Annual ARLIS/NA Conference
St. Louis Post-Conference Executive Board Meeting
March 26, 2002
Present: Elizabeth Clarke, Executive Director; Norine Duncan, Secretary; Ted Goodman, Past President; Paula Hardin, South Reg. Rep.; Phil Heagy, Treasurer; Ursula Kolmstetter, Midwest Reg. Rep.; Irene Puchalski, Canadian Reg. Rep. [until 3:30]; Daniel Starr, President; Kay Teel, West Reg. Rep.; Allen Townsend, Vice-President/President-Elect. Laurie Whitehill Chong, Northeast Reg. Rep.
Also attending: Vicky Roper, Headquarters staff member
Present to report on St. Louis conference: Margaret Webster, Deborah Ultan
Present to report on Baltimore conference planning: Joan Stahl, Linda Tompkins-Baldwin
Guests: Lorna Corbetta-Noyes (Chair, AWSAB), Gregg Most (Chair, Development)
CALL TO ORDER 8:35 a.m.
Roberts Rules of Order (Duncan)
Robert’s Rules of Order will be observed.
4B. Include discussion of Chapter Success Book.
8Iiv. Change “Directory” to “Handbook.”
One hour for lunch on our own. Puchalski to leave at afternoon break.
St. Louis Wrap-Up (Webster, Ultan, Roper, Clarke)
Comments have been favorable. The local chapter was small, so a large burden of the work was done by the committee chairs. Sharing the work with VRA helped in this respect. AV was handled well, and hotel support was excellent. A few last-minute speaker changes occurred. Roper reported 19 on-site registrations, only 6 no shows, and 23 membership renewals. The silent auction brought in $6,055.50. The conference committee and Headquarters staff worked well together. Information about conference planning will be passed on (including LA suggestions) to Baltimore committee. It’s difficult to figure out what exhibitors actually want; we can’t satisfy all of them all of the time. Some want to be closed for lunch, for instance, but others don’t. Total hours of open exhibits were reduced, in response to requests by exhibitors in previous years, but some exhibitors didn’t even seem to notice. Susan Rawlyk of Headquarters will send out conference statistics to Leadership-L. Margaret Webster will keep conference planning listserv active for a while to facilitate the transition to Baltimore planning. Next year we should schedule opportunities to thank the conference committee publicly during the conference.
Motion #1: Unanimously expressed thanks to the Conference Planning Committee members below and their volunteers: Marianne Cavanaugh, Deborah Ultan, Margaret Webster, and Betha Whitlow. [This motion was actually made and voted on at the end of agenda item 5.]
Action item 31. Goodman to thank Conference Committee on ARLIS-L.
Joint proceedings (Goodman)
Papers for Proceedings will be sent to John Taormina and will be edited by Goodman (for ARLIS/NA) and Wendy Holden (for VRA); all content, including complete papers when supplied, will be disseminated on the ARLIS/NA web site and in the VRA Bulletin. Some papers may be published later in more finished form in Art Documentation. A joint publication was not in the budget of either organization.
Action item 32. Goodman to follow up on Conference Proceedings, sending out reminders on both VRA and ARLIS/NA listservs.
Baltimore Progress Report (Tompkins, Stahl)
The committee has already met several times, will meet again in April; they worked hard during this conference. The hotel in Baltimore has a great location, and many sites will be within walking distance (disabled to be accommodated). Programming is underway. The format for submissions has changed, to open up the process. Calls for papers will be issued. Scheduling all the business meetings remains problematic; possibly business meetings will merge with discussion groups (2 hours total). Or meetings may be attached to relevant sessions. There may be an open session for generating conference ideas. We may use self-scheduling in available rooms. Committee may need to give options and negotiate with groups about meeting time.
The manual was used for St. Louis, and Baltimore committee members have already read it, but it needs updating. Greater involvement of Headquarters has changed the way some things are done. We need to begin thinking about a site for 2006, probably in the Midwest. It would be great to have competition among chapters to be the conference site. The upcoming conference could be promoted in the exhibits—another way to inform without interrupting meetings.
Action item 33. Starr to look into compiling a database of sessions and speakers from the past (of interest especially to the Professional Development Committee).
Action item 34. Goodman to organize meeting for planning New York conference.
Action item 35. Clarke to go to Las Vegas if we decide to commit to it.
Action item 36. Clarke to draw up a “job description” for the role of the local chapter in planning conferences. (Midyear)
Action item 37. Goodman to look at the Conference Planning Manual to assess the need to update it, and to consult with conference committee.
Guests arrived: Lorna Corbetta-Noyes (Chair, AWSAB), Gregg Most (Chair, Development)
Leslie Preston, Chair of Membership Committee, was invited but could not attend.
Product Promotion Plan (Clarke)
Clarke reviewed background: ideas discussed in four previous Board meetings. Proposal is a framework for further discussion of return for money (both ways, for ARLIS/NA and its sponsors). We have a comprehensive product to offer, with national scope, to replace the piecemeal approach now in use. This change could be labor-saving for both the Society and its sponsors, and would help both to budget and plan ahead. It would be attractive particularly to larger vendors. Clarke presented a survey of financial returns from advertising in Art Documentation, the conference program, Update, Jobnet, conference sponsorship (total $53,000).
Proposed program would be available in 3 levels (numbers are just suggestions)—platinum ($15,000, 5 contributors), gold ($10,000, 7 contributors), silver ($5,000, 10 contributors). Each level has its own package of benefits. Examples: advertisements in Art Documentation and/or Update and/or final conference program, logo on the AWS and/or correspondence, introduction of conference speaker, brochure in conference kit, complimentary registration to attend conference, table of 8 at banquet. We need to do a better job with signage (logos) to acknowledge sponsorship. We also need to find ways to give them exposure throughout the year. We need to decide how we can display logos on the AWS. Travel awards and research awards might also be included in the benefit packages. We might need to provide greater distinction among the levels. Sponsors might be given first right of refusal to renew for subsequent year. Hardin suggested that we set a financial goal that we think is achievable, and derive the sponsorship levels from that.
Conceive as corporate membership. Continue advertising sales outside packages. Keep record of donor business cycles. Plan to implement for next year (2003). Change name to Corporate Membership Initiative.
Action item 38. Board to revise and approve Clarke’s Product Promotion Plan at Midyear, for implementation in 2003. Ad hoc subcommittee on corporate membership to consist of Gregg Most, Townsend, Goodman, Heagy, and Starr. Clarke to prepare draft by July 1. Starr to inform Leslie Preston.
Corbetta-Noyes and Most departed.
Policy Manual revision
Board discussed the usefulness of keeping former policies (crossed out) in the document. Decision was made to send the manual as it is to Archives at Syracuse University, and to start over by posting on the web only the current policy. Currently, the policy is broken down into so many linked segments, it is very cumbersome to print.
Action item 39. Goodman to oversee revision of Policy Manual, assign sections.
Action item 40. Whitehill Chong and Kolmstetter to update the Chapter Success Book.
Starr affirmed openness, stated that he intended to involve whole Board in decision making.
Database of Former Committee Members
Goal is to demonstrate the openness of the Society. Database would aid in appointment of new chairs. Data could be gathered from past handbooks and updated from membership forms.
Action item 41. Hardin to compile database of former committee members, to be turned over to Headquarters for maintenance.
An ‘ask the board’ session at 2003 conference (Starr)
Hardin suggested an exhibit booth with Board members scheduled there.
Action item 42. Teel and Goodman to check at their institutions the possibility of hosting future online board meetings.
Based on our June experience, we know to prepare motions carefully ahead of time, share them by e-mail, and discuss if necessary.
Action item 43. Duncan to edit transcripts of online meetings to preserve a record of motions passed to be sent to the Archives at Syracuse.
[Motion #1. See agenda item 3A.]
ORGANIZATION OF ARLIS/NA—part 1
These are the oldest components of the organization, last examined in 1988. Currently the groups have an overlap of interests. Historically, there were budgets for these groups, and mailings targeted groups (before e-mail and listservs). Conference proposals were generated from the groups. Now we are inclining toward focusing on the conference content rather than time slots for the bureaucratic structure. Why not say that anyone can propose a discussion group? Also, if there were another time to discuss conference planning issues, business meetings could be much shorter than they are now. Moderators are still needed. One possibility is to let all groups be on an equal footing, rather than trying to distinguish between Divisions, Sections, and Round Tables.
Committees also overlap with the structures above. Some carry out business of society; some are different, project-oriented. Some committees with continuing functions are designated as ad hoc.
Action item 44. Regional reps to contact chapter chairs about interest in scheduling meeting space at the conference for regional meetings; if positive response, to submit proposal to conference planners. Chapter business meetings might follow.
Discussion of ARLIS/NA structure to be continued as agenda item 9.
DSRT BUSINESS MEETING REPORTS
Concern expressed about how to engage new members and get them involved in committee work. Some members are required to justify institutional funding by active participation in the work of the Society. Interests overlap with Professional Development Committee: tenure, professional status, recruitment, outreach. No issues for the Board at this time.
Many issues overlap with Academic Division. Interest in internships overlaps with the Professional Development Committee. The division is working with NASAD, to give them questions to ask when conducting accreditation evaluations (Carol Terry and Claire Eike). Accreditation is also the topic of a new Occasional Paper proposal (which may evolve into another format).
Business quickly dealt with. Meeting is useful to make connections. Not much discussion of program proposals.
Very small attendance. Moderator continuing to serve.
Tradition has evolved in which the incoming Moderator serves for a year as Vice-Moderator, and as Update editor. The outgoing Moderator recruits someone to nominate for the Vice-Moderator role. The outgoing Moderator moves on to chair VRAC. This has provided continuity and a connection between the Division and related committee work. There is a long tradition of discussion group meetings at the conference. It is also a forum for sharing information about projects.
About 40 in attendance. Election quickly done, followed by reports. Conference proposals discussed.
Combined discussion and business.
Almost exclusively discussion of program and tour possibilities for Baltimore conference.
Time spent on conference related ideas for Baltimore and New York.
Abrams attended. Moderator was absent, resigned for next year; no election. Program ideas were discussed. Question was asked, should this group merge with the Diversity Committee?
Small group, including 3 new members. Becky Simmons, Chair. Whitehill Chong suggested that the group interested in book arts might join this group.
Small but committed. They feel that there are concrete benefits to meeting. They need time to share Swap lists. Cara List will be Co-moderator this year.
Space Planners Round Table (Townsend)
Business meeting held, moderator elected. Time spent discussing articles for publication and program ideas. Questions arose about web posting procedure.
More than 70 people attended. Followed by Inter-Library Loan discussion group. Members exchanged business cards, intending to follow up on discussion of library instruction. This group also elects a Vice-Moderator/Update editor who becomes Moderator the following year. Time was spent discussing topics for Baltimore conference. Some members would like to continue meeting to have a focused discussion of reference books.
Projects are underway to create a core list of quality web sites, and a bibliography of standard reference books for those who are new to art librarianship.
Attended by about 10 people, 3 new. Time spent on proposals for conferences in Baltimore and New York. The committee also discussed ongoing projects: a biographical directory of women artists, and an update of a web site on women photographers.
Having so many groups encourages new groups to form when new interests emerge. The DSRTs have in common the facilitation of discussion and conference planning. Perhaps we should have them all be Discussion Groups, with their basis in conference proposals. Ac hoc committees could form out of discussion groups, or issues could be referred to standing committees. This would encourage grassroots leadership at the Discussion Group level. People who want to become leaders within the Society would begin here, move on to work on committees. Board members would be recruited from Society members who have leadership experience at the committee level. Perhaps implementation can be initiated through conference planning.
Clarke suggested considering conference planning in tracks, and the Board discussed briefly the pros and cons. Would we sacrifice some of the “cross-pollination” among groups that occurs now, with our less rigidly structured schedule?
How many committees should we have? How large should they be? Would it be better to have fewer committees, with subcommittees? Would this provide greater flexibility?
Should we limit committees to those that do Society’s work? Other committees arising from Discussion Groups could be ad hoc, with definite termination dates.
COMMITTEE MEETING REPORTS
Charge: To formulate ARLIS/NA positions on specific cataloging problems…and to communicate these positions to ALA’s CC:DA and the USMARC Advisory Group (MARBI), or to the Library of Congress.
Meeting at this conference was a joint meeting with VRA. Writing guide to good practice for exhibition catalogs. May work with VRA to compile a list of terms of attribution.
Charge: To monitor trends which affect collection development in libraries and visual resources collections; to report on collection development issues of interest to the ARLIS/NA membership; to support collaborative collection development initiatives; to communicate the interests and priorities of Society members to publishers and suppliers.
Business meeting (short) held prior to discussion group. Topic planned in advance, vendors invited to attend and present information about their web sites. Committee carries out projects. Web site hosted by Harvard; plan to update it every summer.
To coordinate all the fundraising activities of the Society; to develop
expertise in the area of financial planning and fundraising; and to recommend
specific fundraising ventures and the means to implement them.
Chair is Gregg Most. Many Board members attended the meeting.
Database is a prospect list in WordPerfect (several years of history of contacts). Continuity of record keeping is important to the Society. Therefore, it is desirable that the database be maintained at Headquarters rather than by the committee.
Action item 45. Jill Patrick to forward to Headquarters the updated electronic version (WordPerfect) of Development Committee’s prospect list. Headquarters to convert to a database and to solicit updates from Gregg Most, Development Committee chair, next year after Baltimore conference.
Starr briefly introduced the product marketing promotion plan to the committee.
A general discussion by the Board took place last year. Clarke would participate on contract basis, her fee being a percentage of sales; could be for new sources only, or existing sources as well. We will continue this year with Development Committee handling fundraising. By the end of this year, we need to decide whether the committee should continue to do the work of fundraising, or to hand it off to Clarke and to function in an advisory role. If the Board decides to go forward with the corporate sponsorship, the question of Clarke’s role in fundraising should be revisited at the Midyear meeting.
Action item 46. Board to discuss again the issue of Clarke’s role in development. (Midyear)
Committee has a $600 budget for it. The question is how and when to distribute—as a separate mailing, with handbook, conference registration form, and/or on the AWS. The committee acknowledged donor card is part of the overall graphic identity package of ARLIS/NA. Text has been composed, but the card is yet to be designed. If it were to go out with the Handbook, it would need to be done soon (within a month).
Committee should have an advisory role on conference fundraising, not necessarily be directly involved. Conference speakers’ fund now has $13,000; goal is to reach $35,000 by the end of the Baltimore conference; not likely at current pace. ARLIS/NA should receive about $3,000 of the proceeds of the Silent Auction.
Committee expressed desire to request $1,000 to gather legal advice on the tax status of charitable donations in Canada. Clarke reiterated that a tax deduction for a donation to ARLIS/NA is not possible for Canadians because the Society is not registered in Canada. Clarke was unsure of the cost to incorporate in Canada, if ARLIS/NA were to pursue that option.
Charge: To administer the ARLIS/NA Distinguished Service Award and any other special achievement awards which my be established…
Nov. 1 deadline set for packets to be sent; ready to post on AWS. Needs to be a standing committee; although an award is not given every year, the committee needs to be in place to solicit and review nominations.
Charge: To develop and oversee strategies for advancing diversity in art information fields by promoting broad participation in the profession and the Society, and by supporting fully inclusive collections….
Attended by 10 people besides the co-chairs. Interest in updating and maintaining the committee web site. Activities are project-oriented. Discussed overlap of interest with Membership Committee.
Charge: To establish criteria and select from current North American art publications those materials which exhibit the highest standards of content and production; to publicize the awards…and to arrange for the presentation of the award at the annual conference.
Concern expressed about decline in quality of the certificate. Publisher contact information needs updating every 2 or 3 years. Committee does its own mailings (330 publishers). This desire to do everything themselves needs to be weighed against imposing a graphic identity through Headquarters. Gold stickers requested for winner, existing stock (black-and-white) to be used for honorable mentions. Eventually should conform to graphic identity.
Charge: To publicize the award which recognizes excellence in a paper or project prepared by a graduate student on a topic relevant to art librarianship or visual resources curatorship….
Chair is Paula Gabbard. At the meeting, set the calendar and reviewed procedures. 89 institutions were contacted for faculty names in 2001. Board thanked for expanding benefits for the award winner.
Canadian Chapter functions as the committee for selecting the Melva Dwyer Award recipient. Costs are assumed by ARLIS/NA. Headquarters can make desired changes in the certificate; it will be translated for next year to be bilingual.
Charge: To promote the goals of the Society on an international basis; among other ways, by serving as liaison between ARLIS/NA and other ARLIS organizations worldwide and IFLA….
9 people present; energetic group. Overseas membership fee is an additional $25; may have discouraged prospective members. Committee discussed having members outside the U.S. pay in their own currencies. Will work with Membership Committee and NARC.
Suggested having an International Social; may propose for Baltimore conference. Mentors have been assigned. It would be helpful if IRC could be informed by Travel Awards committee of international registrants who receive travel awards.
Charge: To coordinate the Society’s program for membership retention and promotion, making recommendations to the Executive Board and executing the decisions of the Executive Board.
Chair is Leslie Preston. Committee will focus attention this year on overseas members.
Plan to work with chapters to update information.
Committee wants Handbook information to be available to members on a secure section of the AWS. The Board discussed the question of why we include home addresses, which raise confidentiality issues. Next year, we plan to obtain positive consent to include home addresses. We will consider publishing only one address per person. We still need information about institutional affiliation, if a person chooses to use a home address. Membership form will need to be modified.
Charge: The Nominating Committee shall submit to the Executive Board a list of nominees consisting of the single most qualified candidate for each position to be filled.
Action item 47. Starr and Duncan to oversee mailing of bylaws change ballot and supporting materials from Headquarters. (May)
Charge: To facilitate communication and cooperation between ARLIS/NA and other North American art information organizations in areas of mutual interest.
Continuing chair is Paula Epstein. Goodman reminded them that their activities need more visibility, on ARLIS-L etc. A possible new affiliation is with the Association of Moving Images Archives. List of affiliates with ARLIS/NA liaison’s name, to be posted on web, dates of conferences. Would it make sense for this group to be more closely connected with Membership or Professional Development? Consideration was given, in the recent past, to disbanding this committee, but they are now in revitalization mode.
Charge: To investigate ideas for continuing education at the chapter and regional level and develop alternative mechanisms and methods: assemble information on career opportunities in the field of art and visual resources librarianship ... develop and recommend standards for art librarianship to library schools... create standards and develop guidelines and evaluation methods for workshops, seminars, symposia and panels.
11 people attended the meeting. More publicity is needed for the Rare Book School internship; they will have something ready for fall mailing. The Art and Design School Library Division has shared their list of libraries willing to host internships. The PDC would like to expand this list to include other types of libraries and is also interested in writing guidelines. They asked about increasing the amount of the internship award, and suggested that chapters might supplement it. They share an interest with RISS in standard competencies for librarians.
Charge: To advise the Executive Board and the membership on governmental activities affecting the professional interests of ARLIS/NA and the fulfillment of its mission….
Committee met with VRA counterpart (25 persons total). Discussed several legislative issues. Also discussed membership education. Joint publication with VRA is being considered.
Charge: To provide oversight for the Society’s publications programs, to create a forum for communication among the Society’s editorial staff, to make recommendations to the Executive Board concerning the Society’s publication policies and procedures, and to serve as the search committee for vacant editorial positions.
Action item 48. Kolmstetter to request the Publications Committee draft language for position descriptions for the copy editor and indexer of Art Documentation.
Book reviews are now on the AWS; Joan Stahl wants to make them searchable.
Committee would like to post the table of contents of Art Documentation on the AWS, have it open to all, full text available to members only. Full text is available already through Wilson’s database Library Literature, for which we receive royalties.
Action item 49. Heagy and Goodman to look for agreement with Library Literature regarding royalties for Art Documentation articles.
Action item 50. Starr to ask North American Relations Committee to ask ALA and SLA if they will sell our publications.
Proposal for Occasional Paper 14 on art and design school accreditation will instead be issued as list of accrediting agencies, 4-page brochure and perhaps on AWS as well.
Action item 51. Daniel to inform Art Documentation editors that to accommodate Tom Jacoby’s proposal for a joint publication with Art Libraries Journal, all that needs to be done is to revise the Art Documentation Contributors’ Guidelines (4E).
Charge: To stimulate research and its reporting in art documentation and related fields; to oversee administration of grants from the ARLIS/NA research fund; to administer an award that recognizes outstanding research and publication by members.
Committee approved of the Board’s idea of asking Wilson to allow extra funds from their donation to go to the Conference Speakers Fund. $500 from Worldwide was unused because there were not enough applicants; Worldwide expects return.
Action item 52. All liaisons to committees to notify chairs not to talk to sponsors about financial information related to awards, etc.
The committee discussed changing names to distinguish grants from awards: Wilson is grant funding for research in progress, Worldwide awards are for completed publications. Names would be changed to: H. W. Wilson Foundation Research Grant, Worldwide Books Award for Publication, Worldwide Books Award for Electronic Resources.
After this year, a domestic travel award for conference attendance will not be funded.
The Board has not made a decision to accept RLG’s offer to fund another travel award for a Middle Eastern librarian.
Action item 53. Travel Awards to be discussed at Midyear, in the context of the corporate membership initiative.
Certification of completion of workshop would be provided by the hosting institution.
For the corporate membership initiative, it will be important to have accurate information about hits on the AWS. Only partial data was available in 2001.
Action item 54. Clarke to inform Derek Crosley that the board is interested in web statistics.
The Committee will wait for Board directives, but they are eager to follow through on issues arising from public/private division of the site, and from corporate sponsorship.
9. ORGANIZATION OF ARLIS/NA—part 2
continuation of agenda item number 6
Due to lack of time, this item was skipped.
Puchalski left the meeting.
During the coming year, the Board needs to consider raising the dues for individual members.
Action item 55. Starr to ask Leslie Preston for recommendation on dues increase, and Heagy to figure the cost of maintaining a member.
Action item 56. Board to consider how to recover credit card fees. (Midyear)
Action item 57. Heagy, with collaboration of Trudy Jacoby, to revise the section of the Policy Manual dealing with society finances, specifically the Finance Advisory Committee. (Midyear)
Action item 58. Goodman to find text(s) explaining purpose of designated funds, and McKenzie to prepare a draft statement of how much we should be spending from the designated funds.
Action item 59. Starr to ask Jonathan Franklin to post 2002 summary budget and auditor’s statement on the AWS.
Graphic identity costs—how much can we afford? The Board needs to prioritize. It will be used on the Handbook, membership brochure, and donor card, all of which are immediate needs. There will be savings if Update is not printed and mailed. Also, $5000 was budgeted for purchase of a projector that was not needed. The Board decided to fund the membership brochure, the folder, the Handbook, and the donor card.
Action item 60. Clarke to post figures on Board-L re graphic identity costs.
Action item 61. Clarke also to get cost estimate on Art Doc cover redesign.
The committee met Friday. Need for continuity emphasized. Work of this committee is essentially a Board responsibility. In rewriting the investment policy, forbidden instruments (individual stocks) should be specified. Transfers have been made: $100,000 from Canadian bank money market to Schwab to serve as a reserve fund, ½ year operating cost, goal $150K; earnings will be about the same. $86,000 remains in the money market fund in our Canadian bank. Only when reserve fund is fully funded should the committee consider investment for higher return.
NEW BUSINESS [4:15-4:45]
Action item 62. Duncan to solicit individual photos of Board members for the AWS contacts page.
Director and Max Marmor met with Ted, Daniel, two VRA representatives. All agreed that need for a lead organization, as stated in pre-conference e-mail to Goodman, was not a real issue. If ArtSTOR wants advice about collection development, they can ask either or both organizations. In the case of ARLIS/NA, the Collection Development Committee and/or VRAC can respond. ArtSTOR could directly fund attendance of members at committee meetings. We may need to charge our committees with this responsibility after hearing back from ArtSTOR.
Goodman offered to attend but did not find out time and place of meeting in time. No one from the Board was invited; no Board member attended.
Action item 63. Goodman to encourage ethnic caucus to work with the Membership Committee and ARLIS/Texas-Mexico.
It needs to be divided into public and private parts—Board only, member only, and public. As a test, implement Board access only to financial information and Board meeting minutes. Membership should have access to general financial statements, annual reports, management calendar, committee membership and minutes, and membership directory. Contact information for leadership should be accessible by the public. If Board minutes aren’t accessible to members online, then the Secretary must exercise care to inform the membership of Board activities and decisions through Update.
Action item 64. Clarke to inform Derek Crosley that the management calendar will be maintained on the AWS. Roper to post management calendar on AWS. (asap)
Action item 65. Starr to talk to Kerri Scannell about using ARLIS-L to promote membership.
According to the bylaws, a regional representative is required to resign if moving out of region represented. Hardin, who is leaving North Carolina for Ohio, must therefore resign her position on the Board. Starr will make an interim appointment.
Action item 66. Hardin to initiate discussion on ARLIS-L to assess interest in a bylaws change that would not require, as now, that a regional rep resign if moving out of the region represented.
Motion #2: Thanked Paula Hardin, South Regional Representative, for her service. (8 yes, 1 not present)
The Board is making progress in addressing Goal IV: To strengthen and increase the effectiveness of the Society’s activities and operations.
A. Provide an efficient organizational structure that is responsive to the membership.
B. Maintain and expand the Society’s sound financial structure.
C. Develop a program to cultivate leaders for the Society.
D. Address the need to expand and engage a culturally diverse membership.
E. Enhance communication between the Society’s leadership and membership.
As leaders, Board members need to do more than simply respond to what members say they want, such as more business meetings. The President’s report on the AWS outlines the accomplishments to date (items I, II, and III).
MID-YEAR BOARD MEETING
The Board will meet August 10-11 in New York City. The meeting site may be at Bard Graduate Center, within walking distance or a short bus ride of the hotel.
Action item 67. Board members to bring ideas on committee structure to Midyear meeting.
Action item 68. Starr to contact Nancy Pistorius to ask her impressions after observing part of our meeting.
The meeting adjourned at 5:00 p.m.
at the 2002 Midyear meeting, 8/10/2002