1. Gregory Most, Moderator-Elect, opened the meeting in place of Marcia Stein, Moderator, who was unable to attend the conference.
2. Amy Ciccone, Program Co-chair for the 2001 L.A. Conference, invited the group to provide input regarding formats and times for any VRD programs. Poster sessions are included on the program. The deadline for proposals is May 1, 2000.
3. 31 people signed in for attendance at the meeting.
4. Introduction of Officers and Election of Vice-Moderator/Moderator-Elect. Gregg Most.
There were no self-nominations for the office of VRD Vice-Moderator following Gregg's request for nominees on ARLIS-L. Mary Wassermann has agreed to take on the Vice-Moderator and Moderator-Elect 2001 position. Gregg is now elected Moderator, Mary Vice-Moderator for 2000.
5. ARLIS/NA Strategic Plan discussion.
Leigh Gates, Chair of the Visual Resources Advisory Committee, reported that the VRAC meeting was largely devoted to discussing the Strategic Plan. The VRAC came up with three major areas to address as Action Items. They will be summarized and posted on ARLIS-L and VRA-L.
6. VRA Website and Listserv
VRD List Serve: The VRD list-serve has been quite inactive, and Linda Bien has experienced lack of institutional support for hosting the site. Gregg recommended disbanding the list, re-integrating it into ARLIS-L and using "VRD" in the subject lines of messages. Gregg expressed the Division's gratitude to Linda Bien and Concordia University, Montreal, for administering and hosting the list. .
A few members volunteered to see if their institutions would be able
to host the VRD website.
(Ann Whiteside later confirmed her institution, Harvard University, would be able to host it).
7. Report of Visual Resources Advisory Committee meeting. Leigh Gates.
In addition to the Strategic Plan, the St. Louis meeting was discussed
at the VRAC meeting. The deadline for proposals for the St. Louis
joint ARLIS/NA-VRA Conference is not set (a tentative date is May 1, 2001).
Any specific topics for workshops that would be of value to members of
each organization would be welcome for consideration. It is not too
soon to be thinking about this.
A letter sent by the VRAC to the Getty in support of its Vocabulary Programs received a positive and encouraging response from the Getty.
8. Incoming Executive Board Treasurer. Trudy Jacoby.
The deadline for funding requests is May 31, and for conference reports is May 1. Please contact Trudy about any immediate needs to be taken to the Executive Board while ARLIS/NA makes the transition to a new management firm in April. As a VR person, Trudy is happy to help facilitate communication with the Board.
Trudy also commended Sara Jane Pearman for her work on the Silent Auction for the Pittsburgh conference.
9. Incoming ARLIS/NA President. Ted Goodman.
Ted Goodman, Incoming ARLIS/NA President, introduced himself and announced that next year's conference would be March 29 through April 4; themed "2001: An L.A. Odyssey." The May 1, 2000 deadline for conference proposals will be enforced. ARLIS/NA membership growth is an issue Ted hopes to address this year. He also reminded people about the Silent Auction, and asked people to spend time with the exhibitors.
Sara Jane Pearman thanked everyone who donated to the Silent Auction and noted the money generated will go towards the Scholarship Fund, for professional development.
10. Discussion of Harvard's Fogg Classification System. Martha Mahard.
The Fogg system is being re-evaluated and has been under revision in the past five years. It has not been distributed, either. Martha would like users' input about improvements. It was agreed that some type of forum for the examination and revision of classification and vocabulary standards (not limited to the Fogg) would be useful. Gregg Most suggested proposing a joint task force with VRA to create a website for this purpose.
Ann Whiteside, 2000-2001 President of VRA, agreed to bring the website proposal up at the VRA business meeting in San Francisco.
11. Academic Image Cooperative. Max Marmor.
The first year's prototype of the AIC is concluded and an internet version will soon be accessible. The cooperative is reassessing image content, data structure, and options for long range financial stability. The AIC is supported by the Digital Library Federation and the College Art Association and has received funding from several sources. Max noted CAA was not financing the AIC, but has an economic structure in place to support the project. An informative flyer designed for the ARLIS/NA and CAA conference was distributed.
12. Discussion of proposals for Los Angeles (2001) and St. Louis (2002).
13. Final announcements and conclusion.
Gregg thanked Marty Stein for her work as VRD Moderator this past year.
Betsy Peck Learned, Co-Editor of Art Documentation, needs articles. Please contact her if you are interested in contributing to the journal.
The meeting was adjourned by Gregg Most.
ARLIS/NA Visual Resources Division