LIBRARIES SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
August 10 &
Bard Graduate Center
38 West 86th Street, New York City
Elizabeth Clarke, Executive Director; Norine Duncan, Secretary; Ted Goodman,
Past President; Phil Heagy, Treasurer; Ursula Kolmstetter, Midwest Reg. Rep.;
Irene Puchalski, Canadian Reg. Rep.; Laura Schwartz, South Reg. Rep.; Daniel
Starr, President; Kay Teel, West Reg. Rep.; Allen Townsend,
Vice-President/President-Elect. Laurie Whitehill Chong, Northeast Reg. Rep.
attending: Vicky Roper, Headquarters staff member
August 10, 9:00 – 5:30
CALL TO ORDER (Starr)
Meeting called to order.
Robert’s Rules of Order (Duncan)
Rules of order will be observed.
Meal arrangements (Starr)
will be on our own.
Agenda changes (Starr)
motion 3 (re: Amicus brief) under agenda item 3.
will be included at appropriate places.
Starr to thank Greta Earnest for hosting the midyear meeting of the Executive
Board at the Bard Graduate Center.
APPROVAL OF MINUTES (Starr)
The Board ratified the e-mail motion submitted by Goodman on May 7, 2002, and approved by e-mail.
Board unanimously accepted the recommendation of the Public Policy Committee and
signed onto the Amicus Brief being filed by the AALL (American Association of
Law Libraries) supporting the Harvard OpenLaw Institute’s constitutional
challenge to the Copyright Term Extension Act. Furthermore, the Board authorized
the expenditure of $200 to sign onto the Brief and authorized the Public Policy
Committee to initiate the sign-on procedure, with the understanding that Daniel
Starr, President, will be the signee.
to the Post-conference minutes were suggested by Kolmstetter (re: Publications
Committee, 20 not 30 year index to Art
Documentation) and by Whitehill Chong (re: Professional Development
Committee, internships list).
2002 Pre-conference minutes were accepted as submitted, and the 2002
Post-conference minutes were accepted as amended.
HEADQUARTERS AND MANAGEMENT
Headquarters report (Clarke)
midyear Headquarters report has been posted to ARLIS-L. Details will come out
during this meeting.
Corporate identity (Clarke)
is to be incorporated at every opportunity. Reaction to Handbook has been
will also be used for membership brochure, stationery, business cards. If we can
afford production of a folder, Clarke recommends it for mailing out information
about the Society. Michael of Ion Communications has talked with Tom Jacoby
about how to impose the logo on Art
Documentation. It could be on the title page. The Art Documentation editors would like to change graphics according to
theme. Any change should wait till spring issue 2003. The AWS can be used to
save cost of producing a publications brochure, which in print is impossible to
keep up to date. The logo should be offered to chapter web sites. When it is
time to revise the membership form, it should incorporate the logo as well.
is to be renewed in 2003.
year (2001), additional executive director services were paid with the hotel
commission fee. CAMS splits commission with ARLIS/NA; some management companies
would keep all. Hotel does not pay the commission unless asked. Under the
proposed contract, this arrangement would continue, dependent on financial
success of conferences. Hotel commission is not mentioned in the contract
because it is not guaranteed. Clarke will add to the contract information that
specifies conference support by CAMS--managing registration desk, etc.(all that
the local chapter is NOT responsible for). Guidelines in the Policy Manual are
methodology, not outcomes.
requests a 2.5 % increase annually to cover inflation of cost. Membership growth
could entail more time, increased cost.
will continue to develop strategic partnerships, for example Derek Crosley and
Ion Communications, and will keep re-evaluating costs, comparing them to other
recommends review of the contract by a lawyer, which she says is worth the
investment of $500/$1000. Clarke’s company has a name change pending, under
dispute by Ontario government.
evaluation of the executive director and contract renewal should actually be an
ongoing process, with annual review.
Clarke to revise contract to specify HQ support for conferences. ASAP
Townsend to contact ARLIS/NA’s lawyer to request that he review the contract
with Clarke Associates Management Services.
Board to approve contract for renewal in March 2003. Pre-conference meeting
Policy manual (Goodman)
has begun the process of Policy Manual revision, reassembling the manual into a
single Word document, putting in links to the AWS. He is deleting the
crossed-out parts, which will go to Archives at Syracuse. He expects to be done
by November. The Policy Manual has not been reviewed since c.1996 and uses
outdated terminology. Goodman says he needs to move text around to have it make
sense. He will focus on outcomes, not procedures. Consultations with legal
counsel should be recorded in the manual. Goodman will need help with some
Goodman to continue revision of Policy Manual and to send out by e-mail sections
for review by appropriate persons. Finish revision by December 31.
in the Policy Manual is Section T, about 10 pages of text from the oral history
Board members to consider what should be done with existing oral histories of
the Society. Also, should the oral history program continue, and if so, how?
Conference Planning Manual (Goodman)
has begun revision. Previously, like the Policy Manual, this document also
emphasized process rather than outcomes. Goodman is defining the roles of
everyone involved. He has sent a draft to Marianne Cavanaugh and Margaret
Webster, St. Louis conference co-chairs, for comment.
Goodman to revise Conference Planning Manual with the input of Margaret Webster
and Marianne Cavanaugh and consultation with the Baltimore conference chairs.
Clarke to review the section on Headquarters role in the Conference Planning
Manual and suggest revisions.
Heagy to review the Treasurer section of the Conference Planning Manual and
Board discussed how this document relates to reports from conference chairs. Do
we need both? Is the manual too detailed? We agreed that the manual is good to
have to show to potential chapter hosts. It needs to be continually updated with
recommendations from each conference.
CPAC vs. Conference Committee responsibilities (Starr)
of each are unclear. We want to encourage innovation, local flavor. But there is
a compelling need for continuity to ensure that past lessons are learned. The
conference must be profitable for the good of the Society. Some local committees
want to do more than they can handle; they don’t realize all the steps
involved. The relationship and interaction of the committee with Headquarters
has to be comfortable for the conference to run smoothly.
now consists of the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Regional
Representative, and the conference committee. The Board decided on the following
changes: The Past President should attend. Instead of the Regional
Representative, the Chair of the host chapter should attend.
Whitehill Chong and Kolmstetter to revise Chapter Success Book to reflect change
in attendance at CPAC meeting: Chair of host chapter will be included instead of
Goodman to change Policy Manual and Conference Planning Manual to reflect change
in attendance at CPAC meeting: Chair of host chapter will be included instead of
Regional Rep. Past President will attend.
expenses came in under budget. Income is $22,000 higher than estimated, half
from hotel commission, half from sponsorship. Hotel commission was not in the
conference budget, will be split 50/50 between CAMS and ARLIS/NA.
Bonnie James (HQ) to post $20,000 conference expense for management fee,
reducing profit from joint conference.
result of the joint conference over next few years should be monitored. Already
there are joint meetings at the local level. Valuable lessons were learned by
Division of profit (Heagy)
is owed $15,488.43 plus baseline $7,250.
Heagy to authorize check for $10K to be sent to VRA now, balance to follow when
books are closed.
reported that he is communicating well with Sue Rawlyk on conference matters.
conference budget is conservative. Headquarters has negotiated with the hotel
that discount bookings will be at the conference rate. There will be no cost for
an internet room, as the Wyndham by Request program will provide free e-mail
service from rooms.
item 82: Sue
Rawlyk (HQ) to clarify Wyndham by Request program restrictions and post to
ARLIS-L. Before Sept. 1
briefly summarized CPAC meeting for Board members who did not attend.
Non-ARLIS/NA meetings (Starr)
will be charged for meeting rooms used by other groups that are not part of
is based on 500 attendees and is intended to be profitable even without
fundraising. Movie Night proceeds will benefit the Speakers Fund. Exhibitors’
fee was raised from $700 to $850; there will be fewer (63) because of space
Registration fee (Goodman)
St. Louis the registration fee was $145. It will be $175 for Baltimore, and the
same for New York the following year.
New York 2004 (Goodman)
hotel contract has been signed with the Roosevelt. Dates will be March 31 -
April 7, 2004. Rate will be $185 single or double. The conference committee will
have an organizational meeting Oct. 10. Many ideas have been suggested for
tours. Margaret Webster has agreed to serve as program chair.
Las Vegas and Houston have been proposed as conference sites. The need for
meeting rooms can’t be met by any Las Vegas hotel, except at an exorbitant
price. There is local support in Houston, and Jon Evans (Texas-Mexico Chapter
Chair) has been consulted. Several good responses have been received from
Houston hotels, but only the Adams Mark Hotel offers free meeting rooms.
Unfortunately, the location is not good--25 minutes from the museum area. The
Radisson is too expensive. No response has come yet from the Warwick; perhaps it
can’t accommodate our numbers. It would be a better location; the museum is
across the street. We also need to check on whether it has sufficient meeting
rooms. The Board intends to work with Houston for 2005, if necessary considering
other dates. Meanwhile, an open call should go out to chapters to find a
conference site for 2006.
Clarke to contact the Warwick Hotel in Houston to determine if it has rooms and
meeting rooms enough to serve as the conference hotel for 2005. If necessary,
Clarke to investigate other possible hotels or meeting spaces in Houston.
Schwarz to inform the Texas/Mexico chapter of the Board’s interest in
entertaining a proposal to host the 2005 conference in Houston, to be submitted
by Nov. 1.
Teel to inform the Mountain West chapter of the Board’s decision not to accept
their invitation to host the 2005 conference in Las Vegas. Starr to follow up in
Day has compiled a document in MS Word listing sessions from past conferences,
1993-present. It could be useful in planning sessions for future conferences.
Starr to contact Ross Day to put him in touch with Jonathan Franklin about
making his document on past conference sessions available on the AWS.
COMMITTEES (Board Liaisons)
proposed By-laws amendment to Article IX. Nominations and Elections was approved
in June by a vote of 239 to 18. The changes have been made on the AWS and in the
accordance with the amended By-laws, the Board approved by consensus the slate
of officers put forward by the Nominating Committee, chaired by Roger Lawson.
The Slate is ready to be posted on ARLIS-L and the AWS.
Starr to inform the Nominating Committee that the slate should be posted as soon
as possible on ARLIS-L and the AWS, with a call for nominations from the floor.
there are qualified nominations from the floor, an election will be held. There
is a 30-day period for nominations.
is no need for a new charge to the Nominating Committee.
Professional Development Committee (Whitehill Chong)
Robertson Award (Starr)
guidelines for the award were posted on the AWS, but the Rare Book School was
not informed. Terry Belanger of the RBS pointed out that the language is not
clear and needs revision. He proposed changes; ARLIS responded, and we now are
waiting for his response to ours.
Whitehill Chong to revise guidelines for the Robertson Award after consultation
with Terry Belanger of the Rare Book School.
Educational programs (Whitehill Chong)
Heather Ball has put Jack Robertson’s list of continuing education resources on the PDC web site, giving credit to Jack (http://www.lib.vt.edu/info/ARLIS/resources.html). It includes some VR links.
Whitehill Chong to ask Heather Ball to consult the chair of VRAC (Mary
Wassermann) for suggestions of web sites relevant to visual resources
Unlimited was contacted; it does not hold copyright. Rather, ARLIS/NA does. B.
J. Irvine (the author) does not object to revision or reprinting. She suggested
that the Board appoint a task force to update it with more information on
technology, perhaps as a supplement? Libraries Unlimited would be willing to
publish a supplement on technology standards. The reprint could be made
available in PDF format, accessible from the AWS.
Kolmstetter to ask Publications Committee to consult with B. J. Irvine about
finding a person to write a technology supplement to the Facility Standards, and
if necessary, to issue a call on ARLIS-L.
proposed budget is realistic, based on figures from OP #13. There was discussion
about format: brochure vs. web site. The proposal was tentatively approved,
pending final approval during discussion of the 2003 budget.
problem persists that Update is free
to members, but at substantial cost to the Society. The plan for next year is to
recover costs by imposing an extra charge for hard copy, to cover printing and
Committee wants to look into new software. The new one tried did not permit
editing, and the font was judged hard to read.
Kolmstetter to tell committee to continue to work with Vicky Roper and Jonathan
Franklin, seeking alternate software for ARLIS/NA
Update, while continuing with status
Art Documentation cumulative index
Publications Committee is looking for an indexer to produce a cumulative index
for the past 20 years.
Kolmstetter to have the Publications Committee post a message on ARLIS-L
soliciting applications for indexer of the 20-year Index to Art
Documentation, after they write a job description.
completed, the cumulative index will be posted on the members’ section of the
Publications brochure (Starr)
consensus is that we don’t need one. The list of titles available is easier to
keep up to date on the AWS.
Travel Awards (Goodman)
than a year ago, RLG offered to fund a travel award for a Middle Eastern
librarian ($1,000). The Board agreed to accept the offer.
Goodman to inform RLG that Board accepted its offer to sponsor a Middle Eastern
is a desire to have an award for a first-time attendee, but so far there is no
funding at the national level, although some chapters have funds available to
Visual Resources Advisory (Duncan)
task force has recently decided to defer the first workshop until summer 2004.
proposed budget is a break-even budget. Costs may rise by waiting a year.
Decisions are needed on how to divide profit, cover credit card fees. Most
importantly, fundraising is necessary. The Development Committee can advise the
task force, with VRAC as intermediary.
Duncan to have information posted on the AWS about the ARLIS/NA-VRA Joint
Education Task Force.
Duncan to advise VRAC to have the task force consult with the Development
Committee on fundraising for the workshop at Rice University.
is seeking advice from ARLIS/NA and VRA to determine the collections to
digitize. A committee has been established, to which both organizations have
recommended individuals as members. Funding will be directly from the Mellon
International Relations (Puchalski)
proposed social event for international attendees is going to happen at the
conference in Baltimore, 1.5 hours, including the business meeting. The
committee will work with the Membership Committee on encouraging foreign
Development Committee Prospect List conversion/maintenance (Roper)
has an electronic copy of the prospect list. It could be placed on the
Board-only portion of the AWS.
committee is attempting outreach, using an ALA list for contacts. A letter has
been drafted to send to library schools.
committee plans to run the list of ARLIS/NY members against the national list
and encourage members to join ARLIS/NA where the lists don’t overlap. (The
Membership Committee Chair is a member of this chapter and has access to its
list of members.)
to other organizations could be more active in promoting ARLIS/NA membership.
Job descriptions for liaisons exist in the Policy Manual, but ARLIS/NA is not
being kept informed to the desired extent. Not all liaisons are attending
ORGANIZATIONAL RESTRUCTURING—COMMITTEES (Starr)
a result of a brainstorming session, the Board decided to dissolve ad
hoc committees, EXCEPT: The Distinguished Service Award Committee will
become a standing committee; VRAC will be reconstituted as a task force with a
new charge to study the outcomes of the joint conference with VRA; the Diversity
Committee will become a task force of the Membership Committee; and the Research
Committee will become a subcommittee of a standing committee, soon to be
organized, that will oversee all awards. Chairs will be thanked for their
service and asked to finish work in progress and to inform the Board of any ad
hoc needs. Dissolution of the ad hoc
committees will take effect at the Baltimore conference.
Charges of the standing committees will be reviewed by Townsend before the Baltimore pre-conference meeting.
A decision on handling travel awards will be deferred pending analysis by a subcommittee that will study the feasibility of consolidating responsibilities for awards.
When a proposal for the
overall restructuring of the Society is complete, it will be presented in Update
and submitted to the membership for a vote.
Starr to contact ad hoc committee
chairs to convey Board’s decision on each, to keep liaisons informed, and to
post to ARLIS-L the rationale for reorganizing the Society.
Following Starr’s initial notification of committee chairs, Board liaisons to
contact chairs of ad hoc committees to
respond to their questions and concerns, to ask them to complete all projects in
process, and to thank them for their service to the Society.
Townsend to look at the charges of standing committees and propose revisions.
Townsend and Teel to study the administration of all awards and to submit to the
Board a proposal for consolidating those responsibilities.
called to order at 9:07.
revenue for 2002 is ahead of budget, but $15,000 is to be turned over to VRA.
revenue is on target, despite variance within categories. Subscribers have been
counted as members, but should not be. Thus there is some disjunction between
the budget and membership figures.
in money market funds are yielding low returns (not recorded till cashed in).
total non-conference advertising (including collection of past due) is also
close to projection. An advertisement paid for by Thames & Hudson never
appeared in Update. Jobnet is a good
source of revenue, but we lose it when members post free job announcements to
Roper to place Thames & Hudson ad in online version of Update,
Starr to post a message to ARLIS-L explaining how to use Jobnet.
Roper to send to Board and Publications Committee the list of advertisers for
suggestion of additions.
budget presently shows a surplus of $7,000 instead of a prior deficit of
$47,000, due to a more realistic conference budget.
Kolmstetter to inform Publications Committee that the Board did not approve the
$100 stipend requested for creating an annual index to Art
Documentation, but that the stipend for the 20-year index was approved at
$600 rather than $500.
Heagy to budget for Board conference support: complimentary registration fees
for 14 persons, plus $3,000 for hotel rooms.
Duncan to inform VRAC that $500 for Joint Educational Task Force was removed
from the 2003 budget due to postponement of the workshop at Rice University.
Townsend to advise the Academic Division to apply for a grant from the Research
Awards Committee to fund its proposed survey.
Teel and Schwartz to inform their chapters that funding requests for proposed
joint meetings were approved by the Board.
need to be aware of the fees we pay when members renew or register using a
Heagy to follow up on about 10 bad debts, hoping to collect about $1,000.
new charge has been posted on the AWS: http://arlisna.org/arlismembers/policy/c22.html
To maintain continuing surveillance over all income and expenditures, funds, and
investments of the Society with the goal of steadily increasing the assets while
providing funds for operating expenses; to develop and propose strategy for
long-term financial growth and stability; to develop expertise in the area of
financial planning; to review and evaluate financial growth strategies; to
assemble and disseminate information about the Society's finances through
has followed through on old debts, and she regularly contacts advertisers.
Everyone on the list was called in January, but few were ready to commit to
placing advertisements. A brochure was sent out to potential advertisers. Until
the economy improves, we need alternative strategies, such as the sponsorship
possible approach would be to outsource advertising sales. Clarke met in June
with a representative of Naylor Publications, which has experience with museums.
She will follow up. This company would also like to print our publications.
Individual sponsorship (Heagy, Starr)
presented Gregg Most’s plan for the Society Circle. The Board approved the
concept, referred back to Development for further work. The option of Planned
Giving was raised, but it was agreed that we don’t presently have the
expertise to implement it.
Schwartz to suggest alternative naming scheme to replace “circle.”
Starr to communicate to Gregg Most that the Board approved the concept of his
plan, minus planned giving that we don’t have expertise to implement. Revised
proposal to be ready by Sept. 30.
Corporate sponsorship (Clarke)
presented her plan for corporate sponsorships, with three levels.
stated that implementation may have to be gradual, but that once started, the
idea will catch on. Small fundraising initiatives will be replaced by the larger
plan, or in some cases they can be turned over to local chapters.
Clarke to revise corporate sponsorship proposal to have just two levels, $5,000
and $10,000. Include attendance at reception, exhibit booth. Package to be ready
to include in exhibitors’ prospectus, mailed in the fall.
should be the benefits at each level? Should sponsors get a free booth at
plan is to begin to sell packages in the fall, at the time the exhibitors’
prospectus is mailed, preceding telephone contacts.. Follow through in person at
conference in Baltimore.
Development Committee to follow up on corporate sponsorship mailing with
Conference fundraising (Starr)
implementation of corporate sponsorship, current practice continues. Fundraising
will begin in September. In kind contributions will be acknowledged separately.
Chapter fundraising (Schwartz)
Regional Reps to notify chapters that all chapter fundraising has to go through
Development Committee. Chapters are not to solicit funds directly from donors.
Wilson funds (Starr)
have not heard yet if we can keep the excess award donation from Wilson for the
Publications fund (income from sales of publications) is not being used for any
other purpose, and it does not accurately reflect actual profits from
publications, since expenses have never been deducted. Therefore, Heagy
recommends that the Board transfer its assets to the Speakers fund.
Heagy to move funds from Publications designated fund to fully capitalize
Speakers fund. Fundraising for this purpose to continue.
Townsend to inform Linda Tompkins-Baldwin of Board action on Speakers fund,
specifically that $1,000 will be available for non-ARLIS speaker(s) at the
funds are a bookkeeping convention; funds may be redistributed by the Board. The
designated fund called Publications holds income from publications. There are
also designated funds for Speakers and Research. The latter can be renamed the
Internship Fund, interest to be used to fund grants for interns. The Anniversary
fund holds funds raised by the 25th anniversary activities. The
latter can be renamed the ARLIS/NA Travel Grant Fund, and we can fundraise for
it for that purpose. Goodman has no memory of restrictions on use of designated
funds and does not think the issue is addressed in the Policy Manual.
Goodman to check for any restrictions on use of designated funds.
Heagy to rename anniversary fund as ARLIS/NA Travel Grant Fund, to be used to
continue the domestic travel award that lacks a sponsor. Fundraising to
Heagy to rename the research fun as the ARLIS/NA Internship Fund.
Heagy and Goodman to document rationale for Board’s disposition of designated
6Ciii. and 8A.
Membership statistics (Roper)
we have added new student members, and there were some renewals following the
issue of the Handbook.
Membership dues (Heagy)
has calculated the cost per member at $204. The individual sponsorship at $250
will include membership. Things we would like to do, as yet not funded, are to
have a reserve fund for operating expenses, and to fund travel by liaisons. It
is time for a new dues structure, the aim being rationalization and
item 120: Task force on dues structure (Puchalski, Townsend, Heagy, and
Leslie Preston) to propose a revised membership dues structure to be voted on at
the membership meeting in Baltimore, or by mail afterwards.
Privacy issues (Clarke)
Do we have the right to ask for a member’s income bracket? There are stringent laws in both the U.S. and Canada, including a new privacy act in Canada. It requires informing individuals where personal information will be used. We need positive agreement from members to publish their information, i.e. to put personal information in the Handbook or on the AWS. They need to sign or initial to give their consent. We could use click through technology to obtain consent online.
Clarke to consult with ARLIS/NA’s lawyer and Derek Crosley about how to
reconcile privacy concerns with our desire to have online renewals.
Membership form (Starr, Roper)
membership brochure will have no form. There will be a reference to the web
site, where there will be a form for joining online and a PDF form for printing
and mailing. The Board discussed the convenience and desirability, however, of
having a mailed form with pre-printed personal information, so that only changes
need to be made. In any case, the Board wants to achieve a stable form that will
not need to be revised frequently.
Roper and Clarke to draft membership form so that it will be most useful for
producing the handbook and building the database, and to submit to the Board for
review and approval. (Charge $20 for mailing hardcopy Update;
separate Subscriber from membership and include in the Publications section;
delete donations section; include all affiliated societies.)
chairs need to be informed of new members in their areas.
Roper to periodically send new members’ names to the appropriate chapter
Translation (Puchalski, Starr)
membership brochure and form need to be translated into French for Canadians.
Two members from Quebec have volunteered. It would likewise be desirable to have
translation done in Spanish for ARLIS/Texas-Mexico.
Puchalski to inform the 2 volunteers from ARLIS/Canada that they have the
Board’s approval to proceed with translating the membership form and brochure
into French. (French version to state that all business of ARLIS/NA is conducted
Schwartz to seek volunteer(s) to translate membership form and brochure into
Spanish. (Spanish version to state that all business of ARLIS/NA is conducted in
ARLIS-L (Clarke, Starr)
Scannell monitors new subscribers for several months. She strongly opposes
restricting access to members only. An open listserv, she argues, provides
visibility for the Society, and can be a recruitment tool.
reiterated her concern about the Society’s liability in keeping the listserv
suggestion was made that a disclaimer could be sent out in a monthly message. In
that message, members could be encouraged to use the members-only portion of the
AWS for personal postings.
Starr to discuss with Kerri Scannell the feasibility of sending out a monthly
message reminding members that the listserv is open and suggesting that they use
the members only section of the web site (when available) for posting personal
messages such as calls for roommates at the conference.
Handbook 2002 (Roper, Goodman)
new Handbook includes additions and corrections from cards and e-mails.
Headquarters has received many compliments on it.
Handbook 2003 (Starr)
year’s Handbook may be shorter if more people provide just one address. The
Board decided that a single index is sufficient--geographical (country, state,
city), institution, individual names. Institutional members should be included
in the general index.
ARLIS/NA WEB SITE (Clarke, Starr)
for a search engine is in the budget. What will be the costs of redesigning the
AWS? How shall we establish editorial review? The Board decided to start by
taking what exists and dividing it into areas for Board, membership, and the
Clarke to ask Derek Crosley to implement Board only area of web site as soon as
possible. Also to post a notice in October designating the area that will become
members-only as of January 1, 2003.
The new logo will be used to establish corporate identity on the AWS. AWSAB and J. Franklin have been communicating
Schwartz to ask AWSAB for suggestions on designing the members and public areas
of the web site. Which pages to get rid of? Inform of Goodman’s work on Policy
Manual and Conference Planning Manual. Keep Publications Committee informed and
cc: Starr and Kolmstetter as well as Betsy Peck Learned on important
communications. Deadline October 1. Also, plan for membership directory online
after January 1.
Kolmstetter to inform Betsy Peck Learned of Board’s charge to AWSAB, and to
tell her that the Board will reconsider next year giving the Publications
Committee editorial control over the AWS.
For art librarians (Clarke)
presented her proposal for recognizing achievement of members, based on a model
used in other professions. Follow-up discussion will be held on Board-L. The
opinion of the Professional Development Committee will be sought. When ready to
move forward on this, it may be advisable to set up a retreat, possibly engage
an outside facilitator.
Board to discuss Clarke’s proposal for certification of art librarians via
Whitehill Chong to send Clarke’s proposal for certification of art librarians
to the Professional Development Committee for comment.
For art museums (Kolmstetter, Teel)
presented a summary of the Denver art museum incident. Past efforts of ARLIS/NA
to approach the American Association of Museums about issues of professionalism
have been futile. The Board decided to delegate this job to a Society liaison.
Kolmstetter to refer the Denver art museum issue to Carol Pardo, liaison to AAM,
for follow up, or to Paula Epstein, chair of NARC, if Pardo is unwilling or
unable to accept this responsibility.
CHAPTERS (Regional Representatives)
of the Mirvish award is insufficient. It is the only award specifically for
Canadians, however. Puchalski feels that it would send a bad message to cancel
Puchalski to contact Gregg Most about having Marilyn Berger seek additional
funding of the Mirvish award.
Dwyer Award certificate needs to be revised to be bi-lingual.
Puchalski to seek a member of ARLIS/Canada to translate the Dwyer award
certificate into French so that a bi-lingual version can be printed.
Chapter Success Book (Kolmstetter, Whitehill Chong)
and Whitehill Chong have updated links, streamlined officers’ duties, revised
the dues range, and changed fiscal year to calendar year. They will add the
change to CPAC membership (chair of host chapter to attend instead of Regional
Representative). Betsy Peck Learned has reviewed their work. It will be posted
on the AWS.
Kolmstetter and Whitehill Chong to revise the Chapter Success Book to include
the attendance at CPAC of the chair of the host chapter.
Whitehill Chong to send the Chapter Success Book to Jonathan Franklin for
posting on the AWS, and to post to ARLIS-L when it is available.
Legal status (Starr)
need for chapters to incorporate separately has been raised by a letter from the
IRS asking for EINs for chapters.
Townsend to consult the ARLIS/NA attorney about the need for chapters to
incorporate separately to comply with IRS regulations.
Schwartz to fax to Townsend the Texas chapter IRS forms.
DIVISIONS, SECTIONS, ROUNDTABLES (Townsend)
Sullivan has requested the creation of a Round Table for Classical Archaeology.
29, passed by the 2001-2002 Executive Board, placed a moratorium on forming new
Townsend to inform David Sullivan of the moratorium on forming new round tables,
and to suggest that the group interested in Classical Archaeology self-schedule
at the Baltimore conference.
ORGANIZATIONAL RESTRUCTURING—DSRT (Starr)
DSRT structure is no longer responsive to membership needs. As mandated by the
Strategic Plan, the Board plans to devise a new structure. Conference sessions
can now be proposed by anyone; DSRTs do not need to exist to generate conference
seems to be increasing interest in discussion groups. Should DSRTs convert to
discussion groups? The new structure should be open, invite participation,
promote contact with leadership.
Division and one Round Table have so few members that their continued existence
is not justified. The Board has received communication from Jeffrey Stephens,
chair of the Public Library Division, requesting that it be dissolved.
Board unanimously approved the recommendation of the moderator of the Public
Library Division (Jeffrey Stephens) for dissolution, and expressed its thanks
for his service.
Board unanimously approved the dissolution of the Indigenous Art & Culture
Round Table due to lack of members.
Townsend to inform the Public Library Division
(Jeffrey Stephens) and the Indigenous Art & Culture Round Table (Ross
Day) that the Board has dissolved them.
Townsend to gather information on DSRT activities from conference reports and HQ
records, especially numbers of participants. Board to review and take action, if
warranted, at the pre-conference meeting in Baltimore.
REVIEW OPEN ACTION ITEMS (Starr)
Starr to update Action Items and drop those that are done.
Board unanimously approved the 2003 budget as submitted by Phil Heagy,
ADJOURN 5:00 (Starr)