As a member of ARLIS/NA you will become part of North America's largest and most dynamic network of art information professionals. Join now to take advantage of the Society's programming and publications, professional development opportunities, networking resources, and forums for thought-provoking discourse. For a more personal glimpse at the benefits of membership, take a look at "What Our Members Are Saying."
How to Join
You can join ARLIS/NA in a variety of ways--just choose the method that's easiest for you.
To request a printed copy of the membership brochure, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 414 908-4954 ext. 116
For additional information about benefits of membership in ARLIS/NA, contact ARLIS/NA Headquarters.
Top of Page
As an ARLIS/NA Member, you will enjoy:
- Opportunities for participation with fellow professionals.
The Society's structure and activities encourage participation at all levels of the organization.
- The Executive Board, consisting of member volunteers elected as officers (President, Past President, Vice-President/President-Elect, Treasurer, Secretary, and Liaisons) serve as the chief policy-making body. Each elected officer also serves as liaison to committees and working groups that are drawn from the membership.
- Committees are chaired by members appointed by the President and charged with specific responsibilities relating to the fulfillment of the Society's mission and goals.
- Divisions, Sections, and Special Interest Groups represent subgroups of the membership united by function or special interest, and their activities are conducted for the enhancement of resources, services, and awareness relating to their special focus.
- Members appointed by the Executive Board serve as liaisons to maintain communication and collaboration with related arts and information organizations, including the international Federation of Library Associations (IFLA), American Library Association (ALA), Museum Computer Network (MCN) and College Art Association (CAA).
- Chapters provide a means of participating in Society activities and programs at the local level. Chapter and regional meetings are held throughout the year to focus on area resources and local experts on a variety of relevant topics.
- An open line of communication with fellow professionals via ARLIS-L, the Society's moderated online discussion group for the exchange and dissemination of information of vital interest to the members.
- The opportunity to apply for awards. ARLIS/NA recognizes the value of excellence in professional service, publishing, and original research by bestowing numerous awards and scholarships.
An active publications program disseminates valuable information among the membership and to those in related fields, and provides opportunities for members to edit and publish.
- The ARLIS/NA website has the latest news, job postings, and announcements. It includes many links to professional development tools and is updated regularly. The online Members Database and Administrative Documents offer quick access to the Society's bylaws, leadership, and members' contact information as well as institutional and geographic indexes.
- Art Documentation appears twice yearly and features substantial articles on issues of interest to art information specialists (e.g. historiography, copyright, digital imaging, intellectual access, database design and construction, interdisciplinary sources) plus in-depth reviews. All members receive a complimentary subscription.
- ARLIS/NA Reviews provides expert evaluations of new publications throughout the year in an online format.
- The Occasional Papers Series features longer essays on more specialized topics. Titles in this series include: "The Library and the Accreditation Process in Design Disciplines", "Library Instruction for Students in Design Disciplines", and "Collection Development Policies for Art Libraries and Visual Resource Collections".
- Career Resources:
The annual conference featuring guest speakers, panel discussions, workshops, and informal colloquia brings art information experts together for fruitful discussion. Exhibits by publishers, book dealers, and suppliers of electronic data and visual materials highlight the latest in products and services.
The annual Summer Educational Institute jointly sponsored by ARLIS/NA and the Visual Resources Association Foundation.
Access to job postings on ARLIS-L and the website; internship programs, and a full program of webinars and hosted chats.
Advocacy and Collaboration:
Broad professional involvement with other organizations and projects allows ARLIS/NA to keep its members informed of innovations in the art information field and to speak for the profession on issues such as technological development, intellectual property rights, and cataloging standards.
ARLIS/NA actively seeks relationships with other arts and information organizations to further the goals of art information professionals. The Society maintains formal affiliations with many organizations worldwide
and holds joint programs with the College of Art Association and the Visual Resources Association.
Top of Page
Member Categories & Annual Dues
- Individuals - $120
- Introductory - $90 (1 year limit)
- Retired/Unemployed - $60
- Students - $50 (3 year limit)
NOTE: Membership subscriptions may be cancelled within 30 days of application
receipt for full refund. Please contact email@example.com for further information.
What Your Membership Includes
- Discounted conference rates
- Free membership in Divisions, Sections and Special Interest Groups
- Subscription to Art Documentation
- Access to the Members Only section of the ARLIS/NA website and the online member directory
Top of Page