeting.
7C3. Public Policy
7C3a. Establishing Communication Channels to the Membership (Lynagh)
Concern was expressed regarding the complexity of legislative and public policy issues and the ability of the membership to maintain currency and understanding of these issues. Roger Lawson, Chair, is seeking some means to generate grass roots membership response on these issues, and has regularly been posting messages to ARLIS-L. The Committee is considering an approach which will utilize the AWS to more fully break down these issues and related discussions.
Action Item: Lynagh to suggest that the creation of some means to develop Society grass roots response to public policy issues becomes an Action Item for the new Strategic Plan.
7C4. Standards (Adrean)
Deferred to post-conference.
7C5. North American Relations Committee
7C5a. Affiliated Table for Exhibits (Lynagh)
The Committee would like to have a table in the Exhibitors area for literature from all the affiliate organizations. They need to make a request to CPAC in the future for the provision on one table for all such literature.
7C5b. Committee Charge (Lynagh)
The Committee questions whether they should continue as a separate group or form a new committee combining with the International Relations Committee. The liaisons could all be made Special Appointments. Many of the Society Liaisons to affiliate organizations are not "official" liaisons. Lynagh will ask the Committee to recommend what they feel appropriate action would be. Graham suggested the creation of an External Affairs Committee. At this point in time the North American Relations Committee does not liaise to any Canadian associations. Abrams will also take this issue to the International Relations Committee.
7C6. Diversity (Adrean)
There were no additional issues beyond the request for a language survey. Adrean will report back regarding the revised membership application form.
7C7. Development Committee (Chibnik)
The Policy Manual (Section J-7) states that the Committee will embark on a new fund raising drive every five years. It has been eight years since the initiation of the 25th Anniversary Fund. There are a number of current possibilities, including the Boston IFLA Pre-Conference meeting. The Visual Resources Advisory Committee is interested in creating a travel fund for a VRA professional to attend an ARLIS/NA local, regional, or annual meeting. Matching funds maybe necessary for the proposed special architecture speaker session. Also, the perennial call for funds to support speakers at the annual conference could be addressed via fund raising. Prioritizing these possibilities will be deferred until post-conference after input from the Committee.
Chibnik indicated that a need exists for a designated development officer for the Society. Adler suggested that the incoming President might serve as this officer. Another possibility was having the Treasurer and the incoming President serve as dual Liaisons for Development, and possibly Finance. Goodman noted that the Past President would, however, be the most experienced fund raiser on the Board, fully versed in all aspects of the Society and conference planning. Graham concurred.
Another priority is to create a donor list which contains financial and historical data regarding individual and corporate donor history. This would be an invaluable guide for future fund raising efforts.
Action item: Chibnik and Jacoby will take these discussions to Development and solicit their input regarding new funding initiatives, prioritizing these fund raising initiatives, and the creation of a designated development officer.
7C8. Technology Committee
7C8a. ARLIS Technology WebRing (Corbetta-Noyes)
Deferred until post-conference.
7C9. Other Committee issues for the Board
Graham reported that Tom Greives and the Professional Development Committee have the Internship award guidelines posted and that an award and institution will be selected for the coming year.
7C10. Divisions Sections & Round Tables (DSRTs) Highlights (McKenzie)
McKenzie reported that the effort to jump start the moderator election procedure has paid off by generating more interest and candidates for DSRT elections. Future success will depend on continuing this pro-active approach of approaching the serving Moderators and the DSRTs prior to conference and generating input on the election process.
McKenzie also requested that Board members keep an eye out for Round Tables where interest appears to be dwindling.
8A. Finance Committee
8A1. Policy Manual Section J (Chibnik)
Policy Manual Section J contains 13 items, several of which require numerous revision. J5 and J12 must be revised this year. J8, regarding a grant writing manual, will require an Action Item to be created if Development so chooses.
8A2. Communications with the Investment Advisor document (Chibnik)
The Communications document was approved at the Berkeley Midyear meeting.
8A3. C-21, C-22 proposed guidelines (Chibnik)
Deferred. These guidelines for communication between Development and Finance were being drafted by the Development Committee but were not distributed to the Board.
Action item: Jacoby will revisit the proposed Policy Manual guidelines for C-22 and C-23 and bring them up for later email discussion.
8A4. Emergency Fund Proposal (Chibnik)
(See discussion under 5A. Management - Transition Schedule, Priorities).
8B. Finance Committee Activity Calendar (Chibnik)
Jacoby will discuss need for an activity calendar at post-conference.
8C. Business Dues--Bylaws Change (Chibnik)
Although a previous Board decision had been made to increase Basic Business Affiliate dues to $135.00, a Bylaws amendment is required to institute the increase. This amendment will be included with an amendment to affiliate with the Museum Computer Network, announced at the membership meeting, with ballots mailed after the conference for voting.
Action Item: Bylaws amendments for increasing business dues and affiliating with the Museum Computers Network (MCN) to be posted to the membership by April 15. Wayne to send MCN text to McKenzie. McKenzie to produce cover letter. Ballots will be returned to Blank for counting.
9A. Research Committee
9A1. Benjamins Award (Blank)
Due to a low level of interest in the John Benjamins Award, which was devoted to research in the art serial literature, Benjamins has discontinued support for the award. This conference he supported the exhibits opening breakfast. Wayne has suggested the possibility of Benjamins moving his Society support towards plenary speaker funding and will be meeting with him at Conference.
Action Item: Wayne to continue negotiations with John Benjamins regarding Benjamins support for the Society. Blank to inform Research Committee that the Benjamins Award will definitely not be funded. At Committee meeting.
9A2. Worldwide Award (Blank)
Confusion regarding the delivery of the Worldwide check for support of the award was resolved.
9B. Travel Awards Committee
9B1. G.K. Hall Award (Kempe)
The award was rescinded due to changing corporate priorities. Kempe recognized Goodman's efforts in arranging for the Getty Trust Publications to step in and offer the Getty Trust Publications Avery Index Attendance Award for one year so an attendance award could be presented for the Pittsburgh conference.
9B2. Online Application (Kempe)
Kempe reported that the perl script for the online application still included the former Chair’s email address (Jane Devine). There were 46 applications overall for all travel awards, half of which were made via the AWS. Perl scripts for any online applications must be re-written every year so that the applications go to the current Chair of the appropriate committee. This should perhaps be written into the management calendar along with the updating on the AWS of the application form.
It was suggested that a "shopping list" be created by the Development Committee with input from various committees, such as Travel, indicating funding needs which could then be matched against possible donors. It appears that the structure for fund raising needs to be clarified as well as the role of the Development Committee, which to this point in time has served as a monitoring, tracking, and a facilitating group. With the considerable emphasis that fund raising is taking for the Society, and with the number of individuals engaged in this activity in one regard or another, it is imperative that development and fund raising activities become even more coordinated.
Action Item: Jacoby to raise the issue of the need for clear guidelines and directives for the Development Committee and report back at Post-conference. Wayne to write White Paper on coordinating development and fund raising.
9C. George Wittenborn Awards Committee
9C1. Electronic Format/Multimedia Award (Berger)
This award was developed by the Wittenborn Committee at the behest of the Board, and their proposal was passed by the Board via email motion. The guidelines were developed too late for implementation for the 2000 Pittsburgh conference, but it will be advertised for 2001.
9C2. Calls for Submissions (Berger)
9C2a. Clarification of language
There were a number of ineligible submissions for the award. The incoming Committee will clarify the language of the application form.
9C2b. Spanish translation
The Committee wishes to solicit more Mexican and Latin American titles and is suggesting that the application be available in Spanish besides English and French. A volunteer will be solicited to translate the application form.
9C3. Small Presses (Berger)
Small presses often can not afford to submit review copies. Nor are they often aware of the Award and the call for submissions. If the publishers are required to submit titles for applications, additional steps must be taken to encourage small press publishers to participate in the award. One suggestion was that small press titles submitted for consideration could be returned to the publishers.
9D. Awards Committee (Graham)
9D1. Current Awards Guidelines for Chair (Graham)
Committee Chair, Lyn Korenic was concerned with some issues of continuity. One member of the Committee should serve two years to provide continuity.
9D2. Distinguished Service Award (DSA) Funding Level (Graham)
The Committee is asking the Board to provide donor support for the provision of full funding for conference attendance, including hotel and expenses, to the award winner. Currently the winner receives air fare, and as of this year, two nights hotel expenses. The Board agreed to maintain support at the current level.
9D3. Name Change (McKenzie)
Since the sole purpose of the Awards Committee is to supervise the awarding of the Distinguished Service Award, the Committee will be directed to review their name with the intent to change the name to the Distinguished Service Award Committee.
10. TASK FORCES AND SPECIAL APPOINTMENTS
10A. Special Committee for the Architecture Lecture Series (McKenzie)
The Committee has produced a draft proposal which was forwarded to McKenzie. She has reviewed the draft and it looks good to this point.
10B. Statistics Task Force (Blank)
Since progress to date has been minimal with this group, and since we are developing a new Strategic Plan, it was suggested that this group be dissolved with their approval. There are a number of statistics available now from the Special Libraries Association and the American Library Association. The Task Force has, however, produced a draft survey and is meeting at the Conference.
Action Item: Blank to discuss with Statistics Task Force the necessity of continuing with their charge and raise the issue of dissolving the Task Force. At Task Force meeting.
10C. AASL/ARLIS/NA Task Force on NAAB Standards (Wayne)
The task force is making progress towards the production of a final draft.
10D. ARLIS-L Moderator (Wayne)
Mary Molinaro, Moderator, submitted a report which included significant information regarding the composition of the ARLIS-L subscriber list.
11. EXTERNAL/PUBLIC RELATIONS
11A. Leadership Gifts (Wayne)
Wayne has selected gifts for the six conference planners, and suggested presenting something to those who will be honored with Special Recognition at the Membership Meeting.
11B. Society Pins (Wayne)
Wayne suggested that the Society develop a token gift of some sort that can be given to Society members in recognition of special effort and service to the Society. She suggested the creation of a pin for this purpose and will present some possibilities at Midyear.
12. NEW BUSINESS
Wayne presented gifts to the outgoing Board members as well as McKenzie. Wayne was also presented a gift by the Board as an expression of appreciation in her efforts as President during the past year.
Motion #68: Unanimously approved adjourning the 2000 Pittsburgh Pre-Conference Executive Board Meeting.
Meeting adjourned 4:45 p.m.
Peter Blank, Secretary