28th Annual ARLIS/NA Conference
Post-Conference Executive Board Meeting
Kings Plaza Room, Hilton Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
March 22, 2000
Wednesday, March 22, 2000
1. CALL TO ORDER (McKenzie) 8:40 a.m.
Present: Howard Adler, Executive Director; Leslie Abrams, West Regional Representative; Louis Adrean, Midwest Regional Representative; Peter Blank, Secretary; Carole Goldsmith, Canadian Representative; Ted Goodman, Vice-President/President-Elect; Trudy Jacoby, Treasurer; Deborah Kempe, Northeast Regional Representative; Pat Lynagh, Southeast Regional Representative; Karen McKenzie, President; Cindy Percival; Kathryn Wayne, Past-President.
2A. Roberts Rules of Order
The Board will follow Roberts Rules of Order.
2B. Agenda Changes
The meeting will start with the Conference discussion (4. Conferences). Since Adler and Percival must leave at 12:00 items relating to the transition will follow the Conference discussion and be moved up in the agenda (3. Business Arising Related to Transition), followed by the management report (5. Management).
2C. Minutes and Notes for Minutes
McKenzie encouraged the new members of the Board to take extensive notes pertaining to their agenda items.
2D. Midyear Executive Board Meeting.
The Midyear Board meeting will be held in Toronto at the Art Gallery of Ontario, Sept. 22-23. McKenzie will assist in making reservations for those who so request.
[Jane Dunwoodie and Mona Chapin joined the meeting.]
4A. Conference report.
Jane Dunwoodie, Pittsburgh Conference Local Arrangements Co-Chair, and Mona Chapin, Program Co-Chair, presented the Conference Report.
Dunwoodie reported that both the exhibitors and the conference attendees liked having the Exhibitors Hall situated near the Registration Desk and in the main traffic flow area of the hotel conference site. This encouraged conference attendees to visit the Exhibitors Hall, where the exhibitors reported increased activity, especially when compared to the previous year.
Walkie-talkies greatly facilitated Headquarters’ quick response to solving problems as they occurred.
The Silent Auction was a resounding success. Dunwoodie stated that some of the tables displaying auction items were too crowded and that in the future the items for sale should be more spread out with perhaps more baskets broken down.
The tours sold very well. Dunwoodie thought that this was in part due to the detailed descriptions which appeared in the pre-conference program. It is essential, however, that these detailed descriptions actually match the tours given.
One tour company bus on the Frank Lloyd Wright tour became lost and ended up in West Virginia. Buses left too early for the Convocation and could not unload because museum security at the Convocation site was not prepared. The combination of this and the fire alarm at the hotel led to the Convocation starting late. Although the Carnegie Museum gift shop stayed open until 10:00 p.m., there were those who were planning on shopping on their way out of the building at the end of the evening (close to midnight), by which time the shop had closed.
The Internet Room averaged 75 users a day. A survey of how the room was used by those who took advantage of its presence was kept and that information will soon be available for the Los Angeles Conference Planning Action Committee (LA CPAC).
Dunwoodie suggested that local fund raising start as early as possible in order to meet local agency/foundation deadlines. Several deadlines had already passed for many of the Pittsburgh possibilities by the time the Pittsburgh CPAC began investigating local funding options. One problem is that the conference program and activities are not be approved by CPAC in time to meet local foundation application deadlines.
Although several indicated that they were very pleased at the return of the Membership Luncheon, among the problems reported were: some tables not being served until near the end of the program; tables being cleared during the speaker’s presentation; no coffee; and a lack of appropriate vegetarian entrees, even though the hotel had already stated that a vegetarian selection would be readily available. This was indeed unfortunate because among those who were requesting a vegetarian entree was the speaker. This aspect of future luncheons must be followed up prior to and during the conference.
Mona Chapin gave the programs report. The Collection Development Workshop sold 51 tickets instead of the planned maximum of 30. Those who attended suggested several spin off ideas from that workshop for future conferences. The Basic Resources in Ancient Art and Archaeology workshop sold two extra tickets. There were difficulties with the AV equipment due to problems with the Hillman Library where the workshop was held. The Preservation workshop was not as well attended.
The Opening Plenary session was attended by over 300, double the number that signed up. The Sunday and Monday program sessions were very well attended. A number of sessions had to replace speakers at the last minute but there were no noticeable problems. The Ohio Valley Chapter raised $670.00 to bring in speakers for the Frank Lloyd Wright session, and Chapin suggested that in the future sponsoring chapters continue this effort. There were several proposals could not be held due to the lack of speaker funding.
The hotel AV trouble shooter was very prompt and responsive. Computer equipment is extremely expensive, and if all requests for PowerPoint, etc. capability had been met, costs for AV would have doubled. Chapin encouraged individuals to bring their own equipment whenever possible to help hold down costs.
Adler suggested that sessions not go online live, but instead download web files and run them from their laptop. Chapin and Schimmelpfennig were working with speakers right up to the last day to cut down on AV requirements, and several speakers were still saying that they needed equipment that they did not in fact need.
In the future all rooms must have aisles available down the sides of the rooms, and a number of rooms did not have enough chairs
Chapin recognized the considerable effort by Ray Anne Lockard in organizing and assisting in the planning of several sessions.
Wayne inquired as to the thank-you lists. Chapin has forwarded speaker data sheets to Headquarters, and she still has copies. She stated that it was extremely difficult to obtain speaker data from some speakers.
It was suggested that back-ups for tour leaders and for the registration desk be available. Headquarters helped considerably at the registration desk. Dunwoodie suggested that even if planners think they have staffing covered, to think again.
Percival has two honoraria checks that were not distributed. One speaker was sick and did not attend.
Motion #1: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board congratulate the Pittsburgh Co-Chairs and their Planning Committee for a very successful 28th Annual Conference.
The Board engaged in a general discussion about the Conference. Among the observations were:
- Special attention was made to provide visual resource sessions, and the visual resource professionals in attendance seemed very pleased with this programming.
- The hotel restaurant was given a broad rating from sub-standard to very good.
- Dunwoodie suggested running some sessions twice to provide more flexibility for attendees.
- An effort should continue to be made to allow time between sessions, even when sessions are staggered.
[Chapin and Dunwoodie left the meeting.]
4B. Future Conference Sites
4B1. 2002 St. Louis ARLIS/NA VRA Conference (Goodman)
Goodman met with the St. Louis Co-Chairs and Visual Resources Association (VRA) representatives, including Ann Whiteside, VRA Vice-President/President-Elect, at a dinner meeting. The Co-Chairs brought information on three hotels, including one that is the refurbished former Union Station and the Co-Chairs’ first choice. Besides the four ARLIS/NA Co-Chairs (two Local Arrangements, 2 Program), an additional four VRA Co-Chairs will be appointed, thus giving ARLIS/NA and VRA equal representation.
The Co-Chairs are looking forward to seeing the Pittsburgh Conference reports, as well as the Los Angeles reports next year. A two-thirds/one-third income split in favor of ARLIS/NA was suggested since ARLIS/NA would be providing management firm support. Whiteside will carry this information back to VRA leadership. Adler suggested that both associations have representatives sign any and all contracts. McKenzie suggested that the Co-Chairs begin contacting the hotels for examinations asap, and that the local co-chairs be reduced from eight to four (the Board had already approved four ARLIS/NA Co-Chairs -- 1999/2000 Executive Board Email Motion #58. Goodman to take this suggestion back to the Co-Chair group.
Action item: Goodman to recommend that in the interest of planning efficiency for the 2002 St. Louis Joint ARLIS/NA-VRA Conference that the current structure of four VRA Co-Chairs and four ARLIS/NA Co-Chairs be reduced to a total of four Co-Chairs, one VRA and one ARLIS/NA for Local Arrangements and one VRA and one ARLIS/NA for Programs. April 30. Goodman to follow up and make email motion to amend Motion #58 (1999/2000 Board) which approved the previous ARLIS/NA Co-Chair structure. May 15.
4B2. 2003 Baltimore Conference (Lynagh).
The D.C/Maryland/Virginia Chapter will be making a formal offer to hold the 2003 Annual Conference. Considerable support is already developing for a Baltimore conference. The Chapter is very enthusiastic about sponsoring the Annual Conference and is already beginning to assign planning duties.
Motion #2: Unanimously approved that the Executive Board accept the D.C./Maryland/Virginia Chapter’s invitation to hold the 31st Annual Conference in Baltimore, MD in 2003.
4B3. IFLA 2001 Conference, Boston (Jacoby)
Jacoby suggested that the Pre-Conference planning committee appoint a designated local fund raiser, and begin contacting a number of the Boston area book dealers as a first step to raise funds locally.
Jacoby also recommended that the Society identify a new lead development area for programming funds, with the IFLA Conference being the first beneficiary. Longer term this new development initiative would attempt to raise funds for both regional and annual Society conferences. The Development Committee should begin to investigate this new initiative, and Jacoby suggested that the IFLA Conference group designated local fundraiser liaison closely with the Development Committee.
Action item: Jacoby to contact IFLA 2001 Conference planning committee and recommend that they create a lead fund raising position. This individual would liaison with the Development Committee. May 1.
4B4. 2005 New York Conference proposal (Goodman)
Although Toronto has already been indicated as a possible site for the 2005 conference, both Goodman and Kempe have been approached by members of the New York Chapter about hosting the conference in New York in 2005 or 2006. McKenzie and Goldsmith reported that at the Canadian members meeting it was felt extra time would be required to plan a Canadian conference. According to the Policy Manual a Canadian meeting is to be held every ten years. With the 1999 Vancouver meeting, according to the Policy Manual schedule, another Canadian meeting should be held no later than 2009. Kempe suggested Brooklyn as an alternative to Manhattan, which has a good hotel and somewhat lower prices.
Action item: Goodman and Kempe to take expressed Board interest back to New York City Chapter and ask the Chapter to follow up on the possibility of a NY/Brooklyn Conference in 2005. June 15.
4C. Eliminating Requirement of DSRT/Committee Conference Program Sponsorship (Blank)
In order to simplify conference planning Blank suggested that the requirement for a DSRT or Committee to sponsor all conference program proposals be removed. Any member should be able to propose a session without attempting to gain the imprimatur of a DSRT or Committee. One point in favor of continuing the current practice is that it encourages communication of program ideas between the various DSRTs and Committees. After discussion it was established that a previous Board removed the DSRT/Committee proposal support requirement, yet on the current program proposal forms there is a space for "Sponsors." It was felt that if a DSRT or Committee does wish to sponsor a session, that this information should continue to be listed in the program.
Action item: McKenzie to inform 2001 Los Angeles Program Co-Chairs to amend online program proposal form that the Sponsors line is optional, and to post a message on ARLIS-L indicating that any individual can suggest a proposal without DSRT or Committee sponsorship. April 20.
4D. 2000 Pittsburgh Conference Thank You Letters (McKenzie)
The current President is to send thank you letters to everyone. Traditionally the entire Board sends letters to all the Co-Chairs. Additionally, the other Board members should send letters to any and all conference supporters. Wayne called Elmar Seibel the day after the Ars Libri reception to thank him for his support, and flowers were sent the following day. Adler suggested that McKenzie make personal calls to the core group of ARLIS/NA supporters to continue the ARLIS/NA relationship and initiate her personal relationship with this core group.
McKenzie reported that after the Vancouver conference she asked the Conference Co-Chairs if they wished her to write a letter to their supervisors indicating the Society’s reliance on volunteer support and thanking the supervisors for allowing this support to continue.
Action item: McKenzie, as President, to write official letters to all Pittsburgh Conference sponsors, and all individuals who assisted in local conference planning. List provided by Lockard. May 15.
Action item: Board members to write thank you letters to the 2000 Pittsburgh Conference Co-Chairs. April 30.
Action item: Board encouraged to write letters to any and all individuals associated with planning the conference and sponsors. April 30.
Action item: Wayne to distribute local planning and sponsor lists for the 2000 Pittsburgh Conference to the Board for thank-you letters. April 10.
[Due to the early departure of the Headquarters staff, the Board selectively moved up agenda items that included a management transition component]
3. Business Arising Related to Transition.
3A. Development Committee (Jacoby)
The Development Committee would like a copy of the Development/Fundraising database from Headquarters in paper and electronic file.
Action item: Adler to forward Development/Fundraising database to Jacoby in print and on disk. Jacoby to forward to Development Committee. April 10.
3B. Publications Committee (Abrams)
With the imminent signing of a contract with the H.W. Wilson Company to allow full-text of articles from Art Documentation to appear in Wilson’s Library Literature, the Committee requested a copy of Headquarters’ copyright agreement form to use as a guide to revise the existing form signed by Art Documentation authors.
Action item: Headquarters to provide Stephanie Sigala and Betsy Peck Learned, Art Documentation Co-Editors, Kathy Corcoran, Publications Committee Chair, and Abrams with a copy of Headquarters’ standard copyright release form. April 15.
The question was raised as to whether all Society publications published during Headquarters’ tenure have been forwarded to the Society archives at Syracuse University.
Action item: Headquarters to ensure that copies of all Society production items have been sent to the ARLIS/NA archives at Syracuse University. April 15.
The Committee requested that before they develop retention guidelines for the current inventory of Society publications prior to the transferal of the inventory to the new management firm that the Committee receives an updated inventory.
Action item: Headquarters to inventory all remaining boxes of publications and forward the inventory to Kathy Corcoran, Publications Committee Chair, Abrams, Committee Liaison, Blank, and McKenzie. April 15.
3C. ARLIS/NA Web Site Advisory Board (AWSAB) (Blank)
Adler agreed that the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS) could reside on the Headquarters server past the April 30 end of contract date if necessary, although revision of material would not be done after that date.
Action item: Headquarters to copy AWS via appropriate transmission format as requested by the new management firm. Headquarters will house the site on their server until the new firm is ready to make the transfer, perhaps beyond April 30.
A number of AWS revision scenarios were altered, giving primary responsibility for updating the AWS to Headquarters rather than to specific Board members. Instead of giving Graham access to the site to update the Policy Manual section, Headquarters will revise the section. Similarly, instead of giving Corbetta-Noyes access to the site to revise the Chapter Success Book, Headquarters will do the revisions. Headquarters will also post the 1999 Conference Proceedings.
Headquarters will also perform regular maintenance and updates prior to the termination date, such as updating the Executive Board page, and will revise pages as necessary with new date information, such as the award application pages, as submitted. After April 30 this regular maintenance will have to be done by the new firm once they are hosting the AWS.
Action item: Revised AWS transition responsibilities:
- Contact Mary Graham and obtain an electronic copy of the Policy Manual changes and post same to the appropriate sections on the web site.
- Contact Lorna Corbetta-Noyes and obtain an electronic copy of the changes to the Chapter Success Manual and post same to the appropriate sections on the web site.
- Contact Ann Lally, Conference Proceedings Editor, and obtain an electronic copy of the 99 conference proceedings and post same to the appropriate page on the web site.
- Contact Roberto Ferrari, AWSAB Chair, and arrange to give him administrative electronic access to the AWS.
- Continue to maintain the usual process for regular updates and maintenance on the AWS (including changing dates, names, etc.) All to be completed prior to April 25.
Roberto Ferrari, AWSAB Chair, will prioritize the AWSAB cleanup report, creating a text and link correction list by June 30, and a trimming and weeding list by Aug. 31. All revisions will be accomplished by the new firm.
3D. Membership Committee (Goldsmith)
As a guide to revising the membership application and renewal form, and to facilitate a plan for the contacting of non-renewals, Katy Poole, Membership Chair, requested certain membership related documents from Headquarters.
Action item:: Headquarters to send membership database template with key to all fields to Katy Poole, Membership Committee Chair and Goldsmith. April 15.
Action item:: Headquarters to send 2000 membership non-renewal list to Poole, Membership Committee Chair. April 15.
5. MANAGEMENT (McKenzie, Adler)
McKenzie clarified the Society’s reimbursement schedule for travel support for the incoming Board members. Abrams, Goldsmith, Goodman, and Jacoby receive no support for the Pittsburgh conference. Expense reimbursement forms will be mailed to the Board by Headquarters.
5A. Transition Issues
5A1. Audit (Jacoby)
Headquarters will close their accounts with us on the termination date. An audit will be performed by Headquarters for tax purposes
Adler reported that general administration costs for 1999, budgeted at around $108,000, came in at $98,000, $10,000 under target. Consequently, if the Society follows a similar budget projection and if there are no unique or exceptional expenses relating to the current transition, the Society should stay well within budget.
Action item:: Jacoby to do a comparison of 1999 and 2000 budgets in main areas where we are likely to incur expenses pertaining to transition between management firms. April 30.
[Adler and Percival left the meeting]
6. FINANCE (Jacoby)
6A. Budget Implications of the Transition
Wayne suggested that McKenzie use her "From the President" column to let the membership know that the transition from Olson Management Group to Adler Drosz Inc. did not harm the Society financially, nor is it anticipated that the transition from Headquarters to the new management firm will necessarily result in any negative financial implications for the Society.
6B. Emergency Funds Report (Jacoby)
The confusion relating to the Pre-Conference discussions on agenda items 5A. Management - Transition Schedule, Priorities and 8A4. Finance Committee - Emergency Fund Proposal was discussed. The Finance Committee did follow the Board’s directive relating to Motion #43 (Berkeley Midyear meeting) recommending that 90 days operating funds be deposited in short-term instruments to cover funding short falls in the operating budget. The Finance Committee also developed an Emergency Funds Proposal whereby a certain amount of money would be set aside annually out of the operating budget on a gradual basis to create an emergency fund for future and anticipated financial difficulties.
McKenzie pointed out that at the Berkeley Midyear meeting there was a consensus that the Society needed to investigate the creation of a contingency fund to cope with unanticipated, but non-emergency funding issues. Goodman stated that in previous years the Society had created a contingency fund that was to be kept available in a readily accessible fund.
Finance needs to know how much money the Board feels should be held in a 90-day operating budget fund. Goodman suggested that we divide the total budget by 12 and multiply by 3. This would suggest a figure of $78,948 based on the FY2000 operating budget of $315,796. This figure seemed a very large amount to be held in a low interest fund.
McKenzie returned to the contingency issue and suggested that we create a small contingency fund of $10,000 for unexpected expenses, completely separate from the 90-day operating expenses fund. This would provide future Boards with a ready monies to be distributed whenever unanticipated expenses arose and would not require the Treasurer and the Board to continually revise the budget to meet these expenses.
The Society had $20,000 in Schwab Money Market funds as of January. There was a disbursement of $4,000, and at this time the short term fund contains $15,600. For the time being this fund will be kept at the current level.
The Finance Committee will come back to the Board with recommendations regarding the management of the funds.
Action item:: Jacoby will create a report clarifying the financial structure and situation of the Society for distribution prior to the Toronto Midyear meeting. Sept. 15.
[The Board returned to agenda item 5. Management and went into Executive Session. General Executive Board meeting resumed at 1:20]
7A. Division and Round Table reports
7A1. Visual Resources Division (Jacoby)
The Academic Image Cooperative is now out of the prototype phase and the Visual Resources Division is suggesting that the Board consider supporting the Cooperative. The initiative grew out of concerns relating to copyright issues and rights and reproductions charges as they relate to digitized images. The goal of the Cooperative is to have institutions who hold copyright images contribute those images to an image base for teaching (www.academicimage.org). Digital Library Federation, the Mellon Foundation, and College Art Association are supporting the Cooperative. Jacoby recommended that ARLIS/NA also support the Cooperative, and ask the Visual Resources Division and the Visual Resources Advisory Committee to suggest what ARLIS/NA's voice should be in this initiative. Wayne reminded the Board that Daniel Starr has been appointed to represent ARLIS/NA with AMICO.
Action item:: Goodman to contact Greg Most, Visual Resources Moderator, and suggest that the Visual Resources Division prepare an appropriate response in conjunction with the Visual Resources Advisory Committee, Leigh Gates, Chair, for possible Society support of the Academic Image Cooperative. April 15.
The Division will also dissolve the separate Visual Resources Division discussion list and all further discussion will be held on ARLIS-L.
7A2. Architecture Division (Abrams)
The Division would like to encourage the participation of the Association of Architecture School Librarians (AASL) at the 2000 Los Angeles conference. Wayne pointed out that as an affiliate organization they should already be receiving invitations.
The AASL-ARLIS/NA Task Force on NAAB Standards, joint task force for the creation of accreditation guidelines and procedures, has a first draft and is aiming for an October 1 for completion. Elliott Pavlos, Executive Director of the National Architectural Accrediting Board, requested this information over a year ago. The Board will encourage the Task Force to complete their report as soon as possible.
Action item:: McKenzie to contact Janine Henry and Kathy Brackney of the AASL-ARLIS/NA Task Force on NAAB Standards and inform them that the Task Force report completion date will be July 31. April 30
7A3. Decorative Arts Round Table (Blank)
The Decorative Arts Round Table wishes to change their name to the Decorative Arts and Material Culture Round Table. Since section E-23 of the Policy Manual already contains language referring to "material culture" and since the corresponding editorial fallout would be considerable, the Board at this time denies this request. Instead, the Board recommends that they use the Society communication vehicles to publicize this aspect of their charge.
Action item:: Goodman to inform Decorative Arts that Policy Manual section E-23 Statement of Purpose for the Decorative Arts Round Table already includes language indicating a focus on aspects of "material culture" and that the Round Table publicize this aspect of their Statement of Purpose. Goodman also to indicate the considerable amount of editing work that would necessarily accompany a name change for the Round Table. May 1.
7A4. Serials Round Table (Goldsmith)
The group has decided to disband the Serials Swap at the annual conference due to lack of interest in favor of a more organized swap via ARLIS-L, with "Serial Swap" in the subject line.
Action item: McKenzie to notify Amy Ciccone that the Serials Swap will not be required for the 2002 Los Angeles Conference. May 1.
Action item: Goodman to notify Evalyn Stone, Serials Round Table Moderator, that the John Benjamins Award has been discontinued. Benjamins will continue to support the Society in other ways. May 1.
The Serials Round Table is requesting that they become a Section. Also, they are interested in having an annual discussion group meeting at the annual conference like the Cataloging Section. Bylaws section XII.B. and XIII.C. outline the requirements for Sections (30 members) and Round Tables (15 members).
Action item: Goodman to contact Greg Most, Serials Round Table Moderator, and outline the necessary steps according to the Society Bylaws for the creation of a Section. Also, Goodman will encourage the Round Table to utilize ARLIS-L for all Round Table related discussions rather than on a separate or non-ARLIS/NA distribution list. May 1.
The Round Table was also interested in including the North American Serials Interest Group (NASIG) as a link on the AWS. Links on the AWS are only for Society affiliates, which NASIG is not.
7A5. Women and Art Round Table (Blank)
The Round Table was curious as to whether ARLIS/NA DSRT, Committee, or Chapter web sites must be vetted by a Society editorial group. The question is does the Society have the ability to truly provide oversight and editorial control for all the ARLIS/NA sub sites. Up to this point in time there has been no need for a central editorial agency to exist. Ferrari, AWSAB Chair, does not feel the need to oversee the Society sub sites, but does feel the AWSAB should vet all material that goes on the AWS.
Action item: Goodman to report to Women and Art Round Table that materials posted to Society linked sites that are not hosted on the AWS server do not require Society vetting prior to posting. Goodman will copy Blank, Liaison to AWSAB, and Ferrari, Chair, AWSAB. April 30.
7A6. New Art Round Table (Kempe)
Although the Round Table has a history of low attendance with low attendance again this year, Kempe suggested that the Round Table continue since the group regularly proposes conference programs. The Board concurred.
Blank suggested a new format for the DSRT meetings. At the beginning of the Annual Conference an open session general meeting of the Round Tables would be held. At the beginning of the session all general announcements would be made, with some beginning discussion on program planning for the following year, followed by break out groups based on the current Round Table groups to finalize program planning. This would decrease the need for meeting spaces, simplify the Vice-President/President-Elect introduction, and improve communication, but still allow for conference planning.
Adrean, Liaison to the Diversity Committee, suggested that number of "diversity" groups such as Indigenous Art, GLIRT might want to consider joining together. This discussion will be tabled until Midyear.
Action item: Goodman to suggest possible new format of a combined general meeting with break-out groups for the conference Round Table business meetings to moderator@ listserve for discussion by Moderators. April 10. Goodman to compile responses and report to McKenzie to take to Los Angeles CPAC meeting May 23-24.
7A7. Space Planners Round Table (Lynagh)
The Round Table would like to post information to the AWS on current building projects and consultants used in these and other projects.
Rather than consist of a continuous membership base, such as GLIRT or the Serials Round Table, the membership of this group tends to vary and include members who are currently undergoing building projects of one sort or another. McKenzie suggested that the group be changed to a Discussion Group. As such they would be able to continue their discussions (as the Museum Directors Discussion Group does) but would not require all the procedural support that accompanies a Round Table.
If the Round Table became a Discussion Group they would not have to produce an annual report, there would be no Liaison responsibilities for the Board, but the group would still be able to meet and discuss their issues by requesting a meeting time. The Board decided that with the new Round Table meeting format most likely to be implemented, that for the time being Space Planners would continue as before.
7B. Committee Reports
7B1. Development Committee (Jacoby)
The Committee voiced considerable concern regarding the inability to access the donor database. This will be provided by Headquarters (see 3A. Business Arising Related to Transition - Development Committee).
The Committee would also like Board guidance on prioritizing fund raising initiatives, such as the 2001 Boston IFLA Conference, matching funds for the architecture speaker series, and so on. They are interested in examining planned giving, how advertising on the AWS may relate to the Development Committee, returning the donation check-off to the Society Membership application/renewal form, and the creation of a designated development officer. Wayne attended the Committee meeting and has volunteered to prepare a white paper on the current status of the Society’s fund raising and development activities.
Regarding the architecture lecture series, Wayne responded that the report by the Special Committee Chair, Jane Devine, indicated that matching funds were not in fact needed, but that the prospective donor was interested in who was supporting the Society and to what levels. Devine will respond to the prospective donor with a report indicating the level of support that the Society now receives, as well as a dollar amount for the in-kind support that the Society now receives.
Questions were raised in relation to a speaker and program support fund regarding speaker support fund as to what this fund would cover (honoraria, air fair, hotel accommodations). Kempe suggested that another silent auction be held to lead off this speaker and program support fund.
Action item: Jacoby to charge the Development Committee to outline the creation of a fund designated to provide speaker and conference program support above and beyond the usual speaker honoraria. Among the activities requiring support would be plenary and special session speakers. April 30.
Action item: McKenzie to charge the 2001 Los Angeles Co-Chairs to begin planning a silent auction for the Los Angeles Conference. May 23-24.
Action item: Goldsmith to inform Poole, Membership Committee Chair, of the need to add check-off boxes for donations to a select group of development possibilities on the membership application/renewal form. April 30.
7B2. Finance Committee (Jacoby)
Jacoby observed that although the group is not to be more than five people, there were 12 people in the room.
Action item: McKenzie to charge Grace Reid, Finance Committee Chair, with bringing the size of the Committee into compliance with Policy Manual section C-22. April 15.
Statements have not been received from the Financial Advisor since November 1999. Jacoby directed Reid to have the Financial Advisor deliver the outstanding statements and that all future statements go directly to the Committee Chair, the Treasurer, and the Executive Director. Since the transfer to the Financial Advisor the Society’s funds have increased by $5,000 (a copy of the current statement was faxed to conference by the Financial Advisor with this information.)
Jacoby will clarify what Society funds are deposited with commercial fund providers. Jacoby suggested that at Midyear she will be able to present a clearer picture of our current fund allocation and how we should revise this allocation.
There was a question from the Committee as to who signs off on Money Market fund checks and who has authority to transfer funds. Currently Chibnik, Blank, McKenzie, and Wayne are on the signature card from the Financial Advisor.
Action item: Jacoby to check with the Financial Advisor and Headquarters to see who currently has signature authority for signing checks, and arrange for the addition and removal of signatures as appropriate. April 30.
Action item: Jacoby to initiate email discussion requesting Executive Board input for special considerations which may have implications for the Society's long term financial projections. June 1.
7B3. Publications Committee (Abrams)
Stephanie Sigala, Co-Editor for Art Documentation, wants to know who will be signing the H.W. Wilson contract for the inclusion of Art Documentation in Library Literature Full-Text.
Action item: Abrams to have Corcoran, Publications Committee Chair, forward H.W. Wilson full-text contract for Library Literature to McKenzie for signing. April 30.
A question was raised as to whether moving Update to electronic distribution would lose advertisers, since the print runs will be significantly less. Update will begin appearing on the AWS with issue #3 for those who wish to receive the publication electronically. Up to this point in time with Update being distributed wholly as a print publication, ads had been removed before the issue went on the AWS. Kate Shanley, ARLIS/NA Advertising Representative, has expressed that she does not wish to pursue web advertising, but wants to continue to only handle print advertising. Blank suggested that the advertisers will actually be reaching a wider audience since for the first time the ads will be included on the AWS version of Update and will be visible not only to members of the Society, but also the entire web audience. Shanley should inform advertisers of this change to web publication and she should continue to receive her full commission on all ads she contracts (10%) for the remainder of the 2000 issue year. The Board should resolve how it will handle the problem of advertisers who may wish to advertise in both Update and on the AWS with other types of ads, such as banner ads, and how this will affect advertising rates and Shanley’s commission.
Action item: McKenzie to inform Kate Shanley of change to electronic distribution of Update with issue #3, June 2000, issue. April 15.
Action item: Abrams to inform Zieper, Update Editor, that Update will be posted on the AWS with all ads as of issue #3 (June 2000), with cc: to Corcoran, Publications Committee Chair and Ferrari, AWSAB Chair.
The Committee has not been receiving regular financial reports relating to the publication budget and sales as they had in the past.
Action item: Jacoby to discuss with Corcoran, Publications Committee Chair, the re-establishment of the necessary financial reports which the Committee must receive. April 30.
Update #3 will be published by the new firm. Zieper will have copy ready for new firm by, if not prior to May 1.
Action item: Abrams to keep Board informed of time sensitive issues relating to the various Society publications and their possible implications during the management firm transition period. April 15.
7B4. ARLIS/NA Web Site Administrative Board (AWSAB)
The AWSAB will be developing advertising guidelines and procedures for editing and revising the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS).
The out-of-print book dealer John Wood informed Wayne that he is interested in advertising on the AWS as soon as the Society offers advertisers this option.
7B5. Awards Committee (Wayne)
Although the charge of the Awards Committee is solely to oversee selecting and awarding of the Distinguished Service Award the name of the Committee is so generic that its charge is not effectively communicated to the membership. Wayne suggested that the Committee name be changed.
Motion #4: Unanimously approved that the Awards Committee be renamed the Distinguished Service Award Committee as suggested by the current Committee Chair, Milan Hughston.
Action item: Wayne to report Board Motion #4, to change the name of the Awards Committee to the Distinguished Service Award Committee to Committee Chair, Hughston. April 30.
Action item: Blank to update Policy Manual in regards to Board Motion #4, changing the name of the Awards Committee to the Distinguished Service Award Committee. June 1.
7B6. Membership Committee (Goldsmith)
Poole, Committee Chair, would like the membership application/renewal form to be more prominently placed on AWS. Revision of the membership form was discussed. Both the Committee and the Board feel the form should focus on facilitating membership application and renewal and correcting outdated membership information. It should not be used as a survey instrument.
The Committee would also like to revise the existing membership brochure. $400 has already been funded for a new membership brochure for FY2000.
Action item: Goldsmith to advise Poole, Membership Committee Chair, that money has been funded for fiscal year 2000 for the design and creation of a new membership brochure and that the Committee should propose a design for presentation to the Board at the Toronto Midyear meeting. April 30.
McKenzie reported that retired members would like to have a discounted registration rate for conference registration.
Motion #5: Unanimously approved a new conference registration rate for retired members equivalent to the student category.
Action item: McKenzie to notify Los Angeles CPAC of Board Motion #5, implementing a retired members conference registration rate equivalent to the student rate. May 23/24.
7B7. North American Relations (Lynagh)
The Committee would like to ascertain what other associations our members have joined. There is a line for this information at the end of the current membership form, but the data has never been collated, nor does the current form include all the affiliate associations. It was not clear what would be the purpose of gathering this information. Once again it was felt that this sort of information could be best gathered by a survey if there was a demonstrable reason why it was essential.
Action item: Goldsmith to notify Poole, Membership Committee Chair, that the "other societies" boxes on the membership application and renewal form should be dropped. April 30.
The Committee also wondered whether affiliate societies receive price breaks for advertising in our Society publications. They do receive our membership lists, member registration rates at the Annual conference, and are allowed to advertise in ARLIS/NA publications, but there are no advertising price breaks associated with affiliation.
The Committee wished to consider affiliating with the Association of Moving Images Archivists.
Action item: Lynagh to charge Committee with making a case as to why ARLIS/NA should or should not affiliate with the Association of Moving Images Archivists for presentation at the Toronto Midyear meeting. June 1.
There was a suggestion from the Committee that the Board consider creating an External Relations Committee by combining the North American Relations Committee with the International Relations Committee. Abrams responded that the International Relations Committee did not feel that the charges and actions of the two aligned. Another Committee suggestion was that they become part of the Membership Committee.
The role of the North American Relations Committee is to suggest affiliations and affiliate representatives, but the Committee is recommending that it be dissolved, which Article XI, Section 8 of the Bylaws allows the Board to do. During discussion the Board developed a consensus that the final act of the Committee should be to create guidelines and an administrative structure to oversee the affiliate representatives.
Action item: Lynagh to charge the Committee to suggest: 1) a means to provide appropriate administrative structure for affiliates outside the current Committee structure in order to dissolve the Committee; and 2) create position guidelines for affiliate Liaisons for presentation at the Toronto Midyear meeting. April 30.
7B8. Standards Committee (Adrean)
The Standards Committee felt that it is not being consulted in regards to standards issues. Many of these standards issues are in fact being discussed by other Society Committees and DSRTs. The Committee was originally formed as a staffing standards group. In some regards this group is similar to the Computer Section which was formed when computers were just beginning to become an integral component of libraries, but outlived its usefulness once computers became omnipresent. It was suggested that the Board dissolve the Standards Committee and that Austin, Committee Chair, become a Special Appointment as a liaison to NISO.
A consortium of over 20 international group is investigating creating a consortial group to replace the German standards supervisory group, DIN, to serve as a coordinating point for issues relating to TC46 standards. NISO would serve as the secretariat to oversee this group. If the Society wishes to participate it would likely need to substantially increase its current dues to NISO ($500.00).
Action item: Adrean to direct Austin, Standards Committee Chair, to establish exactly what costs (NISO dues increase) and benefits are associated with the Society supporting NISO's adoption of the TC46 Secretariat due to DIN's relinquishing of this support responsibility. For later Board email discussion. May 30.
Action item: Adrean to initiate discussions with Austin regarding the possible dissolution of the Standards Committee and the appointment of Austin as a Special Appointment as a liaison to NISO. April 30.
7B9. Technology Committee (Goldsmith)
Deferred to future Board email discussion.
7B10. Collection Development Committee (Kempe)
The Committee would like to form a Collection Development Problems Group modeled on the Cataloging Problems Discussion Group. Jacoby stated that the Visual Resources Committee Software Users Discussion Group was a very successful session. The Collection Development workshop was very well attended. While the Board is striving to streamline the Society, the success of the Cataloging and Visual Resources Software Groups and the importance of collection development to our profession suggested that the Board that it give the Committee the opportunity to demonstrate the necessary support existed to support such a discussion group.
Action item: Kempe to inform Bowen, Collection Development Chair, that the Committee needs to post the idea of creating a Collection Development Problems Discussion Group on ARLIS-L well before the 2001 Los Angeles Conference May 1 program/business meeting proposal deadline in order to gauge interest and the necessity of scheduling a room.
7B11. Diversity Committee (Adrean)
The Committee would like direct access to the Diversity Committee page on the AWS for making revisions and additions.
Action item: Adrean to forward AWS access request from Diversity webmaster to Blank for AWSAB. April 30.
The Committee is still interested in taking a language facilities survey of the membership.
Also, the Committee would like to promote diversity by offering buttons or pins promoting diversity at the Los Angeles conference. They have been advised of the funding deadlines for 2001.
7B12. Professional Development (Lynagh)
The Committee was uncertain how to proceed with publicity for the Internship Award.
Action item: Lynagh to inform Greives, Professional Development Committee Chair that $600 is available in the fiscal year 2000 budget for printing brochures for the Internship Award. Lynagh to put Greives in contact with the Research Committee Chairs, Joan Stahl and Linda Tompkins-Baldwin, and the Travel Awards Chair, Kari Horowicz, for examples on how to develop application procedures and publicize awards. April 30.
Kempe pointed out that the charge of the Committee as stated in the Policy Manual will need to be revised to include administration of the Internship Award.
Action item: Lynagh to revise Policy Manual section C-27 and the Handbook to reflect the Professional Development Committee's regular administration of the Internship Award and make a motion via email. May 15. Wayne to revise Handbook, Blank to revise Policy Manual. June 15.
The Committee would like to publicize the Internship Award via the AWS.
Action item: Lynagh to forward Committee's request for inclusion of the Internship Award in Awards section of the AWS space to Blank for discussion with Ferrari, AWSAB Chair. June 1. Pages must be up by June 30.
7B13. Public Policy Committee (Lynagh)
Lynagh submitted letter drafted by Roger Lawson and the Committee to the Copyright Office regarding DMCA120A and the Society’s position on copyright.
Action item: Lynagh to direct Lawson to send draft to McKenzie, with cc to Blank, of letter for signing.
Lawson is planning on editing and revising the Public Policy updates to deliver this material to the membership in a more digestible form. An Update column is one possibility.
7B14. Research Committee (Blank)
The Research Committee would like to work with the Muehsam Committee on combining the two Committees. This new Committee would oversee pre-professional research, professional research, and professional publication awards. Thus one committee would orchestrate all publicity issues, but might contain a sub-committee to focus specifically on evaluating the Muehsam applications. Blank has already put Tompkins-Baldwin and Stahl, Research Committee Chairs, in touch with Paula Gabbard, Muehsam Award Committee Chair, to begin discussions.
The Committee would also like the management firm to take over the sole responsibility of producing the annual award certificates. McKenzie concurred that the firm should produce all such related award certificates.
Action item: Blank to follow up during management firm transition and contact Travel Awards and related Committees.
John Benjamins, who formerly supported a Research Committee award for serials research, has offered to provide $2,000.00 for outside speakers support, perhaps related to serials, serials history, and serials research. Wayne will follow-up with Benjamins regarding the suggestion of possible speakers. This donation could kick off our designated speaker and program support fund, with Benjamins as the first donation. Wayne will inform Benjamins that the money would probably go into a central fund, but he would be encouraged to suggest speakers. One issue to be solved is how to provide individual recognition for donors in a fund with multiple contributors. Also, the Society will continue to welcome individual speaker sponsorships from interested donors.
Benjamins is not interested in supporting an Exhibitors Opening Breakfast again next year. He felt that the opening reception should be at 9:00 a.m., not 8:00 a.m., that most conference attendees come only for food and coffee and do not visit the exhibitors’ booths, and that the expense for the food is a wasted investment in terms of encouraging interaction between the exhibitors and the conference attendees.
Action item: McKenzie to inform Los Angeles CPAC that Benjamins will not be funding an exhibitors' opening breakfast, but prefers to support the Society in areas more related to programming, and that he suggested that the hall open at 9:00 a.m. instead of 8:00 a.m.
7B15. Visual Resources Advisory Committee (VRAC) (Wayne)
Wayne suggested at the VRAC meeting that ARLIS/NA and the Visual Resources Association (VRA) consider combining as one organization. Ann Whiteside, incoming President of VRA, responded that she did not think the VRA membership was prepared for such a move, but that the recent Society and VRA joint standards publication and the upcoming joint conference in St. Louis were positive moves in this direction. Whiteside felt this conversation should be continued.
Jacoby provided a brief history of the history of relationship between VRA and ARLIS/NA. One of the issues is a certain antipathy by some visual resource professionals towards the idea of being labeled as "librarians" in spite of the considerable blurring of the boundaries between these two professions supporting research in visual and material culture. A number of VRA and ARLIS/NA Chapters hold concurrent meetings.
Action item: McKenzie to continue discussions with Whiteside and Wayne and Jacoby to meet with Whiteside at SF VRA meeting.
7B16. Special Committee for Architecture Lecture Series (McKenzie)
7C. Canadian Members Meeting.
There was a strong suggestions that there should be alternative information provided in the conference program regarding cheaper hotels and B&Bs. Other organizations apparently provide this type of information and it was suggested that the Board examine how this is accomplished. Due to the contractual requirements that would financially penalize the Society if hotel room block requirements are not met the Board is unwilling to provide alternative housing information.
Action item: Goldsmith to inform the Canadian Chapter of the financial implications tied to room block minimums.
7D. Task Forces and Special Appointments.
7D1. Statistics Task Force (Blank)
During the Conference the Art & Design School Division, the Architecture Division, and the Academic Division all called for the gathering of statistics. The Task Force is producing a draft survey form to query the membership as to the type of statistics that should be gathered.
Action item: Blank to inform Graney, Statistics Task Force Chair, that the end date for a report will be by the Toronto Midyear Board meeting or the Task Force will be dissolved.
8. OTHER BUSINESS
Action item: Blank to confirm that the Film & Video Round Table has been deleted from the Policy Manual.
Wayne informed the Board that Stephanie Sigala and Betsy Peck Learned will step down at end of 2001 as editors of Art Documentation.
Goldsmith reported comments that the Leadership Breakfast was considered to be too formal and intimidating by some of those who attended for the first time, while others questioned if it was necessary for those who had attended previous Leadership Breakfasts to continue to attend or could the Breakfast be for those who were in positions of Society leadership for the first time. The Board will work to create a more welcoming atmosphere at the Breakfast, and all Society members who are in a leadership position will continue to be encouraged to attend.
Motion #6: Unanimously approved that the Post-Conference Executive Board Meeting be adjourned.
The Meeting was adjourned at 5:25 p.m.
Peter Blank, Secretary