Naomi Niles, Moderator; Tom Grieves, Co-Moderator; Marcy Neth, Recorder.
Amy Ciccone – LA Program Chair Invites us all to LA for the 2001 Annual ARLIS/NA Conference (March 29 – April 4, 2001). Deadline for proposals is May 1st. This will be the first year that “Poster Sessions” are an option for presenting information. Guidelines for proposing sessions are available on the LA Conference web site (http://arlis2001.ucsd.edu/).
2. Minutes from 1999 Meeting accepted unanimously.
3. Election of officers – experiment in continuity: Tom Grieves will take over as Moderator; Marcy Neth will become Moderator-elect; Judy Donovan from Drexel University volunteered to become Update Column Editor and is accepted unanimously.
4. RISS Web Site
Created 2 years ago by Liv Valmstead, who has volunteered to continue hosting and managing site. Her generous offer is accepted Unanimously.
5. Conference Sessions for 2000
RISS is co-sponsor for “Taming the Untamable; art related indexes in a changing world” Carolyn DeLuca will not be participating, but Tom Grieves will speak in her place. Christine Milne from Wilson will be speaking about Art Index and other Wilson products.
6. Proposals for Los Angeles are due to the conference committee by May 1st.
7. Strategic Plans
The current strategic plan is unwieldy. We need to reduce our action items to manageable statements. We need to note items to be removed. Task force wants suggestions by April 15th to go to the board by May 15th. There are several RISS specific items to be discussed. Naomi suggested that program proposals to reflect strategic plan. Pat Lynagh, NMAA, stated that strategic plan should not be vague, but accomplishable tasks. Ann, Bowdoin College, stated that when items take too much time to accomplish they should be reconsidered. Peter Blank recommended a statement such as “the nature of RISS programming has met aspects of the strategic plan – those items that have not been addressed are low priority.” That way we could start over with a clean slate. Certain items can be left out of strategic plan because they are part of the definition of our section. Commitment to action items must have support. Pat Lynagh agrees and suggests that because the web site must include a time commitment it should be an action item.
Naomi calls for new action items as follows:
Lauren Lessing suggested we need to link old items to specific things.
Decisions as follows:
36. Create a "bibliographic instruction" discussion group. – dismiss; ARLIS-L provides forum, no need to create new.
37. Identify and create a roster of members who teach: add "teaching experience" data field on membership form and add listings in Handbook. – ongoing issue; discussion includes the need to survey members without using Membership Form, a clearinghouse of handouts for teaching is maintained through ARLIS’s membership in LOEX, need to promote LOEX. Rewrite of Action Item to read “Promote Use of BI materials through services such as LOEX”
38. Create and/or identify existing programs, publications, inventories, databases, web sites, highlighting the expanding knowledge base which informs research and study in the arts, architecture, and design; create a "related disciplines" page on Web site.– dismiss; effectively met by RISS’ existence
39. Identify instructional programs which emphasize the expanding interdisciplinary nature of knowledge and information sources in the arts and related subject disciplines. – dismiss; met by RISS as part of our definition.
40. Create procedures for web site – dismiss; other committees exist to manage this
41. Create desiderata file of reprints and OP resources - dismiss as no longer valid
42. Accreditation – dismiss; covered by other committee
43. Task force for guidelines for statistics – dismiss; covered by other committee
46. Dismiss; timely notices on ARLIS Update and ARLIS-L
47 Create desiderata file of reference tools, research aids. Tom mentions that Executive Board should be involved in this project. ARLIS needs to take on responsibility of contacting GK Hall. Action item will read “RISS will draft a letter to Board asking for them to address GK Hall with this project”
Meeting is adjourned.