Marilyn Russell-Bogle began our meeting by asking all of the members of PDC to introduce themselves. Outgoing members of the committee are Marilyn Russell-Bogle, Carol Graney, Leigh Gates and Michael Boe. The current members of the committee are Norma Mosby Johnson, Bill Bunce, Judy Donovan, Ann Lally, Eileen Simmons, Betsy Lantz, and Laura Schwartz. Our board liaison is Deborah Smedstad. The committee was reminded of the Ask ARLIS session and poster display sponsored by PDC. The Ask ARLIS session, Call to Action: What can WE DO to Educate Future Art Librarians and Visual Resources Professionals?, is on April 6, 1997 from 2:00pm-3:30pm. The poster display entitled, "Answering the Call: Opportunities for Development" is on display during exhibit hours in the Anacacho Ballroom.
Jack Robertson inserted a quick announcement of an awards task force being implemented to evaulate and seek consistency among procedures used by various ARLIS groups in granting awards. He asked that our committee provide a representative to this task force. Norma Johnson volunteered.
It was suggested that the time of committee meetings could be changed at the next conference. A few of the PDC committee members could not make the meeting because it was relatively early on Saturday, before the members arrived at the conference.
The 25th anniversary scholarship fund will get used during 1997-1998.
The committee discussed our charge in relation to the strategic plan. We need to decide what charges to carry through.
Revision of the brochure, Careers in Art Librarianship and Visual Resources, was introduced as a major accomplishment of the committee. The committee discussed methods to get these brochures into the hands of high school and college students as well as library school students. The committee discussed sending the brochures to school librarians, high school counselors, library school educators, art departments within colleges and universities, art libraries, CAA (College Art Association) and SAH (Society of Architectural Historians) members. These brochures are also being distributed at the ARLIS conference.
The Salary Survey was the next agenda item. The committee decided to hold off on initiating a salary survey for now. It was suggested that the committee post a note on ARLIS-L to find out if there is member interest. It was mentioned that Berna Neal is conducting a similar survey for AASL (Association of Architecture School Librarians).
Norma brought the committee up to speed on the core curriculum sub-committee. To follow up on the library school survey, not very many art librarianship and visual resources courses are being offered. The committee agreed that the next step for the subcommittee is to develop competencies for art librarians and visual resources curators.
The committee did not perform a library school survey this year.
Carol discussed the work of the internships subcommittee. She handed out the Proposed Internship Award Guidelines, and the Internship Application. The committee made some suggestions and discussed a few gray areas including receiving credit for the internship, including candidates who are recent graduates, and not including the statement regarding employment eligibility. The committee then discussed how best to continue the efforts of the Internships subcommittee. It was regarding employment eligibility. The committee then discussed how best to continue the efforts of the Internships subcommittee. It was agreed that we would need to form a new subcommittee including members outside of PDC to handle the internship award funds which will be coming from the 25th anniversary scholarship fund.
The efforts of the continuing education subcommittee were the next agenda item discussed. The questionnaire, Continuing Education Instructor Survey, was developed to find out about the continuing education efforts of our members. The goal would be to compile a list or database with information about continuing education and make CE for our members more accessible.
The meeting on April 6 began by reviewing the first meeting for those who were unable to attend. The importance of our committee and the strong support from the board was emphasized.
The internship project is about ready to go, Norma volunteered to continue working on this project. We will hopefully be able to send out applications for awards for Fall 1998. Along with Norma, Bill Bunce will continue to work on this project with help from Betsy Lantz.
A new core curriculum subcommittee was formed to focus on competencies for Art Librarians and Visual Resources Curators. The subcommittee chair will be Laura Schwartz, subcommittee members include Betsy Lantz and Eileen Simmons.
We continued to discuss the efforts of the Continuing Education subcommittee. Goals of the project include creating a database (compiled by information obtained through questionnaire), creating an evaluation system for CE, and assessing the membership for interest. The committee decided to try to coordinate efforts of library school survey and continuing education survey so that efforts of the committee are not duplicated. We also discussed establishing some sort of regional effort of CE classes. Judy Donovan will continue to chair this subcommittee with members Norma Johnson and Ann Lally.
We again revisited the library school survey issue. We decided to continue. Norma suggested that the phone gave her an excellent opportunity to discuss issues with those surveyed. Norma Johnson and Eileen Simmons will work on this subcommittee.
The committee decided not to take on any new projects.
A session topic that was suggested for the 1998 conference is how to host an intern. Proposals are due May 31.
Ann Lally volunteered to be the PDC webmaster.
Ann Lally volunteered to be the LOEX liaison.
Judy Donovan will continue to submit information for Update to Linda Zieper, Update editor.
The University of Texas at Austin