ARLIS/NA Ontario Chapter
Article I. Name.
The names of this organization shall be ARLIS Ontario, hereafter referred to
as the Chapter.
Article II. Purpose.
The purpose of the Chapter shall be to support and promote the purposes of
ARLIS/NA and to facilitate communication and cooperation among librarians and
others in Ontario who share a mutual interest in the arts, including but not
limited to art, architecture, media, photography, and design libraries, archives
and visual resources collections.
Article III. Membership.
- Eligibility. Membership is open to all members of ASLIS/NA.
- Dues shall be proposed by the Executive Committee and shall be ratified
by a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote.
- Dues shall be paid to the Secretary/Treasurer.
- The chapter shall have the right to propose additional fees for
specified projects subject to the approval of the membership.
- Only members of the Chapter may vote, hold elective office, serve on
committees, and participate in all Chapter activities.
- All members shall be entitled to receive announcements of Chapter
meetings and minutes and other notices of general interest to the
Article IV. Officers.
- The membership may determine the Officers and their duties. The elected
officers of the Chapter shall be the Chair, the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect, and
- Qualifications for office.
Any member may hold office and must file in writing an acceptance of the
nomination with the nominating committee.
- Terms of office
The term of office of the Chair and the Vice-Chair/Chair-Elect shall be for
one (1) calendar year. The terms of the office of the Secretary/Treasurer
shall be two (2) calendar years.
- Duties of officers
- The Chair shall be the chief executive officer of the Chapter and its
representative on official business.
- The Chair shall be a member ex-officio of all special project committees
of the Chapter.
- The Chair shall prepare the annual report for ARLIS/NA and other reports
- The Chair shall submit the Executive Committee’s recommendations for
special projects for the approval of the membership.
- Vice-Chair (Chair-Elect)
- The Vice-Chair shall perform the duties of the Chair in case of the
Chair’s inability to serve.
- The Vice-Chair shall be the Program Chair.
- The Vice-Chair may be assigned other duties by the Chair of the
The Secretary-Treasurer shall keep the Minutes of the Chapter meetings,
maintain financial records and perform any other duties required in the office.
Article V. Nominations and Elections.
- Nominating Committee and process
- The Chair shall appoint a Nominating Committee of three (3) members. The
committee shall present a slate of qualified candidates at least four (4)
weeks prior to the annual Chapter business meeting.
- Additional nominations may be made at the business meeting by the
membership providing the qualified candidate is in attendance.
- No member my serve consecutive terms on the Nominating Committee.
Current Executive Committee members are not eligible to serve.
Officers shall be elected by a majority of votes cast by members eligible to
vote. The Nominating Committee will be responsible for running the election,
tabulating the results, and informing the members.
Article VI. Executive Committee.
- The elected officers and the immediate past Chair of the Chapter shall
constitute the Executive Committee.
- Meetings of the Executive Committee may be called by the Chair or by
written petition of no less than three (3) members of the Chapter. At
Executive Committee meetings only members of the Committee shall have voting
- The Executive Committee shall act for the Chapter in the intervals
- The Executive Committee may propose special projects to be approved by
- The Executive Committee shall prepare an annual dues schedule for
approval by member vote.
- The Executive Committee shall fill any vacancies which may
Article VII. Meetings.
- Meetings of the Chapter shall be called by the Chair.
- There shall be at least two (2) meetings each year.
- The annual business meeting shall be the meeting preceding the ARLIS/NA
Conference. The business/dues/report year shall be the calendar year,
January 1 - December 31.
- Announcement of meetings, prepared by the Chair in consultation with the
Vice-Chair shall be sent to the members by the Secretary-Treasurer by mail
at least four (4) weeks prior to the meeting.
- Members may invite guests to meetings and encourage them to become
Article VIII. Reports.
- Annual reports of the Chapter shall be prepared by the Chair after receipt
of written reports by the Vice-Chair and the Secretary-Treasurer. The report
shall follow the guidelines set up by the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA.
- The Chair is responsible for writing reports of Chapter meetings and
sending them to the Editor of ARLIS/NA Update.
Article IX. Special Committees
- Special committees or projects may be proposed by the Chair, Executive
Committee, or no less than five (5) members of the Chapter by petition in
- Special committees or projects shall be approved by a majority of votes
cast by members eligible to vote.
- Each committee shall have a chair appointed by the Chair of the
Affiliation with other organizations in Ontario shall be at the discretion of
the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA and shall be in accordance with their
Article XI. Amendments.
- Amendments to the by-laws may be submitted to the Executive Committee in
writing by voting members.
- The proposed amendment shall be distributed to the voting membership at
least four (4) weeks prior to a business meeting.
- Approval through a majority of votes cast by members eligible to vote and
the approval of the Executive Board of ARLIS/NA shall be necessary to amend
- The by-laws shall be reviewed at least every five (5) years or more
frequently at the discretion of the Executive Committee.
Article XII. Dissolution of the Chapter.
The dissolution of the Chapter shall follow the guidelines of
Created April 10, 1997