ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
Executive Board Meeting
O'Neill Room, Faculty Club, Berkeley,
October 1-2, 1999
Action Items - Listed in Agenda Order
Action: Blank will
distribute 1999 Vancouver conference Executive Session minutes in Executive
Session email for approval and final disposition by Nov. 1. 1.B.2.
Blank to send summary of Executive Board email activity from 1999 Vancouver
conference to 1999 Mid-Year meeting by Nov. 15 to ARLIS/NA Update. ADI will
monitor Executive Board email activity and post summaries to Update quarterly.
ADI summaries should be sent to Executive Board email list for approval. Blank
to continue to post email motion activity (quarterly) to Update.
Action: Graham to report back to GLIRT regarding Board discussion.
Oct. 15. 3.A.1
Action: Graham and Blank to update Policy Manual (PM). Dec. 1.
Action: Update Special Appointments section of PM where necessary to
indicate "Receives honoraria." Graham and Blank. 3.B.
Action: Chibnik to
notify Kim Collins by Oct. 15 of Board approval. 3.C.1.
Action: Chibnik to
notify the Art Documentation editors that their request for special funding was
denied. Oct. 15. 3.C.2.
Action: Chibnik will contact Jane Dunwoodie/Sara Jane
Pearman for figures in order to create in-kind donations addendum to Pittsburgh
conference budget. An ongoing list will be created. Nov. 1. 3.D.
will produce receipts for all Mid-Year meeting lunch costs to be distributed to
Executive Board. Oct. 10. 3.E.
Action: Delete line 37 (research - HW Wilson),
shift to balance sheet. 3.E.
Action: ADI will investigate the possibility of
securing pro bono accounting for ARLIS/NA from a reliable firm. March 1, 2000.
Action: ADI will post RFPs to accounting firms. Oct. 30. 3.E.
ADI will send ARLIS/NA stationery to Lynagh. 3.E.
Action: Chibnik will expand
the comments section of the proposed 2000 budget in order to provide both ADI
and the incoming Treasurer with necessary budget context. 3.E.
Chibnik will reformulate proposed budget for 2000 and submit to the President,
Vice President, and Secretary by Nov. 1 for approval. This group will respond in
a timely fashion in order for Chibnik to incorporate any necessary changes and
forward to the full Executive Board by Nov. 15. The budget will be approved via
email motion by Nov. 30. 3.E.
Action: Graham to contact AWS Administrative
Board by Oct. 15 with the charge to produce guidelines for the placement of
corporate and individual advertising on the AWS. The guidelines should be
produced by Dec. 1. 4.B.
Action: Wayne to initiate discussion on Executive
Board discussion list regarding charging for job listings on Society
communication venues. Proposed implementation would be Jan. 1, 2000. Discussion
to commence as soon as email traffic permits. 4.B.
Action: Graham and Blank
to update Policy Manual to reflect adoption of revised Refund Policy. Dec. 1.
Action: ADI to contact Robin Schimmelpfennig to update Refund Policy in
Pittsburgh conference program. Oct. 5. 4.E.
Action: Chibnik will add budget
line for incoming Treasurer to visit Society Headquarters (biennial expense
estimated at $750). Oct. 15. 4.F.
Action: ADI to forward latest summary of
membership statistics regarding number of members, non-renewals, etc., to
Katherine Poole, Membership Committee Chair. Nov. 1. 5.A.
Action: Blank will
inform Katy Poole, Membership Committee Chair, of the new ADI membership renewal
process, and the intent to move towards web-based application, renewal, and
directory updates procedures. Nov. 1. 5.F.1.
Action: ADI will produce a
non-renewal list sorted by chapter affiliation and submit these lists to the
appropriate Board Representative for vetting. Nov. 1. Representatives will vet
lists and return to ADI for non-renewal mailings. Representatives will contact
chapters as necessary to confirm membership information. Nov. 15.
Action: ADI to contact Wilshire Grand Hotel and forward hotel contract
for 2001 Los Angeles conference to Wayne. Nov. 1. 6.B.1.
Action: Adrean to
inform the Central Plains Chapter that the Executive Board has accepted the
invitation to host the 2002 conference in St. Louis, Missouri. Oct. 11.
Action: Wayne to contact Ann Whiteside, VRA, to affirm ARLIS/NA's
interest in planning a joint VRA/ARLIS/NA conference in St. Louis, 2001.
Action: Wayne to post message to ARLIS-L soliciting suggestions from
the membership for future annual conference sites. Nov. 15. 6.D.
Graham and Blank to revise the Policy Manual as required by Motion #40. Dec. 1.
Action: Mary Graham, AWS Administrative Board liaison, to refer to AWS
the outstanding request from the Space Planners Round Table to mount and
maintain on AWS its list of new art library facilities, renovated facilities,
and Society members who are prepared to act as space planning consultants. Nov.
Action: Graham or ADI to forward copy of current advertising
contract with Kate Shanley to Wayne. Nov. 1. 9.A.
Action: Wayne to
communicate with Jeff Messecar, the AWS Administrative Board, and Joan Stahl to
make Art Documentation book review section more visible on the AWS. Nov. 1.
Action: Graham to contact AWS Administrative Board with report of
Executive Board discussion. Nov. 15. 9.C.
Action: McKenzie to make Special
Appointment, Roberto Ferrari as Chair of the AWS Administrative Board. Dec. 10.
Action: Blank to report to Paul Glassman, new Occasional Papers Editor,
and Linda McRae, Publications Committee Chair, that a report from Glassman to
the Society President indicating progress in the preparation of manuscripts for
publication in the Occasional Papers series will be necessary before the
Editor's honorarium will be approved. Nov. 15. 9.E.
Action: ADI to provide
Occasional Papers editor, Paul Glassman, with copies of all the existing
Occasional Papers. ASAP. 10.A.1.
Action: ADI, in conjunction with McKenzie,
will develop an appropriate Society record retention policy and schedule. ADI
will develop an inventory of existing administrative records, which will be
mailed to McKenzie for the development of retention schedules.
Action: Blank to communicate with Linda McRae, Chair, Publications
Committee that the Committee is to produce an out-of-print policy for Society
publications. The policy will form part of the Society's records retention
Action: McKenzie to communicate with Hugh Wilburn, Chair,
2001 Task Force, regarding support issues related to the proposed
ARLIS/NA satellite conference to be held prior to the 2001 Boston IFLA
conference. The Board recommends that the New England chapter sponsor it as a
chapter or regional conference, making it eligible for Chapter special funding.
All fundraising must be coordinated with Betsy Lantz, Development Committee
chair. There will be no conference support from ADI. The satellite conference
chairs are strongly encouraged to communicate with the 2001 Los Angeles annual
conference Program Co-Chairs (Nancy Norris, Amy Ciccone). Special funding
requests must be made to the Society Treasurer by the required deadline. Oct.
Action: Chibnik to inform the Martha Childers, Finance Committee
Chair, that Society funds should be moved to the Financial Advisor no later than
Oct. 12. 11.B.1.
Action: Chibnik to inform Martha Childers, Finance Committee
Chair, to instruct the Financial Advisor that a minimum of 90 days operating
expenses be available in no risk, competitive rate, secured instruments.
Action: Graham to inform the Tom Greives, Professional Development
Committee Chair, to move forward with the awarding of the Committee Internship
award in 2000, as prescribed by Motion #44. Nov. 1. 11.C.1.
to deposit Dictionary of Art auction money into the 25th Anniversary Scholarship
Fund. Nov. 1. 11.C.1.
Action: Chibnik to contact Development Committee Chair,
Martha Childers, to instruct the Financial Advisor that the 25th Anniversary
Scholarship Funds are to be invested in instruments that will generate necessary
funds for an Internship in 2001. Oct. 25. 11.C.1.
Action: Chibnik to inform
Development Committee Chair, Betsy Lantz, that if the 25th Anniversary fund will
not generate the necessary income to fund a 2001 Professional Development
Committee Internship award, the Committee will be charged with raising the
additional funds. 11.C.1.
Action: Chibnik to contact Development Committee
Chair, Betsy Lantz, to coordinate writing goals for 25th Anniversary fund effort
with ADI Financial Officer Brad Lund for both the 2000 Pittsburgh conference
Silent Auction and a possible future mailing solicitation. 11.D.
Graham to take Executive Board approval to foreground fund raising efforts on
AWS to AWS Administrative Board. Chibnik to notify Development Committee Chair,
Betsy Lantz. Nov. 1. 11.D.
Action: Kempe to inform Travel Committee Chair,
Ted Goodman, to work vigorously with Development Committee to find new funding
for G.K. Hall Travel Award if G.K. Hall is unable to recommit to support for
Action: McKenzie to write a charge for the Special Committee
for the Architecture Lecture Series. Wayne to make a Special Appointment for the
post of Chair of the Special Committee. Oct. 30. 11.F.1.
Action: Berger to
request completion of final guidelines for new Wittenborn electronic/multimedia
award from Wittenborn Committee Chair, Jim Carmin (Oct. 15) with a subsequent
motion of approval to be conducted by e-mail. 11.H.
Action: Lynagh to direct
North American Relations committee, Anita Carrico Chair, to establish which
liaisons are necessary and which might be terminated. Nov. 1. 11.I.
Blank to contact Kathleen Rose at ADI for publication estimates of the
Guidelines for the Visual Resources. 11.J.1.
Action: ADI to send Blank and
Linda McRae, Publications Committee Chair, copy of their standard copyright
release form. Blank to send Adler Wilson contract for review. 11.J.2.
Blank to contact Publications Committee Chair, Linda McRae, to review all
Society publications, and establish which should be sold at reduced rates, which
are out of print, and suggest design for Society publications sale on AWS. McRae
to coordinate with AWS Administrative Board and notify Cindy Percival, ADI. Nov.
Action: Chibnik to notify Art Documentation editors that their
request to fund Art Documentation cumulative index was denied. Nov. 1.
Action: Starting in FY 2000 Update will be provided via appropriate
electronic delivery. ADI will add check-off boxes indicating these distribution
options and the financial reasons why the Society is moving in this direction to
the 2000 membership renewal applications. Oct. 11. 12.B.
Action: Adler to
participate in 2000 Pittsburgh conference AskARLIS session on 2000-2002
strategic plan. Wayne to examine conference schedule and see what else is
slotted for that time period. 14.A.
Submitted by Peter