Cataloging Librarian (Temporary)
The School of Visual Arts - New York
DATE AVAILABLE: June/July 2009
REPORTS TO: Director, Visual Arts Library
WORK SCHEDULE: Late June/early July 2009-December 23, 2009
Flexible hours, either full-time or part-time
POSITION OVERVIEW: The Catalog Librarian (Temporary) will catalog and classify new materials for the Visual Arts Library collection; manage the daily cataloging workflow of the Technical Services Department; and perform other departmental duties as required by supervision.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Original and copy cataloging of monographs and serials in both print and non-print formats (sound and video recordings, electronic resources, etc.) in accordance with standard national guidelines. Performs authority maintenance and subject analysis.
- Assists in all phases of local database cleanup: non-standard records for special materials such as exhibition catalogs, comic books, film scripts, theses, etc.
- In charge of authority control, including materials cataloged by paraprofessional staff.
- Responsible for checking, correcting, or revising the work of paraprofessionals, as necessary.
- Light database maintenance, as needed.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor.
- MLS required (ALA-accredited).
- Minimum of 2 years original cataloging experience in an academic or research environment.
- Demonstrated experience in the cataloging of non-print materials, including electronic resources.
- In-depth knowledge of AACR2, LCRI, LCC, LCSH and MARC.
- Experience with OCLC.
- Experience with ExLibris Voyager.
- Supervisory experience, preferably within a technical services setting.
- Art subject cataloging experience preferred.
SALARY: $25 - $30 per hour
School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City is an established leader and innovator in the education of artists. From its inception in 1947, the faculty has been comprised of professionals working in the arts and art-related fields. SVA provides an environment that nurtures creativity, inventiveness and experimentation, enabling students to develop a strong sense of identity and a clear direction of purpose.
Find out what itís like to work at SVA. Visit www.sva.edu/workingatsva
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com.
Please indicate your preference for a full-time or part-time schedule.
No walk-ins or phone calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.