Present: Evalyn Stone (chair); Alexandra de Luise, Kay Downey, Sheila Fox, Gisèle Guay, Lilah S. Mittelstaedt, Evalyn Stone led the meeting. The group was also joined by ARLIS/NA board liaison, Carole Goldsmith, Canadian Representative.
1. Serials swap Gisèle Guay who has been coordinating the serials swap at conferences so admirably for the past six years can no longer do it. The group discussed disbanding it, especially in light of the amount of swapping going on over ARLIS-L and because of the sacrifices the coordinator must make at the conference in being available to host the event during early morning and late evening hours. Members agreed that the swap should probably be continued over ARLIS-L, perhaps holding it officially twice a year (January and August). The swap could be announced in advance in the Serials Update column and on ARLIS-L. Participants would then be asked to use a standard subject heading (“Serial Swap”) in the mail header. The group decided to poll members of the SRT who were not at the meeting about this idea. Other particulars about the swap (i.e., whether an institution should charge for postage or not) will remain between the individual institutions. Evalyn will poll SRT members.
2. Program proposals for Los Angeles conference One suggestion put forward was a session on electronic journals and licensing agreements. It was not pursued. Evalyn suggested creating a ‘serials cataloging’ discussion group at the next conference. There are matters related to cataloging serials, vendor issues, publisher problems, foreign titles, how to cite periodicals, etc., that aren’t addressed either at the Cataloger’s discussion group, on ARLIS-L or elsewhere. Serials catalogers could be invited to the discussion meeting and the comments generated could be written up in the Serials Update Column. Advertisement of the group’s existence could be posted in NASIG and with other serials groups. Evalyn agreed to propose it for the next conference and if approved, would serve as the coordinator/leader at its first meeting.
3. Project to produce a finding aid for reviews of art periodicals and art indexes, which is being proposed as an Occasional paper of ARLIS/NA, was submitted to the Publications Committee last November. Alexandra de Luise, the coordinator of this project, is expecting an answer from the Committee with comments very shortly.
4. Nominations for a new chair Evalyn Stone was nominated to continue serving through next year’s conference, which she accepted. Gisèle Guay will continue to edit the Serials Update column.
5. John Benjamins Award This year there were no winners, leading the group to speculate that the award should be better publicized; for example, on listserves and with library schools. The question came up whether the SRT should be promoting it or the Awards Committee of ARLIS/NA. Carole Goldsmith will enquire.
6. Strategic Plan items Evalyn led the group through the action plan items that concerned the SRT:
No.40 “Create procedures and assign members from each Division, Section, and Round Table to monitor and select for inclusion on Web Site material from web sites of agencies, societies, associations in related professional fields; create email list for Web Manager and all web site monitors.
Members suggested assigning someone to look at the website and suggest links, to NASIG, for example. Sheila Fox will look into this and make suggestions to Ted Goodman.
No.47 “Create desiderata file of reference tools, research aids, translations…; identify potential compilers; identify and work with publishers.”
The Occasional paper project (see item 3, above) can be considered, once completed, a desiderata of reference tools.
No.50 “ Establish guidelines and publicize procedures for serial swapping online”
Forthcoming (see item 1, above)
No.51 “Create guide to sources listing and/or reviewing new serial titles; disseminate on Web Site and in print”
Item 3 (above) addresses this.
No.52 “Create, and update, on Web Site, an annotated listing of electronic indexing/abstracting tools for art, architecture, and design serial publications and in fields related to the arts.”
Alexandra de Luise offered to share such a listing, which she created as part of the periodicals chapter she is working on for the updated Guide to the literature of art history, with SRT members.
No.53 “Identify and report on electronic availability of relevant periodical titles; include new online and/or CD ROM titles and “standard” art and architecture titles available full-text online; create descriptive evaluative report on vendors of full-text services.”
Stephanie Moye (SRT member) did a list of art-related electronic journals a few years ago that she distributed at a SRT business meeting.
No.54 “Identify, assess, and report on tools for identifying serial titles and volumes holdings in North American libraries.”
A member suggested selecting five electronic art resources and highlighting them in the SerialsUpdate column.
7. Advocacy SRT members discussed briefly the issue of no or few images in electronic indexes which index art journals, of which there has also been recent discussion over ARLIS-L. Members agreed to advocate for images as well as text, with publishers.
Seeing no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 9:30 am.
Alexandra de Luise
Flushing, N.Y. 11367