Art Libraries Society of
ARLIS/NA MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE MEETING
Present: Kathy Corcoran (Co-Chair), Irene Puchalski (Board liaison), Peggy Keeran (incoming Board liaison), Janine Henri (incoming Committee Chair), Susan Malkoff Moon, Margaret Boylan, Sue Koskinen, Marilyn Nasserden, Deborah Perotti, Gladys Markoff-Sotomayor, Jeanne Brown, and Vicky Roper.
Non-renewals project: Members discussed the project, which was to contact those who had not renewed their ARLIS/NA memberships. We agreed that it is worthwhile doing to encourage nonrenewals to become members again, and expressed the need for up-to-date contact information.
Dues structure: The Committee will need to revise the membership form once the dues structure has been revised. Since the current structure based on salary is a violation of privacy, a new and simpler dues structure will replace the structure currently in use.
Student outreach: the Committee will:
· Continue its contacts with library and information science schools, and its outreach to library school students.
· Appeal to chapters to be more active in recruiting students.
· Support the formation of a Student Members Round Table and the creation of a web page for student member issues.
Board Liaison report:
· Chapters: Peggy reported that the Board is looking at the organization’s relationship with the chapters, and will be formalizing this relationship.
· Online membership directory: Committee members felt that it was useful and urged that the indexes be included.
· How many members should this committee have? Because of the amount and importance of the Committee’s work, having more members is desirable; perhaps student interns could be used as well.
· The ARLIS website will be improved to attract new members, show the benefits of membership, and the metadata will be improved. The Committee will review the website for areas which can be improved (e.g., to highlight the benefits of membership such as reduced prices for publications).
· The Board proposes two changes to the by-laws dealing with the revised dues structure and overseas membership; the Committee approved of the changes.
Conference proposals for 2005,
· The Strategic Planning Task Force is looking at conducting a membership survey. The Committee will want to work with the Task Force to ensure that the survey will assess member satisfaction with Society benefits.
· The Committee should investigate adding a membership partnership statement to the Society’s Mission Statement.
Submitted by: Kathryn L. Corcoran, Co-Chair