Minutes for the Management Issues Round Table
April 20, 2004
Moderated by Bella Karr Gerlich
1. Minute Taking - Moira Steven volunteered to record the minutes of the meeting.
Management Issues Official
Karen McKenzie (Art Gallery of Ontario), Jacqui Allen (Dallas Museum of Art)
and Bella Karr Gerlich (
Document (CMD) Comments – the CMD was offered for comments by the group. Suggestions included addition Digital Project
Management as a management issue. The
document will be added to the Management Issues Roundtable website for review
by other interested ARLIS members. It
will also include links to documents from the recent and future workshops when
possible. The group can also look for
sponsorship. Moira Steven volunteered to
do editing and review as the document develops.
Margaret Webster (
Nominees for Roundtable
Bella Karr Gerlich (
5. Program Suggestions – Topics included:
- core competencies in management
- assessing instruction (partnering with RISS?)
- solo librarianship and management
- collection development of a diversity of materials in times of stagnant or declining budgets – presents a special management challenge (“doing more with less”/”doing the same with a lot less”)
Other ideas stressed having a “workshop” section of a session, which would not then have any constrictions of topic. Planning and facilitators would be needed and the form would be a presentation followed by a breakout session.
Collaboration with a local Special Libraries Association Chapter might be a way to expand the program, particularly as they have been working on Core Competencies for several years. A literature review might also yield suggestions for speakers. The focus has to remain, however, management issues for art libraries.
Ideas will be distributed to the Management Issues Roundtable and ARLIS/NA via the listserv to solicit comments.
6. Special Funding – The group discussed obtaining special funding for a survey of needs with questions such as:
- What are the unique challenges of managing an art library?
- What management skills development do you have/do you need?
These and others could be folded into the environmental assessment being completed by ARLIS/NA and become part of the strategic planning documents. There may not be funding available for a separate survey, but we should be able to use the listserv for an informal information gathering to craft formal questions for the Strategic Planning questionnaire. The group will need to pass all items through Margaret Webster.
7. Other Items – a suggestion was made for an Occasional Paper on assessment forms used in art schools (re: user satisfaction surveys, bibliographic instruction feedback, etc.). The group can solicit interested participants via the listserv.
Issues Roundtable Attendees –
Diane Sammet Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale email@example.com
Kathleen List Ringling School of Art and Design firstname.lastname@example.org
Cynthia Johnson Pratt Institute email@example.com
Watson Library firstname.lastname@example.org
Jamie MacInnis Art Institute of
Hugh Wilburn Harvard Design School email@example.com
Lynda S. White University of Virginia firstname.lastname@example.org
Bonnie Reed Texas Tech University email@example.com
Library & Teachers Resource Ctr firstname.lastname@example.org
Trudy Jacoby Princeton University email@example.com
Jack Robertson Thomas Jefferson Foundation firstname.lastname@example.org
Bella Karr Gerlich Carnegie Mellon University email@example.com