Annual Report (2004)
Janine Henri, Chair
Leadership: Janine Henri will
continue as Chair for 2005.
Executive Board Liaison: Peggy
Committee Members: Margaret
Boylan, Adeane Bregman, Sue Koskinen, Susan Moon, Deborah Perotti, Marilyn
members discussed last year’s outreach to non-renewals, including the draft for
a letter and survey of non-renewals. In May the committee reviewed a list of
2004 non-renewals supplied by Headquarters but decided not to send out the
survey during the summer months (as originally planned) since the 2005
membership renewal letters were to be sent in early fall and since it was too
soon after Headquarters had done their e-mail survey of non-renewals. It was decided to wait until several
months into 2005 to pursue the idea.
The only useful information gleaned from the small amount of non-renewal
surveys returned was that some members did not receive renewal information due
to address changes. We suggested
that more e-mail reminders be sent out at renewal time, and that members be
asked to verify their directory addresses before renewal letters go out. In February, the committee drafted a
memo for Headquarters to send out as an e-mail blast to 2005 non-renewals, as a
follow-up to Jeanne Brown’s e-mail reminder.
Membership form and dues restructuring: The ballot measure proposing
bylaws revision simplifying the dues structure passed. The committee revised the membership
form to incorporate changes in the dues structure, to ease data gathering, and
to improve directory listing.
· Membership reports and status of membership: Committee members received monthly membership statistics reports from Vicki Roper. 2004 saw a 154 net membership increase over 2003 (includes 229 new members). 2005 renewals are still coming in.
· Publicity: After the 2004 conference, we posted a reminder on arlis-l to submit 2004 conference photographs to Ted Goodman as part of the plan to increase visuals highlighting the value of conferences to members. Discussed ideas for welcoming new members: new members’ packets & membership cards, ribbons and dinners at the conference, mentions in Update or on the web site. Discussed publicity ideas, creating a bookmark, working with the Diversity Committee on a brochure, improving information on the web site. Proposed a “benefits of membership” section for the web page to feature statements from members and highlight membership diversity. Collected sample statements and drafted a letter for posting on arlis-l. Communicated with the AWS Editor and Publications Committee Chair about ideas to develop web site.
Outreach to library schools:
Committee members sent letters to library schools to announce the
ARLIS/NA Internship Award. Heather
Ball, Chair of the Professional Development Committee, thanked the committee:
the number of student applicants for the ARLIS/NA Internship
Award increased yet again.
· Student issues and student members: There were 120 student members for 2004 (up from 81 in 2003); 85 were new members. Discussions on the listserv related to the formation of a student interests round table is probably a factor. Sue Koskinen and Janine Henri successfully proposed a 2005 conference session geared toward the needs of student members. The session, “Gen X or Just Gen?: So you want to work with art information?”, will be moderated by Sue Koskinen. One of the panelists is Professional Development Committee Chair Heather Ball and another is an information school faculty member. We proposed a student pub social as a way for students to meet potential members interested in student issues and encouraged the formation of a Student Affairs Discussion Group.
Plan 2000-2005, Progress on Action Items:
1. “Encourage new members through
reciprocal advertising with other professional organizations and coordination
with the North American Relations Committee, Chapter and liaisons.”
Ongoing: Continued outreach to library
2. “Revise and update, in
consultation with Headquarters, the ARLIS/NA brochure, budget request, and
· Completed: Membership form revised. Brochure added to the web.
· To do once current stock is depleted: Brochure revision (consult with Professional Development Committee and Diversity Committee?).
3. “Retain members by aggressively
working with Headquarters, Regional Representatives and Chapter officers to
address issues of non-renewals, encouraging renewals and updating
Ongoing: Non-renewals memo submitted
for e-mail blast; further follow-up planned.
To do: Contact Chapters to initiate
outreach to local members who are not yet national members. Survey non-renewals to gauge
satisfaction with the benefits of membership.
4. “Utilize the web site as a
communication tool ensuring that basic membership functions of application,
renewal, and updating directory information are in place. Establish a link for
Complete: Membership forms available at
Brochure available at http://www.arlisna.org/membership_brochure.pdf.
· Ongoing: Develop a “new members” section on the ARLIS web site with a focus on creating awareness. Discussed with Publication Committee Chair Jack Robertson ideas for member profiles, features highlighting the benefits of membership, the need for more visuals.
To do: Continue to push for online
membership directory improvements (addition of indexes). Try to get library schools to link to
arlisna.org from their web pages.
5. “Work with Development and
Travel Awards Committee to secure funding to encourage membership growth, and to
identify additional funding sources for new members.”
To do: Survey local chapters to see
what kinds of scholarships there are for students and new members.
6. “Work with Professional
Development Committee to expand the mentor program to include new members to
help foster membership retention as well as provide leadership training for the
Complete: Proposed programming for the
’05 conference addressing professional development for students: a panel session
and a pub social. Communicated with
Professional Development Committee Chair re: ARLIS/UK professional development
activities. Proposed “Student
Member” ribbons for ’05 conference to improve visibility of student
Membership renewal reminder dates need to be included in the management calendar and calendar should be made available at the Leadership Breakfast if possible.
Can Committee Chairs be
included in list of those receiving monthly management calendars?
Need clarification about when the next strategic plan will take effect.