Susan Wyngard – Moderator
I. Introductions; selection of meeting recorder:
Twenty people were in attendance including: Peter Grewenow (Univ. of Washington, Architecture & Urban Planning), Sherman Clarke (New York University), Mary Galvin (Detroit Institute of Arts), Clayton Kirking (Parsons School of Design), Dror Faust, James Viskochil (Cleveland Museum of Art), Floyd Zula (University of California-Fullerton), Paul Glassman, Eric Schwab (Cornell University), Robert Beebe (San Antonio Public Library), Hugh Wilburn (Harvard University), Ted Goodman (Columbia University), Tom Riedel (Regis University), Stephen Patrick (Tennessee State University-Johnson City), William Peniston (Newark Museum), Dennis McGuire (Illinois Institute of Art), Tom Young (Philbrook Museum of Art), Susan Wyngaard (Ohio State University), Milan Hughston (Amon Carter Museum), and representative from the Board - Mary Graham (Arizona State Museum).
Tom Young (Vice Moderator) served as recorder.
II. Old Business
Review of 1998 activities, annual and progress reports.
The semi- and annual reports are not reported on ARLIS/NA website, but will appear on the GLIRT-listserv. GLIRT and the Diversity Committee are co-sponsoring the session "When Finally Aroused: Advocating Against Art and Book Censorship" at the 1999 conference. This session includes a performance piece and is being filmed by the Canadian Public Broadcasting.
Susan reports the attempt to establish the GLIRT-listserv, while it is not up yet it is still in the works. Ray Ann Lockard is working on a special issue of Art Documentation for GLIRT (note that another editor may need to be found as she is so involved with Pittsburgh conference planning).
III. New Business
Election of GLIRT Vice-Moderator:
Floyd Zula declined to run for office, William Peniston agreed to run and was elected by acclaim.
Session proposals for Pittsburgh 2000 conference:
Ray Ann Lockard is unable to participate in the program proposals for Pittsburgh, as she is the co-chair for programming at the conference. Ted Goodman suggested a topic related to Andy Warhol. Mentioning the fact that the archive of the Andy Warhol Museum is involved in opening time capsules and video taping the procedures. Clayton Kirking offered to make contact with the museum about a program related to the archives. Also, Dennis McGuire indicated that he knew the archivist and would be happy to contact him regarding a program. Mary Galvin mentioned a second idea relating to the Gay subculture around Andy Warhol and the New York scene. Possibility of a program related to this and the artists that Warhol mentored. William Peniston offered to contact CUNY to see if anyone is doing research in this area at the university.
Susan Wyngaard apologized for the delay in setting up the listserv. But hopes that the problems will soon be resolved. She did ask if anyone else would be interested in taking on the listserv. Erich Schwab offered to look into setting it up at Cornell University.
Items from the floor
Mary Graham (Board liaison) mentioned that May 31st is the deadline for special funding (non- conference related needs – mailings, etc.), and proposals for the Pittsburgh conference. The management survey – several groups have been interviewed and a decision will be forthcoming regarding either the retention or replacement of the existing management firm. Strategic Planning revisited – everyone that submits his or her strategic plan survey form will be in the running for a prize (to be announced). This is to encourage as big a response as possible. Everyone is encouraged to turn in his or her conference evaluation and strategic planning survey. Mary Graham mentioned that Lee Sorenson is trying to step down from being Webmaster for the ARLIS/NA website. Anyone interested is invited to volunteer. She also requested that we pass on any agenda items and concerns to the Board.
Karen McKenzie (Incoming Vice-President) visited and introduced herself to group. She will be the overall liaison between the divisions, sections and round tables. She recommended highly the cable car trip in North Vancouver.
Los Angeles conference: Mary Galvin brought up some ideas for the Los Angeles conference. The possibility of meeting at The Village, a gay/lesbian meeting place in an interesting building, was suggested. Sherman Clarke also mentioned the space (CAA Gay & Lesbian group met there?). The idea of "2001 – a space odyssey" as a theme for the Los Angeles conference was bantered about. Ted Goodman brought up the idea of doing something about gays and lesbians in film. Allison Pinsler at the Academy was mentioned as a contact person. Ted will check on possible sources to participate. Ray Anne had mentioned the ONE Institute (University of Southern California?), regarding the difficulties and challenges of using it (?).
Ted Goodman brought up the subject of the GLIRT archives. He will put it into notebooks and forward to Tom Young (moderator). Susan Wyngaard will send her notes to him for inclusion.
Floyd Zula & the ARLIS-listserv: This was in relationship to the response to Susan Wyngaard related to GLIRT-listserv, that Floyd accidentally posted on ARLIS-L. An individual (?) responded negatively about the validity of GLIRT to it on the ARLIS-L and caused a lot of discussion. Susan Wyngaard received a lot of supportive e-mails privately.
Susan Wyngaard had requested that Women in the Arts and GLIRT not conflict in their meeting times. The conference planners scheduled them at different times, but there was still a low turnout of women at the GLIRT meeting.
Hugh Wilburn asked for assistance for the updated listing of Gay and Lesbian magazines for upcoming revised edition of Katz.
Jim Viskochil offered to take over the GLIRT website, it is currently located at University of Pittsburgh. He was involved in setting it up originally, when he was at the university.
IV. Susan Wyngaard turned the meeting over to the in-coming Moderator, Tom Young. Subsequently, he adjourned the meeting.