Project Archivist-The Los Angeles County Museum of Art
The Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA) seeks an experienced archivist to manage and expand the institutional archives program for the museum. The Project Archivist is a full-time, two-year position funded by a grant from the Getty Foundation. The successful candidate will report to the Head Librarian.
- Review and complete assessment and appraisal of archival materials according to professional standards.
- Assess and maintain archival guidelines, policies and procedures.
- Develop retention guidelines for museum-wide use.
- Implement a plan for the arrangement and description of museum records in a manner consistent with standard professional practices.
- Process and create finding aids for priority collections to make them accessible to the public.
- Facilitate online posting of finding aids.
- Collaborate with library staff in contributing original cataloging of archival records to OCLC.
- Recognize and respond to immediate conservation needs discovered. during the appraisal process and determine short and long-term storage plans.
- Provide information for reports to the granting agency.
- Masters degree in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program with a concentration or specialization in archival management and/or archival certification.
- Background in Art History, Museum Studies, or related field preferred.
- Strong project management skills.
- Minimum of three to five years experience processing archives and preparing finding aids.
- Strong working and theoretical knowledge of archival management, arrangement and description.
- Familiarity with MARC, AACR2r, LCSH, DACS, EAD and Archivist Toolkit.
- Excellent organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of preservation practices.
Ability to lift and move materials weighing 40-45 lbs.
For consideration, please submit a resume to:
Los Angeles County Museum of Art
Human Resources Department
5905 Wilshire Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90036
Fax: (323) 857-4720
Or via our online application system at: