CALL TO ORDER (Goodman) 8:58 a.m.
Present: Leslie Abrams, West Regional Representative; Laurie Whitehill Chong, Northeast Regional Representative; Elizabeth Clarke, Clarke Association Management Services (CAMS), Executive Director; Norine Duncan, Secretary; Carole Goldsmith, Canadian Representative; Ted Goodman, President; Paula Hardin, South Regional Representative; Trudy Jacoby, Treasurer; Ursula Kolmstetter, Midwest Regional Representative; Karen McKenzie, Past President; Vicky Roper, CAMS, Association Administrator; Daniel Starr, Vice President/President Elect.
Also present for items 2-3, conference co-chairs for both Los Angeles and St. Louis conferences.
2A. Robert’s Rules of Order
This meeting will follow Robert’s Rules of Order.
2B. Agenda Changes
Will be 1 hour, on our own.
3A. Los Angeles Wrap-Up
Lorraine Perrotta and Susan Flanagan (Co-Chairs, Local Arrangements) and Amy Navratil Ciccone and Nancy Norris (Co-Chairs, Program) presented the Los Angeles conference report. There was confusion about fundraising: funds raised locally went for general conference support, i.e. could not be designated by local people for specific purposes, and local chapter felt it necessary to fundraise for specific events. Ending event, funded by local chapter, was successful, helped to encourage people to stay for tours. ARLIS could charge a fee for an ending event, or get a sponsor. Sponsors for sessions need not cover the cost, but have them contribute simply to encourage giving. Actual costs are hard to estimate; good idea to estimate high. The conference fee is relatively low; long-term, we need to consider this, reconsider “what you get” for that basic fee. Clarke mentioned that there are ways to budget for conferences that are different: break-even analysis, include expected profit as a fixed cost. Equipment rentals were extremely expensive. We could save by purchasing our own equipment, to be kept at Headquarters. A three-year timeline for conference committee would be very useful, including tasks and due dates. Printed products should have earlier due dates, especially the exhibitors’ prospectus. The latter might be sent out as early as June, especially if there is desire to do “Tips of the Trade” presentations. Prospectus doesn’t have to be as elaborate as it is. Besides listserv, the committee met monthly from 6 months out, and from 3 to 4 months out, co-chairs held weekly conference calls. Workshops were successful, 2 sold out, but 2 cancelled. Inevitably there seem to be problems with workshops held offsite; people do not read instructions, expect to be led or transported. If workshops are not held in the hotel, arrange for transportation or a guide. Evaluation forms were not standard; some complaints were received that a form was difficult to fill out. Publicity for St. Louis might start earlier, since the city itself isn’t the draw that LA is. Time frame for making proposals was too short, so that some promising ideas couldn’t be chosen for lack of time to flesh them out. Session building did occur; it is one of the jobs of program planners. It would have been preferable to have poster sessions in exhibits area, but overall they were a success, and were left up after the presentation times.
Action item: Susan Flanagan to provide list of 25 “lost” exhibitors
to St. Louis committee (potential exhibitors who received the prospectus
Action item: McKenzie and Goodman to thank LA conference leaders.
3B. St. Louis Progress Report
Marianne Cavanaugh (Local Arrangements) and Margaret Webster (Program) presented an update on planning for next year’s joint conference with VRA, with a handout. ARLIS will have the entire hotel. There will be more space for exhibits. The “New Technology Round-Up” from VRA will be incorporated into exhibits, with repeating sessions possible. If we have a Silent Auction again, we should have it in the exhibit area. More half-day tours will be offered. It was suggested that costs for equipment appear on the back of the proposal form, so that those who are making proposals can judge if the cost is justifiable for their needs. Preliminary program should be less elaborate. It could be a flyer, with more complete information on the web. VRA preliminary program might serve as a model. For LA, the web site program was not updated except for major changes, but some members expected it to be current.
Action item: Clarke to look into programming conference software
to avoid scheduling conflicts.
Action item: Clarke to provide template for conference evaluation form.
Headquarters should handle the business of dealing with exhibitors. Continuity is very important. The role of the local chair for exhibits should be to suggest additional names. There should be particular emphasis on VR vendors for St. Louis. We could give one free table/booth to a book artist vendor, in order to encourage participation. Silent Auction in LA was a success; tally before expenses was $7,909.50 (more than last year). It hasn’t been decided yet whether to repeat it in St. Louis.
Action item: Goodman to apologize to Hennessy & Ingalls.
Action item: Clarke to provide 30 additional names obtained from an exhibitor.
Jacoby and Goodman met with Ann Whiteside of VRA and agreed on a 60/40 formula (ARLIS/VRA) for dividing conference income, omitting exhibit income. Budget will have two columns, ARLIS and VRA.
Action item: Jacoby to have final budget for LA conference, with actual expenditures, before CPAC meeting, if possible. June.
3C. IFLA 2001 Pre-Conference
Action item: Jacoby to resolve funding for security and lighting
cost for Fogg reception.
Also to inform Hugh Wilburn that some exhibitors want to contribute.
4. DSRT BUSINESS MEETING REPORTS
Board discussed why there are so many groups. Should we streamline? Groups for where we work, what we do, what we are most interested in. The proliferation of groups creates problems scheduling time for meetings at conferences. One idea is to include discussion time in business meeting time slots. Each group can allocate time for different purposes within the time slot given. Could we do conference planning at another time, instead of using so much time in the business meetings? Could some of it be done before the conference, instead of during (propose and discuss ideas online)? Another possibility is to have all Round Tables meet at the same time in one room.
Action item: Duncan to send list of new moderators and Update
column editors to Franklin for posting on the AWS. Cc: Roper.
Action item: Clarke to look into software to help prevent scheduling conflicts for Board members. It is best if member who is liaison is the one to attend the meeting.
4A. Academic Library Division
Concern about Handbook, should include more information about committees.
4B. Art & Design School Library Division
No concerns or questions. Will continue sharing with each other statistics for accreditation.
4C. Museum Library Division
No report available.
Action item: Starr to check on concerns of Museum Library Division.
4D. Public Library Division
No concerns or questions.
4E. Visual Resources Division
Record representation on present Board.
4F. Architecture Section
Concern about scheduling conflicts.
4G. Cataloging Section
Would like a current list of members from Headquarters.
4H. Decorative Arts Round Table
Meeting well attended and lots of good ideas for conference programming. Would like a list of their members. Have content they would like to put on the AWS.
4I. Gay & Lesbian Interests Round Table
May propose a VR program for the St. Louis conference.
4J. Indigenous Art & Culture Round Table
Would like a current list of members from Headquarters.
4K. New Art Round Table
Only a few people. Need to come up with stronger conference proposal. Might think about merging with another group.
Action item: Starr to inform the chair and past chair, who want to continue, that they should increase membership or consider merging with another group.
4L. Serials Round Table
Members are concerned about conference proposals being turned down; they are also not pleased with timing of their discussion session. Suggested re-submitting proposals, changing format to Ask ARLIS, combining ideas perhaps with another group.
4M. Space Planners Round Table
Would like to post content to web site. Workshop was popular, not all were able to get in.
If we knew how many were left out, we could decide how soon to offer it again.
4N. Reference & Information Services Section
Business meeting was awkward; no agenda. Other part of meeting was interesting, with
4O. Women & Art Round Table
17 attendees, focused and enthusiastic. They have a web site.
5. COMMITTEE MEETING REPORTS
Action item: Jacoby to revise committee budget request form to
assign mailing deadlines when requests are prepared
Action item: Clarke, in consultation with Jacoby, to add committee budget request deadlines to Management Calendar.
Action item: All Board liaisons to suggest to committee chairs setting up a Management Calendar for their committees, to pass on to successors.
Action item: Clarke to work toward coordinating mailings for cost savings. Assign deadlines and add to Management Calendar.
5A. Cataloging Advisory
No questions or concerns.
5B. Collection Development
No questions or concerns.
Discussed timeline during meeting. 2004 target date for raising $35,000 for Conference Speakers Fund. Would like to have re-designed letterhead. Re-design could possibly also include a template that could be used in software by Board members, committees, etc.
Action item: Jacoby and Duncan to follow up on request for VRAC
to see what happened to that request and what needs to be done.
Action item: Clarke to solicit bids from designers for a full-color logo, new letterhead, book award stickers. (Wittenborn, Gerd Muehsam, Melva Dwyer all request new designs.)
5D. Distinguished Service Award
Will review language of Policy Manual section L10, clean up if necessary. Committee hopes to make an award next year.
Concern about web site, would like ARLIS to host it.
Action item: Duncan to inform co-chairs that committee web sites will not be maintained by Headquarters, and that they must either continue to be hosted at Cornell or find an alternate host site.
5F. George Wittenborn
Enthusiastic response from recipients. Record number wished to attend conference.
Action item: Goodman to search for old paper copy of list for
press releases to replace the lost list, and to send it to Headquarters
Action item: McKenzie to contact Sheila Klos, chair, to discuss the possibility of awarding only one award to enhance the prestige.
Action item: McKenzie to contact previous committee chairs to discuss enhancement of the award. Midyear.
5G. Gerd Muehsam
Possibly committee will redefine scope of what can be submitted. Combine with travel award for a student? They would like to redesign the award certificate. Concern about 10 years of material for archives. AWS has policy posted on what to send to archives at Syracuse.
Action item: Duncan to contact archivist at Syracuse to clarify archives policy; also to post it to ARLIS-L.
5H. International Relations
No report available. Concern about publications received from affiliated organizations.
Action item: Clarke to send affiliate publications to Ed Teague, chair, who may use his discretion how to dispose of them.
Most discussion focused on non-renewals. There was no follow-up on them last year.
The Board discussed the possibility of allowing chapter membership without requiring membership in ARLIS/NA. We can consider a Bylaws change to reflect reality.
Action item: Clarke to send list of non-renewals and template
for exit interviews to Leslie Preston, chair. cc: Goldsmith.
Action item: Goldsmith to instruct Leslie Preston to divide up non-renewals among regional representatives, who will call them and conduct exit interviews of persons who do not wish to renew.
Have lists of people to contact.
5K. North American Relations
Members are special, as liaisons to other organizations. Goodman to serve as Board liaison. There are not many issues. Might it be called Affiliate Relations?
Action item: Goodman to consult with Paula Epstein about the name and charge, to consider possible revision. (IFLA affiliate to serve here and on International Relations Committee?)
5L. Professional Development
The Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship will be publicized in the ARLIS/NA Handbook under "Professional Development Awards." It will also be listed on the ARLIS Web Site under "Society Awards," with accompanying guidelines. Terry Belanger will also provide publicity for this award on his Rare Book School web site. Recipients should be announced at the annual conference Convocation along with other award winners. Recipients might also share their experiences with the rest of the Society in an Update article.
Motion #1: Board approved the guidelines for the Robertson Rare Book
School Fellowship as submitted by the Professional Development Committee
and as subsequently amended by the Executive Board [see below].
(8 in favor, 1 not present):
The Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship is an award of tuition waiver for one course at the Rare Book School of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville. The Rare Book School offers short courses during Winter, Spring and Summer sessions in the history of books and printing, and other related topics. Course offerings, schedules, and course application information can be found at the Rare Book School web site at
The Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship is open to anyone who has been an individual member of ARLIS/NA for more than one year. Interested ARLIS/NA members should follow the general guidelines for applying for a course at the Rare Book School. Accompanying the general application, ARLIS/NA members should request, in writing, that they be considered for the Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship.
The recipient of this award will be selected by the Rare Book School Admissions Committee. Once this Committee has selected an applicant or narrowed down the possible recipient list to 2 or 3 people, it should contact ARLIS/NA Headquarters to confirm membership status of these applicants. The confirmed, selected recipient shall then be notified by the Rare Book School Admissions Committee in writing and copies of this notification will be sent also to the ARLIS/NA President and the Chair of the Professional Development Committee.
Action item: Chong to revise language of guidelines for Robertson
Rare Book School Fellowship and submit to Duncan for Minutes.
Action item: Duncan to have Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship guidelines posted on the AWS.
Action item: McKenzie to include Robertson Rare Book School Fellowship guidelines in next Handbook.
Jack Robertson requests that a new web site be substituted for the link to the 1995 list of library schools that is presently linked from the AWS. It is presently in the form of a proposal.
Action item: Chong to send Robertson’s replacement link--“Educational
Training and Opportunities for Arts Information Professionals”-- (when
it is ready) to Jonathan Franklin for the AWS.
Action item: Duncan to suggest to Jack Robertson that more material relevant to Visual Resources be included on his site.
5M. Public Policy
No concerns or questions.
Update will continue in its current electronic format (pdf) and in paper until the end of 2001. In 2002, an alternate electronic version will be created, hopefully with fewer problems for the membership. With this change, we anticipate that more members will opt not to receive the paper version, thus lowering production and mailing costs.
Some concern expressed by members of the committee that the Board is making decisions not to publish based on content. Board may deny approval for publication based on business plan. Should there be other members who are not editors, to provide balance on the committee? Charge does not actually say that the committee makes final decision on what is to be published.
Action item: Abrams to tell committee to present evidence that there is a market for the publication on how to find reviews of new serials; and to suggest that it may be more appropriately disseminated on the web, linked to the AWS.
Two candidates have been interviewed as potential co-editors of Art Documentation.
Action item: McKenzie to contact Tom Jacoby and Kathy Zimon to
receive their decisions on co-editing Art Documentation. April
Action item: Jacoby to consider impact on 2002 budget if Betsy Peck Learned stays until spring 2002 as senior editor; also reimbursement of nominal personal expenses for the two new co-editors.
Action item: Goodman to write a letter of thanks for the new
Worldwide Books award for electronic publications. cc: Jill Patrick.
Action item: Clarke to add December invoicing of award donors to Management Calendar.
Action item: Chong to remind committee to update text for Handbook and the AWS.
Will continue to participate in NISO.
5 members present. Questions were raised about committee charge and reason for existence.
Action item: Hardin to ask Judy Dyki, chair, for suggestions of what the committee can do to justify its continued existence (3 or 4 valid reasons) or how it can continue its activities within other groups. Board to dissolve committee at Midyear if no satisfactory response to this directive.
5R. Travel Awards
Action item: Clarke to send photos to sponsors, also to Jonathan
Franklin for posting on the AWS.
Action item: Goldsmith to advise Kari Horowicz, chair, to draft guidelines for award for new librarian/recent graduate for consideration at Midyear. Aug. 10
5S. Visual Resources Advisory
Wants to move forward with travel award for VR person.
6A. AWS/ AWSAB
ARLIS needs to establish a graphic identity. Look at the big picture: consider the AWS role in attracting revenue. We need to determine the content parameters, and to set up a mechanism for transferring current information to historical. At present, the list of members with e-mail addresses needs updating. The AWS potentially has a lot going on: administrative information, art information content, sharing of member expertise, member services, and history of the Society.
Action item: Hardin to inform committee that Board wants them to think about both design and content. Consider having site partially member only, by password.
6B. Leadership Discussion Lists
Group listservs have received very light use, but are labor-intensive to maintain.
Action item: Duncan to instruct Derek Crosley to discontinue all. Calendars and agendas to be posted to ARLIS-L.
6C. Policy Manual revision
6C1. Task Force Appointment for Sections C & J
Action item: Goodman, Jacoby, and Starr to draft revision of Section J. (Eliminate historical text.) Midyear.
6C2. Bylaws Amendment Motion to Cover Executive Committee and E. C. Minutes
Action item: Duncan to obtain from Blank language he has prepared.
Action item: Executive Committee to discuss all items of 6D and to report to full Board, with further discussion of major issues to follow if necessary. Contract guidelines are on the AWS.
6D1. Clarke Contract and Job Description
6D2. Management Services Document (Job Description)
6D3. Management Calendar
Previously kept by Secretary.
Action item: Clarke to post monthly Management Calendar on ARLIS-L.
Action item: All liaisons to notify Clarke of changes to be made in the Calendar.
ARLIS needs a coherent overall plan for fundraising. We need to look at how we raise money internationally. We should stop depending so heavily on local fundraising. Executive Director would like to have more involvement as fundraiser for the Society. Her compensation could be a percentage of revenues. It takes at least 2 to 3 years to establish relationships with donors.
Action item: Clarke to present in writing her ideas about her role in fundraising. Midyear.
Clarke welcomes legitimate communications from the Board and ARLIS members. Headquarters has an 800 number. Roper will redirect questions as needed.
7A. Continuation on Monday, April 2, 2001 of Agenda Item 8C. of Pre-Conference Board Meeting
Phone call to Schwab was placed by Goodman and Blank immediately after the meeting to verify that Barnett, former broker, was no longer associated with our account. Current signatories are McKenzie, Jacoby, and Clarke. Schwab is faxing a change of signatories form to Goodman at Avery Library.
Action item: Minutes of April 2 meeting to be submitted by Peter
Blank, former Secretary, including the phone call to Schwab as addendum.
Action item: Jacoby to keep the Board informed of the current state of the Schwab account.
7B. Finance Committee
Finance Committee positions are temporarily vacant following release of former members. Goodman will appoint replacements. Grace Reid, former chair, was asked to provide analysis of ARLIS/NA’s stock holdings.
7C. Ad hoc Presidential Committee
Former Presidents, convened by Goodman at the conference in Los Angeles, were helpful in determining that investment policy (section J12 of Policy Manual) had not been followed in recent years. Policy does not support investing in individual stocks.
7D. Future Investment Strategy
Board must decide if stock holdings should be converted to certificates of deposit or other lower risk investments.
7E. Budget Changes
Jacoby will work closely with Headquarters to produce a 2002 budget that accurately reflects real expenditures.
Action item: Jacoby to solicit budget requests before May 31
Action item: All liaisons to remind committee chairs and moderators of this deadline. Mid-May.
Action item: Jacoby and Clarke to investigate how other organizations provide support for board members.
8. BOARD COMMUNICATION
The Board would like to find a method to replace the cumbersome system of e-mail voting on motions. Board has been too involved in day-to-day management of the Society. Much of this work should be and can be assumed by CAMS.
8A. Online Board Meetings
The Board will investigate and test software for holding online board meetings, in order to reduce the heavy e-mail traffic on Board-L. We may have monthly online meetings. Board will try to use Board-L judiciously. Some communications can be direct to an individual, rather than to all.
Action item: Jacoby to investigate Blackboard software (web based)
and test its suitability for online meetings in real time.
Action item: Hardin to investigate NetMeeting, as a backup.
8B. Documents for Board Meetings
Board members are expected to be informed when they assemble for in-person meetings. Documents should be shared in advance on Board-L.
To reduce confusion of each member printing his/her own documents, often duplicated by handouts at the meeting, Clarke will provide printed documents for Board meetings pre- and post-conference, and at midyear, as designated on draft agenda, and as submitted to her by members. If something is late, the appropriate liaison will bring copies for all.
Action item: Clarke to add this duty to Management Calendar.
9. NEW BUSINESS
Subject to further discussion, the Board would like to issue an 8-page supplement containing updates (new members and changes) plus new lists of board members, committee chairs, moderators, and chapter officers. The next full handbook, 2002/3, would not be issued until after March 2002.
Action item: Clarke to inform Board if supplement to Handbook is possible. Also to inform Board of the fields in the membership database.
9B. Equipment for Conferences
Equipment vendors might be approached to fund purchase of equipment to be used at conferences. ARLIS would save over rental fees, and vendor would receive publicity.
10. MIDYEAR BOARD MEETING
The Midyear Board Meeting will be held at Columbia University in New York City, August 11-13, 2001. (Saturday 1:00 – 6:00 p.m., Sunday 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., Monday 8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.)
Action item: Clarke to add August 11-13 meeting to Management
Action item: Goodman to post a list of hotels on Board-L.
Action item: Duncan to post information about Club Quarters (private hotel).
11. ADJOURN 5:35 p.m.
Norine Duncan, Secretary