Annual Report (2004)
Co-presidents: Isabelle Crepéau and Susan Travis
Secretary: Diane Vallée (January – May 2004) and
Mary Louise Gordon (May 2004 – December 2005)
Treasurer: Kathryn Kollar
Membership Secretary: Janice Anderson (resigned, December 2004)
Editor of MOQDOC: Catherine Carlyle
Professional Development Awards Committee:
Guttman, Danielle Léger, Irena Murray (January to September) and Judy Silverman
(September to present)
Nominating Committee: Vacant
Francesca Maniaci and Felicity Tayler
Past co-presidents: Francesca Maniaci and Ginette Bujold
Representative: Jonathan Franklin
In 2004, the executive committee held five meetings:
January - Discussion of 2004 agenda
March - Discussion of spring meeting agenda
June - Discussion of letter received by Pierre Boisvert and Wolfgang Noethlichs
September - Discussion of survey results
October - Discussion of fall meeting agenda
Efforts were made to
increase membership. Membership
secretary Janice Anderson contacted former members. A listserv was created to facilitate
contact with members. A survey was
conducted to ask members to contribute ideas to increase membership. Co-president Susan Travis presented
information about ARLIS/MOQ to graduate students of library and information
science at McGill University in Montreal in October.
At the end of 2004, treasurer Kathryn Kollar reported that the account balance for ARLIS/MOQ was $3,795.06CD
MOQDOC ARLIS/MOQ Publication (two issues per
MOQDOC Vol.13 No. 2 was published and distributed in July 2004
MOQDOC Vol. 14 No. 1 was published and distributed in January 2005
Catherine Carlyle was an excellent editor of MOQDOC, assisted
by Peter Trepanier, Frances Smith and Françoise Roux. Sylvie Alix was responsible for
Dr Irena Murray and Francesca Maniaci each received an $800.00 CD travel award to attend the ARLIS/NA conference in New York.
ARLIS/MOQ Spring Meeting 2004
Rare Books, Archaeology in Israel
Friday, 30 April
Université de Montréal, Claire McNicoll Building, room
2900, Chemin de la Tour Montréal, Québec
Deutsch: histoire d'une restauration peu banale et fort délicate d'un incunable
de la collection du CCA.
Marie Trottier, CCA
Archéologie de la ville de Gezer, Israël: histoire et résultats de 90 années de
Isabelle Crépeau, CCA
Tour of the new Rare Books and Special Collections Library,
ARLIS/MOQ Fall Meeting 2004
The Future of ARLIS/MOQ
Friday, 19 November
Canadian Centre for
1920 rue Baile Montréal, Québec
Denise Dolbec: The
French Version of the Art and Architecture Thesaurus
Results and Open Discussion of the ARLIS/MOQ Survey
Tours (French and English) The 60s:
Canadian Centre for Architecture, Montréal, Québec
Fundraiser: Works of Art (silent auction) $282.00 CD
ARLIS/MOQ Executive Committee 2005
President: Renata Guttman
Secretary: Mary Gordon
Treasurer: Kathryn Kollar
Membership Secretary: Paul Chénier
ARLIS/Canada Representative: Isabelle Crépeau
MOQDOC Editor: Philip Dombowsky
Professional Development Committee:
Melinda Reinhardt, Judy Silverman and Danielle Léger
FINANCIAL REPORT FOR 2004
BALANCE 01-01-2004 4,451.93
Memberships / Conference April 2004
Memberships & Conference (silent auction) November 2004 753.80
Postage charges (cheque)
Travel award – Francesca Maniaci (cheque)
Travel award – Irena Murray (cheque)
Conference April 2004 – petty cash
Gifts for Conference April 2004 (cheque)
MOQDOC mailing (cheque)
Conference November 2004 – petty cash
Bank fees (3.75 month)
Kathryn L. Kollar, Treasurer
Spring Business Meeting held at the Université de Montréal (Pavillon Claire
McNicoll) on Friday April 30th, 2004.
and Susan Travis presiding. Approved
Opening of the meeting. Isabelle welcomed everyone. Presentation of the
Executive. Thanks were given to the different collaborators of the day,
including Luce Payette (absent), Geneviève Bazin for the visit to the new
facilities of the rare books department, Marie Trottier, speaker, and Carole
Urbain, director of libraries.
Adoption of the agenda
Susan Travis proposed the adoption of the
agenda that had already been sent to the members. Her motion was supported by
Kathryn Kollar, seconded by Pierre Boisvert. Adopted unanimously.
Adoption of the minutes of the 21 November 2003 meeting.
No modifications. Susan proposed the adoption
of the minutes. Her motion was supported by Ginette Bujold, seconded by Pierre
Boisvert. The adoption of the minutes was unanimous.
Membership Representative (Janice Anderson)
have renewed their memberships in ARLIS/MOQ so far for 2004. This number
indicates a decline from last year, when there were a total of forty-four
renewals. Additional memberships are still coming in, however, so the numbers
will rise before the final tally has been made.*
decided that in order to save paper and mailing costs the invitations to the
spring meeting would be sent by e-mail. To this end Janice updated the e-mail
list, ensuring that all members who had renewed for 2002, 2003, and 2004 were on
the list. She did this by comparing the existing list on Yahoo Groups with the
information on the membership database. Since future communications will be sent
this way it is important for members to keep their e-mail addresses up to date.
Please send any changes to Janice at email@example.com.
Several of those present expressed concern regarding the low number of memberships and, in particular, the absence of representation from the cultural institutions of Québec City. The opinion was expressed that extra effort should be made to recruit members from Québec, and that organizing meetings outside of Montréal would be an interesting means of doing so. Jonathan Franklin suggested beginning meetings later in the morning. Marilyn Berger suggested that the Spring Meeting take place in May. Isabelle and Susan noted these suggestions. In response to a question from Brigitte Lafond (Museum of Civilization, Hull) on institutional membership, it was agreed to send membership forms to Brigitte so that she might distribute them to employees of the Museum. This might bring in some new members.
report (Kathryn Kollar)
presented the budget. She reported that there is less money this year in
comparison to last, however, ARLIS/MOQ awarded two travel awards to Irena Murray
and Francesca Maniaci for the conference in New York. Funds were also needed for
the publication of MOQDOC. Isabelle reminded us that this year our chapter did
not contribute to the cocktail party at the New York conference. A
recommendation to do so will be made at the fall meeting. We should expect to
donate between $100 to $200 U.S. for this activity next year at Houston. To
rebuild our coffers we should think seriously about a fund raising event for the
next meeting. Last year the bazaar raised $200.
MOQDOC (Catherine Carlyle)
Catherine Carlyle is the current editor of
MOQDOC, having taken over from Peter Trepanier. Catherine just finished a work
co-op in Collections Development at the National Gallery of Canada, Library and
Archives and is returning to full-time studies to finish her library degree at
the University of Western Ontario in London, Ontario.
Catherine thanked the members for their contributions to the forthcoming spring issue of MOQDOC. Sylvie Alix is in the process of completing the layout for this issue and the members will receive their copies of the spring issue by mail. Janice Anderson is in charge of the mailing of MOQDOC.
Catherine is looking for a co-editor to aid
with the fall issue of MOQDOC. Please contact her via email to discuss this
opportunity. She also needs contributions for the fall issue. The due date for
submissions for the fall issue of is August 15th , 2004.
Please contact Catherine via email at: firstname.lastname@example.org. She will also post her email address and any
further information about the fall issue of MOQDOC on the ARLIS/MOQ
Secretary (Diane Vallée)
Diane stated that her mandate was ended and
that she had enjoyed her work as secretary. She described the mandate and duties
of the position of Secretary.
New Secretary / Election committee
Mary Gordon (CCA) accepted the position of
secretary and was unanimously elected. Isabelle noted the importance of a
representative on the elections committee because there are numerous positions
to fill in the coming year. She will be recruiting candidates from the
membership to form this committee.
Report ARLIS/NA (Jonathan Franklin)
Jonathan reported on the success of the New
York conference. Not to be missed in February 2005 is the installation in
Central Park by Christo and Jeanne-Claude. The next ARLIS/NA Conference will
take place in March 2005 in Houston. He mentioned the need for Canadian members
to begin considering how they can help out with the Banff conference in 2006. He
reminded MOQ members of the May 31st deadline for special project funding ($500
U.S.). An application form can be found on the ARLIS/NA website. He also raised
the issue of ARLIS NA/Chapter relations, concerning liability, insurance, taxes,
bylaws and trademarks. Further information on this topic will be forthcoming
Letter concerning the CCA : final decision
Isabelle recounted the events. The letters (in
English and French), drafted by Daphne Dufresne and Françoise Roux, were finally
received in March 2004. Isabelle commented on the high quality of the writing
and the relevance of the document. However, she expressed her opinion that it
was much too late to send the letters. As well, she felt uncomfortable and in a
position of conflict of interest because she works at the CCA, as does the
spouse of the Co-President. For these reasons, the letter will not be made
public. If individuals wish to transmit the letter on their own behalf, she has
no objections. The participants at the meeting realized that it was too late to
react to the events of last year. Pierre Boisvert expressed that it was time to
question the chapter’s mandate. Is it only a social club or does it take a stand
on political issues? Diane Vallée mentioned the importance of acting in
concertation with more politcally engaged (“revendicatrices”) or more structured
associations such as CORPO or ASTED when events happen that require a rapid
response. Wolfgang Noethlichs asked for an Estates General on the question and
moved that it be put on the agenda for the November meeting. The motion was
seconded by Pierre Boisvert. Adopted unanimously. In the meantime, it was
suggested that the debate continue in the pages of the next issue of MOQDOC. The
due date for submissions for the fall issue of is August 15th, 2004
Isabelle noted that the work
had been done. Corrections have been made.
New membership form
It was suggested that we redo
the graphics on our membership form. Isabelle asked for volunteers. Kathryn will
ask John Latour if he can do it. To follow.
End of meeting
Susan proposed the end of the meeting. Seconded
by Marilyn Berger. The meeting ended at 10h30.
was some discussion among members present in which some expressed the opinion
that the incoming memberships would not have a significant impact on the
Copy of LETTER sent to ARLIS/MOQ Co-presidents in May, 2004
École nationale de théâtre du Canada
31 mai 2004
Les statistiques concernant le nombre total de membres
d’ARLIS/MOQ par rapport au nombre de participants aux deux réunions annuelles
entre 2000 et 2004 (généralement 20 personnes environ) montrent un affaiblissement de notre
Les problèmes suivants ont été observé lors des dernières
le manque de participation et un mutisme grandissant de nos
membres actifs aux réunions en général.
la répartition inégale des membres entre Montréal (majorité),
Ottawa (minorité), et Québec (zéro membre depuis des années).
des membres qui délaissent de plus en plus l’association.
la difficulté de recruter des jeunes professionnels pour
l’incapacité d’ARLIS/MOQ de réagir adéquatement et rapidement
à des évènements qui nous concernent tous dans le milieu :
Ex. : - la lettre rédigée à
la suite des coupures au CCA et jamais envoyée à cause de retards
réaction à la fermeture au public ou aux coupures de postes dans certaines
bibliothèques de musées
(MBAM et Musée national des beaux-arts du Québec).
- indifférence relative
face aux dangers qui guettent le centre de documentation de la Cinémathèque
québécoise, etc, etc, etc
À cause des points soulevés plus haut, Pierre et moi composons
une lettre (à être proposée et acceptée par le comité exécutif d’ARLIS MOQ) et
un questionnaire s’adressant à tous les membres, les invitant tous et toutes à
participer physiquement et activement à une discussion avec le titre
Nous proposons que cette discussion ait lieu lors de notre prochaine réunion d’automne et qu’elle prenne tout le temps nécessaire. C’est pourquoi nous proposons aussi de ne pas planifier de conférencier ou d’atelier pour cette conférence mais que la réunion dure toute la journée en forme d’«États généraux » afin de permettre à tous les membres présents d’exprimer librement et ouvertement leur opinion concernant les causes de la crise actuelle qui secoue notre association ainsi que de proposer des actions à prendre.
Chaque membre est prié de se poser la question si ARLIS MOQ répond (encore) à ses besoins et attentes, s’il est prêt à participer activement dans les tâches administratives de l’association , et nous invitons chacun à participer avec un œil critique à une éventuelle remise en question de certains fonctionnements et procédures de l’association puis de proposer des démarches concrètes afin de la revitaliser.
Si, lors de cette réunion, le nombre de participants était de
nouveau très faible ou si la participation à la discussion s’avérait
insuffisante pour conclure que les membres actifs et présents ont un intérêt
réel au relancement d’ARLIS MOQ, nous proposons un vote sur l’avenir de
November 13, 2004 ARLIS/MOQ Fall Meeting Highlights
This is a draft and not yet approved by ARLIS/MOQ members)
Isabelle Crepéau suggested that ARLIS/MOQ act in concert with larger
associations such as the Corporation des bibliothécaires prefessionnels du
Québec (CORPO). Isabelle reported that she has written to the President of the
CORPO, Régine Horinstein earlier this year. Mme Horinstein has said that she
would be happy to have a group like ARLIS/MOQ join with the CORPO in expressing
an opinion when necessary. In particular, Mme Horinstein is in the process of
drafting a letter regarding the new Cultural Policy of the City of Montréal.
This policy is still being discussed. Mme Horinstein will let ARLIS/MOQ know
when her letter is ready.
Isabelle noted that, at the last meeting, Marilyn Berger mentioned that
the Chapter should contribute to a cocktail to be held at ARLIS/NA
(US$100.-$150.). Claire asked whether it would be preferable to use this money
to have more people attend the ARLIS/NA Conference. Renata pointed out that
ARLIS/NA will be contributing to the meeting held in Banff in 2006.
continued, saying that Cyndie Campbell had been chair of the Professional
Development Committee. Renata and Danielle Léger were also members of the
committee. Irena Murray had succeeded Cyndie but has since taken a position in
London. Danielle has asked Judy Silverman to be on the committee (there are
supposed to be 3 people). They have $1000 available. $100 is allotted to a
membership bursary; $700 is allotted to a travel award for the annual conference
of ARLIS/NA; $200 is allotted for a special travel award. No applications have
been received yet. Last year $800 was allotted to the travel award for the
ARLIS/NA conference. Renata said that the amounts have not yet been posted.
Susan noted that the decision was made before the silent auction was held. [A
silent auction held on the morning of Nov. 19th, 2004 raised $282 for
Jonathan suggested that the next meeting focus on fundraising for travel
awards. He noted that Houston is far and that attending the conference in Banff
will be expensive. He asked if we needed to vote? Renata said that she thought
that the Executive decides in a case like this.
Representative, ARLIS/Canada: Jonathan reminded everyone of the ARLIS/NA Conference to be held in Houston, Texas, Mar. 31-Apr. 6, 2005. He is planning to attend. There will be a “break out session” for chapters. If anyone has questions or issues that they want him to bring up at this session they are invited to let him know. The ARLIS/NA Board is looking at liability insurance and incorporation of chapters. Jonathan asked whether ARLIS/MOQ is incorporated. ARLIS/MOQ is not incorporated. He asked whether ARLIS/MOQ has liability insurance. It does not. He also wanted to mention the Melva J. Dwyer Award. As Canadian Representative of ARLIS/NA, he administers the award. The jury consists of Paul Chenier, Nicole Gjertsen and Ilga Leja. Nominations should be submitted to Jonathan and the deadline is the end of December. Finally, Jonathan noted that the Canadian War Museum will be opening in May 2005 and that if ARLIS/MOQ would like to plan a meeting in Ottawa at this time and plan a visit to the museum, he would be willing to participate in the organization process.
a documentation specialist working on the Répertoire de vedettes matière (RVM)
at Université Laval, gave an overview of the recent history of the RVM and its
relationship to the AAT. There are 133, 000 descriptors in the AAT and, to date,
11,000 have been translated into French. She explained that these headings are
being integrated into the RVM. She described some of the problems that the
project encounters: e.g. the AAT does not publish a list of revised headings, so
it is difficult to have the French-language version reflect recent changes to
the original thesaurus. She explained that integrating the AAT into the RVM
permits the RVM to have a greater degree of precision than is found in the
headings derived from Library of Congress Subject Headings alone.
Presentation of ARLIS/MOQ 2004 Survey and Results
Isabelle, Janice, and Kathryn presented the results of the survey.
Questions and answers follow:
many ARLIS/MOQ meetings have you attended in the last 5 years? Average
of 4 meetings
Q2. When you did not attend, what was/were the reason(s)
commitments in other organizations 16%
(distance, new member, not available, no longer interested) 5%
Q3. Would you prefere there be
one meeting of two per year?
long have you been a member of ARLIS/MOQ
or less 15%
Q5. Are you thinking of renewing you membership?
work in an art library
Q7. How would you suggest we
recruit new members?
art history departments in academic environments
out an e-mail to the internal e-mail system of library schools
out to library technicians and other interested parties (not just
Advertise on the ARLIS/NA listserv
University students should be approached in classes
students and faculty that are not members from the institution that is hosting
Regularly contact librarians at various institutions
Establish relationships with all art institutions
outside of Montreal, Ottawa and Quebec
more internships or scholarship awards as incentives
Inactive members should be contacted
Consider how current membership might be maintained
membership secretary must actively recriut new members more often
Meetings should present more interesting or technical information
you read MOQDOC?
no, why not?
How many times a year do you think MOQDOC should be published?
times per year 64%
Q12. What should be the future
alll art professional
Outreach other art associations
for art librarians
involvement from Ottawa and Quebec
up into two chapters
Would you accept to become more actively involved (i.e. accept positions in the
executive committte and in MOQDOC?
order of priority, list five important issues for ARLIS/MOQ.
regarding the library community
Other issues you would like to be taken into account?
organizing a meeting, consider travel time of members coming from Ottawa and
collaboration for newsletter
management (closing of art libraries, layoffs)
Discussion of the Results of the Survey
not a verbatim transcript. Following each speaker’s name you will find a
selection/summary of the individual’s comments.
Wolfgang: thanked Susan and Isabelle for answering his and Pierre’s
invitation to set things in motion at ARLIS/MOQ. At the last meeting at the
Université de Montréal he and Pierre had discussed with some of those present at
the meeting the need to review certain problems. He and Pierre subsequently met
to draft a set of propositions. Susan and Isabelle responded by conducting the
survey and the results are now in and one can see certain contradictions
therein, e.g., a majority of members show a preference for meeting twice a year
but 58% say that they have not attended meetings because they are too busy at
work. He noted the number of members present. He expressed the opinion that
things have not changed very much since the last meeting and the raison d’être
of this special meeting is confirmed once more. ARLIS was created many years ago
for valid reasons and that those reasons are still valid.
Jonathan: a comment about numbers; attendance is fairly strong.
ARLIS/Ontario, which has 44 members, had 18 members present at its last meeting.
With 27 out of 36 active members present, ARLIS/MOQ has a good basis for going
during her year as president she expected more response from the members. An
organization should include everyone and not just the executive committee.
people respond when solicited. She thought that there was a pretty good response
to the questionnaire and that the suggestions for the membership were very good.
we have these ideas, but no one wants to go out and do
Isabelle: it’s important to establish priorities because we can’t do
everything. We should choose an objective and try to fulfill it well. Otherwise
there was a project to launch the Chapter—the Directory of Vertical
Files. Perhaps it’s time for another such project. One possible project
would be to put the vertical file directory online in an updated version (it was
a bestseller). This might be an interesting project if people would like to
participate. With the possibility we have to work now at a distance,
electronically, perhaps it would be easier.
speaking as a member from outside Montréal, it might be easier for people like
her to participate if there were just one meeting per year. When she wants
institutional support to attend a meeting it has to be approved by a committee
at the university. One big meeting with a substantial program would be easier
for people from outside Montréal.
Patricia: described herself as a member of long date; initially very
active, later less so. These days continuing education obliges us to be absent
from work more and more. She has heard people in the past say that ARLIS/MOQ is
too social. She also raised the question whether it would be preferable to have
one meeting per year only. Perhaps hire someone from outside to offer some kind
of “formation”. She commented that she had met very interesting people through
ARLIS, and knew a lot of resource people because of it. Perhaps it would be
interesting to broaden the organization by bringing in another discipline like
music or dance. She added that a common project does solidify a
the idea about music is worth pursuing. We’ve had a member from dance before.
“Formation” of a certain kind is also interesting. We should start having
meetings in Ottawa or in Québec. Social is good. It enables us to get to know
one another . She is opposed to having only one meeting per year. Perhaps it’s
time to start having travel awards to attend our own meetings. In the beginning
we alternated meetings in Montréal with meetings in Québec or Ottawa. It’s true
that sometimes people didn’t want to travel, but still the survey results show
that a fair number of people managed to attend.
asked what about one 2-day meeting per year?
Patricia noted that this particular meeting coincided with the Salon du
Isabelle responded, it’s difficult to choose a date; the Executive
Committee didn’t realize that it was the same day as the Salon when choosing a
date for today’s meeting.
ARLIS/NE wanted to have a joint meeting with ARLIS/MOQ this year. In the end it
was impossible but they are interested in having a joint meeting next year.
the problem of not responding quickly enough when something happens is not
Ginette: it’s not always necessary that it be a member of the
professional staff that attends a meeting; it could be a
Isabelle: re: recruitment: recruiting among students: students are
concerned with finding jobs. What do we have to offer to new members? Becoming a
member as a working librarian, her interests were different. She wanted to know
what was happening, particularly in the “milieu des arts”. How can we reach the
Melinda: one way this has been done in the past is through a mentoring
Melinda: internship is something different than mentoring.
she went to McGill to talk to library students about ARLIS/MOQ. Four students
expressed an interest in joining; 2 gave her their names.
Melinda: a mentoring program is something you want to think through. She
can’t promise anything for these people right away.
Wolfgang: would be willing to invite one of them to his library, to
introduce him/her at a meeting, try to help the person feel welcomed, not like
Isabelle: the will to get involved with ARLIS/MOQ has to come from the
students themselves—e.g. don’t ask a new member immediately to become the
secretary. It’s important to go slowly.
Wolfgang: will take one student.
Melinda: will take the other.
there is a need to houseclean “nettoyer” our structures. An issue is raised at
one meeting, and decisions get put off to the next meeting. We don’t act. Next
year, Montréal will be the City of the Book and even though we are an
organization of librarians/information professionals, no one will hear from us.
He would like to see ARLIS/MOQ take action.
Isabelle: it is important to establish priorities and advance in small
steps. Otherwise the task is overwhelming.
discussion concerning the 2-year term of the president
Wolfgang: some people are only interested in being president for one
Isabelle: if the meeting is being held outside of the city where the
president resides, perhaps there could be someone in the city where the meeting
is to be held whose job is to organize the meeting. This would give the
president more time to attend to the business of the chapter.
Patricia: this used to be the way that it was done.
in our bylaws, is it possible for an individual to continue beyond 2 years as
president if (s)he so wishes?
in the ARLIS/NA Bylaws for chapters, you only need a president and a
secretary-treasurer; some people say that there is too much bureaucracy in
ARLIS/MOQ; it’s possible to have an executive committee with only 2
Wolfgang: you need implication, people actively involved in an
organization, people doing things
Melinda: on an ongoing basis
Wolfgang: if others contribute it will enhance his own
[possible subject for the Chapter to address in a meeting]: how to deal with the
new job market. What kind of expertise does one find in
was further discussion about ways to publicize and share the expertise of the
membership. It was observed that e-mail, the listserv could be used for this
purpose. It was suggested that each member could write down her/his own areas of
expertise and they could be put in a sort of “pool”.
the listserv is underutilized
how do you explain the fact that no one responds to a call for nominations for
an executive committee?
Isabelle intervened saying that there were only a few minutes
some further discussion, an ad-hoc brainstorming committee was formed. The
members who volunteered to serve on this committee were: