The Walker Librarian in addition to managing all aspects of the Library and Archives will direct the conceptualization, planning, and implementation for the library's automation, digitization, and online capabilities. The Librarian will provide innovative leadership and recommendations to an internal advisory committee on the visioning for a comprehensive and up-to-date research library.
Other duties will include:
- Provide expertise in developing programs for effective and innovative delivery of collections and services to staff, researchers, and tour guides.
- Develop a long-term book acquisitions strategy that bridges both the highlights and gaps in our collection of twentieth and twenty-first century art history and critical theory resources.
- Develop annual library budget and authorize expenditures.
- Acquire books by nationally known book artists and artists represented in the Walker's collection.
- 5+ years of increasingly responsible post-MLS library experience required preferably within an arts library setting.
- Master's degree in accredited library or information science program required with an undergraduate degree in an arts discipline preferred.
- Leadership experience, knowledge, and fluency in the technologies shaping the fields of library, archives, collections management and access required.
- Must possess strong organizational and project management skills to effectively develop plans, set goals, prioritize, and meet deadlines.
- The ability to provide leadership in the innovative effective use of emerging technologies is essential. Working knowledge of AACR2, LCSH, LC classifications and MARC required.
- Experience cataloging unique items i.e. artist books as well as cataloging experience with OCLC is essential.
- Strong reference skills in print and electronic media and familiarity with cataloging systems and collection management software and/or retroactive library conversion a plus.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and managerial skills necessary to administer staff and a contemporary research based library program required.
Salary commensurate with experience/knowledge; excellent benefits offered.
Applications preferred by Thursday, January 19, 2012
For consideration, email a letter of interest, resume, desired salary, and the names of 3 professional references as MS Word or PDF attachments to email@example.com. No phone calls please.