Present: Bregman, Gabbard, Peck Learned (Outgoing Board Liaison), Reed,
Shipe, Sorensen (Incoming Board Liaison), Whiteside (Chair).
Absent: Mary Clare Altenhofen, Katie Keller.
Observers: Kathy Corcoran (Standards Committee Liaison), Liz Harter, Carol Terry.
1. Welcome was extended to the new members who were able to be present.
2. Whiteside reminded everyone of this year's sessions sponsored by Collection Development - Ask ARLIS 1 - Copyright, Development & Collection Development; Session 5 - Publish and Perish
3. Projects in Progress
Collection Development Policy Statements - Lee Sorensen, Barbara Polowy, and Pam Krupansky have submitted a proposal to the Publications Committee. Publications has accepted the proposal with some minor modifications. Policy statements are to be solicited from a variety of library types (museum, academic, visual resources collections, public, etc.) and will be offered as representative statements. There will be no annotations or analysis of the statements. They will be provided for those seeking samples for art and architecture libraries. As Sorensen and Polowy have new ARLIS/NA commitments and have left the committee, Whiteside and Bregman agreed to take the project over.
Out of Print Dealer's Directory - there was no progress to report. Gabbard and Keller have agreed to work on this during the coming year with Reed.
Collection Development Web Page - Whiteside began a very simple page during the winter. Suggestions for adding to the page: existing Collection Development Standards document; links to purchasers of used books (i.e. USBE) (Strategic Plan action item 81); link to the AASL page of core architectural periodicals; Whiteside will investigate to see if a core periodicals list for art exists; will also investigate ARLIS/NA Occasional Paper #4 to see if the "Core Collection" information should be added to the web page.
Foreign Art Book Price Trends - Susan Craig began compiling material for this project last year, but has left the committee. Paula Gabbard offered to work with someone on this, if they will take the lead. Discussion centered around the usefulness of this information being accessible on the Web, rather than trying to publish it in hard copy.
4. Strategic Plan revisited
* action item no. 72 - develop guidelines and techniques for identifying and evaluating, acquiring (linking) and publicizing holdings of materials; includes issues of maintaining and updating web sites as useful portions of a library's collection.
The committee interpreted this as a method whereby one could find information on how to acquire and evaluate web sites. We thought this might be an interesting session topic for the 1998 Philadelphia conference. After our meeting, Shipe mentioned that the topic came up in the Cataloging Section meeting and the Reference Section meeting; the topic also came up in the Visual Resources Division meeting. Shipe offered to contact people from these various groups to see if a joint session might work.
* action item no. 74 - identify, assess and report on cooperative collection
After some discussion about the best way to approach this, it was decided that an article, or a series of articles in Art Documentation might the best way to disseminate this information. Peck Learned is going to pursue this in her role as co-editor of Art Documentation.
* action item no.80 - establish communications links and working affiliations
with art and image information suppliers.
The committee felt that it had begun that process, the first step being Session 5 offered at the San Antonio conference.
* action item no. 81 - assess needs and feasibility for, and report on, gifts
and exchanges network for non-serial publications; establish guidelines and
procedures as needed.
See information under Web page. The committee will try to address this through the use of the Collection Development Web page.
5. Collection Development Standards - a sub-committee of Collection Development met on Monday, April 7th to discuss the possibility of updating the current collection development standards document published as Occasional Paper #2 in 1983. The group is taking the existing document and will update it. Portions of the document have been given to individuals to work on, with a deadline of September, when they will be brought together. The goal is to have something in draft form by the 1998 conference.
6. Budget issues
There are no impending needs for budget consideration. Any budget needs for Shipe1s session proposal will be submitted with the session proposal by May 31st. Whiteside will check with the Publications Committee regarding the Collection Development Policies Statements publication.
7. A reminder that program proposals for the Philadelphia conference in 1998 are due by May 31st. Peck Learned stressed the need to include visual resources in any program proposals submitted, especially since the 1998 conference will meet in conjunction with VRA.
Harvard Graduate School of Design