Art Libraries Society of North America
Pre-Conference Executive Board Meeting
Hotel Vancouver, Vancouver, B.C.
March 25-26, 1999
Thursday, March 25, 1999
Executive Session (8:30-11:30am)
Pre-Conference Board Meeting
1. CALL TO ORDER
The Pre-Conference Board meeting was called to order by Mary Graham, President. Present were Roger Lawson, Past-President, Kathryn Wayne, Vice President/President-Elect, Katherine Chibnik, Treasurer, Jeanne Brown, Secretary, Jane Carlin, Midwest Regional Representative, Lee Sorensen, South Regional Representative, Lorna Corbetta-Noyes, West Regional Representative, Margaret Webster, Northeast Regional Representative, Marilyn Berger, Canadian Representative, Peter Blank, Secretary-elect, Louis Adrean, Midwest Regional Representative-elect, Debbie Kempe, Northeast Regional Representative-elect , Ashley Prather, Executive Director, Holly Marquardt, Conference Manager, and Elizabeth Stark, Exhibits Manager. Also, the Conference Planning Committee, consisting of Cheryl Siegel, Carole Goldsmith, Diana Cooper, and Kathy Zimon was present.
2A. Robert’s Rules of Order
2B. Agenda Changes
Addition of 7D4-NJ Chapter issues
2C. Meal Arrangements were announced
Dinner at Shanghai Bistro.
2D. New Board members were welcomed (attendance noted previously)
3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES
3A. Tucson Mid-Year Minutes
Mid-Year Executive Board meeting minutes were deferred in order to allow the most recent draft to be presented.
3B. Email Minutes
Motion #1: Unanimously approved email minutes of post Mid-Year meeting in Tucson as written.
3C. Conference Call Minutes
Motion #2: Approve conference call minutes of September 29, 1998 as amended, with one abstention.
4. CONFERENCE ISSUES
4A. 1999 Vancouver Conference Progress Report
4A1. Program Sessions, Special Events, Tours, Workshops
Cheryl Siegel and Carole Goldsmith, Conference co-chairs, reported that this conference contained a series of firsts: plenary sessions, a market place, Canadian currency accepted, a high tea, a series of three conference managers from headquarters, live performances, filming, no Ars Libri party, international mix of US and Canadian members, and a Committee 30% of whom had never been to an ARLIS/NA conference. Conference programs were handed out to Board members. Conference changes were noted.
Marquardt reported 464 attendees registered to date and 41 exhibitors.
Prather reported conference income of $110,000 as of March 21, 1999. She reported that this figure would be affected by refunds and future conference revenues yet to be collected. Concern was raised that this was short of the budgeted revenue amount of $161,000. Prather suggested that it was actually too early to be definite about final conference figures. Chibnik sees the need for a firm honoraria policy. Siegel requested a written policy as it was unclear to the Conference Committee how much each session should cost. Other issues include who should get complimentary registration.
(Conference Planning Committee left meeting.)
4A4. Board Member assignments during conference
4A4a. Reporting procedures, post-conference Board preparation
Wayne distributed schedule and discussed assignments. Carlin announced change in Research Committee meeting to Tuesday, March 30, 5-6pm. Sorensen and Carlin will attend. Carlin will write report for post-conference.
Graham announced that all Board members (current and in-coming) should attend the Welcome party and the Leadership Breakfast. The Leadership Breakfast should be attended by one officer and newsletter editor from each chapter (or two per chapter). Mentors and mentees are invited to the Welcome party. Blank will pass this information along to next year’s mentor coordinator to include as part of mentor program. Board members should take Pittsburgh program proposals to the Welcome party.
Board members should take notes at discussion sessions and give them to Wayne through the envelope on the bulletin board. Wayne reminded Board members to ask session attendees to fill in strategic plan surveys. Chibnik reminded Board to have strategic plan surveys in the Informal Meetings also. Carlin noted that the strategic plan is available through a CGI file on the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS) and at the conference registration desk.
4A4b. Committee liaison assignments were reviewed by Wayne
Reports should be placed in the envelope labeled "Business Meeting Reports" on the bulletin board. Post-conference meeting agenda planning session set for 5:30 to 6:15 on Tuesday, March 30. Conference Planning Advisory Committee (CPAC) dinner following at 6:30.
4B. Conference Planning Manual
Lawson reported that a revised draft of the Conference Planning Manual is on the AWS. The 1994 edition of manual has illustrations interleaved. Next edition will have them separate to make revision of examples easier. Revision reflects the fact that Headquarters does contract negotiation now. The next revision is scheduled for 2001.
4C. Progress Reports for Future Conference Sites
4C1. 2000 Pittsburgh
Carlin reported that Ray Anne Lockard and Jane Dunwoodie will co-chair local arrangements. Ann Abid and Mona Chapin will be program planning co-chairs. Highlights update sheet from Lockard was distributed. Promotional activities are planned for the Membership meeting. The conference web site is up.
Action item: Prather to complete hotel negotiations to increase room block for Pittsburgh meeting with the Pittsburgh Hilton and Towers, by May 1.
4C2. 2001 Los Angeles
Corbetta-Noyes reported Lorraine Perrotta and Susan Flanagan will serve as program co-chairs. No local arrangements chairs have been named yet. Joan Bennedetti, the member who organized last LA conference is active in the chapter. Hotel response report was passed out by Prather.
Action item: Prather to continue the hotel search and have more responses by May 1. Committee is particularly interested in the Santa Monica Doubletree.
4C3. 2002 St. Louis
Carlin said that Frechette will make report at the Membership meeting. There is strong potential for a joint meeting with VRA. Carlin will discuss with Whiteside, current VRA president. The chapter is interested in one hotel only: the one at the renovated railway station.
4C4. 67th IFLA Conference, Boston, August 2001
4C4a. National Organizing Committee Status Report
Graham reported that Hugh Wilburn has agreed to be our Committee representative.
4C4b. IFLA 2001 Conference Planning Task Force
Wilburn has agreed to chair the conference planning task force. His charge is to assist IFLA with local arrangements, and determine feasibility of holding ARLIS/NA satellite conference. Wilburn wants to know what support can be expected from Headquarters, when the Board wants the Committee recommendation, and what level of detail the report should include. Financial implications need to be to Chibnik by September 1. Deadline for program proposal is the Mid-Year meeting, October 1, 1999. Second possibility of ARLIS/NA involvement is to co-sponsor IFLA Arts Section sessions.
Action item: Graham to contact Wilburn by April 15.
Discussion of how a meeting in August 2001 in Boston would affect annual meeting in March in LA. Webster noted that the meeting would have appeal to Northeastern Chapter members, and Graham noted the potential for outreach to international members.
5. MANAGEMENT ISSUES
5A. OMG Management Update
5A1. Staff Introductions
Prather introduced Holly Marquardt as interim Conference Manager, Elizabeth Stark as Membership Director and Conference Registrar, and Julie Skowvron (not present) as ARLIS/NA support staff member. Prather also reflects recent staff changes at Headquarters: she came on board as Executive Director on October 1, 1998.
5A2. Introduction to Headquarters for incoming Executive Board members
Prather asked that requests from Board members should either go through her or she should be copied on them. She can be reached through the Board listserv, individual e-mail, the 800 number, or by regular mail. Details of HQ’s orientation to follow at later date.
5A3. Director and Officers’ Liability Insurance
Prather presented two quotes and recommended the Travelers policy. The Travelers policy was the less expensive and included a publisher’s rider that protects against plagiarism charges. It was recommended that this protection be bought due to the exposure ARLIS/NA has from its many publications.
Action item: Prather to obtain a copy of the Travelers insurance policy by April 15 and to clarify what publisher’s liability coverage is included. Another issue which needs to be investigated is whether chapters interested in liability coverage can be added on, or negotiated at same time at a cost savings.
5B. Policy Manual Revision Task Force
Lawson reported that the task force completed reviewing Committee Guidelines (Section C) and Conference and Meetings (Section M) this year. The task force opted to include current practice only, not historical information. The next policy manual sections to be reviewed are Section R (publications), W (web) and parts of J (finances). The Past-president will chair the task force which includes President, Executive Director and Secretary. Each year the task force will review designated sections as well as last year’s motions to ensure that all that should be incorporated into the policy manual have been.
Action item: By March 26th, Chibnik to ask the Finance Committee to work on section J of Policy Manual.
Action item: Graham to address review of section B (membership) and R (publications), as well as officer position descriptions by Mid-Year.
Action item: Prather to investigate copying costs outside of hotel to print out copy of Policy Manual and distribute to past-president, the Secretary and the archives by end of conference.
5C. Governance Review/ Revision Schedule
Lawson reported that maintaining a record of progress on the Strategic Plan was a cumbersome process.
Action item: Sorensen to take the issue of how to update the Strategic Plan to the Web Advisory Committee (WAC). Other documents to be reviewed are the conference planning manual (on a three- year cycle) and the Chapter Idea Book (should also be on three- year cycle).
Action item: Corbetta-Noyes and Berger to review Chapter Idea Book for revision by Mid-Year meeting.
5D. ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS)
Sorensen became acting web site manager last May, and is now ready to turn the position over to someone else. He reported that some new pages were initiated, but mostly maintenance had been done since then. There were 27,000 hits in February alone. The AWS Administrative Board (AWSAB) will discuss what type of person is needed for web manager (job description), the most effective structure of site, and a distributed link system. The AWSAB will be the search committee for new web site manager. Even if the AWS is taken over by management company, a content editor will be needed. In the future there are likely to be more publications and group pages online and one way to handle that would be to divide the responsibilities of the web site among designated members. Chibnik reminded the Board that new Board members should be able to access the Board Documents site—a space for draft Board documents.
5E. 1998 Nominating Committee Report
5E1. Acceptance of Election Report
Motion #3: Board unanimously accepted 1998 Nominating Committee election report.
5F. Membership Meeting
Brown reported that the Bylaws amendment eliminating the geographic limitation for personal membership had passed 155 to 3.
5F2. Special Recognition
Graham questioned the Board on protocol for special recognition. Of concern are both the danger of leaving someone out and the choice of who should be recognized. It was suggested that recognition come in the form of a letter from the President.
5F3. Picture Announcement
All Board members should stay after convocation, not the Membership meeting, for pictures.
5G. Strategic Plan
The 2000- 2002 final plan is to be presented in Pittsburgh. Carlin and Katharine Martinez are co-chairs of the Strategic Plan Task Force. Survey and work plan of the Strategic Plan Task Force was distributed by Carlin. The survey will be distributed to members in Vancouver. Other forms of distribution will be ARLIS -L, the AWS, and on demand (including an offer in next Update issue to those members without computer access). There will not be a mailing to each member.
6. FINANCIAL ISSUES
6A. Finance Committee (deferred to post-conference agenda)
6B. Development Committee
6B1. Capital Campaign
Development Committee asks for the Board’s direction in shaping fund-raising activities. Two issues are now vying for priority: one is a possible five- year commitment from Phyllis Lambert to fund an Architecture Plenary Session; second is the completion of the funding for internship initiated by the 25th Anniversary fund.
Action item: Chibnik to direct the Development Committee to build up the fund for the internship as top priority; 2nd priority is to work on the Lambert fund.
6B2. Architecture Plenary Session Proposal/Ad Hoc Committee
A possible donor is specifically interested the specifics of how the money would be used. It was proposed by Barbara Polowy that there be a co-sponsorship with Brian Gold of Worldwide Books. The Committee needs a contact person for Rosemary Haddad as she works with this donor.
Action item: Chibnik/Wayne to let Development Committee know that Board suggests that they identify a contact person to work with Haddad, at Committee’s conference meeting. Chibnik to fill in the Architecture Section on plans at Architecture Section meeting.
6B3. Conference Fundraising Guidelines
A line should be added to conference manual, per Development Committee: "Conference Fundraising Committee should approach the chapters early, at the fall business meetings."
6C. Future Dues Increase
At last year’s membership meeting, we committed ourselves to look at result of the dues increase and re-evaluate the need for additional increases. It is too early as yet to make a determination; an analysis will be presented at Mid-Year. The increase primarily will affect business affiliates who did not get a substantial increase last year, but do now have voting privileges.
Discussion of honoraria system continued from the Mid-Year meeting. Honoraria were initially tied to the financial health of the Society, but now they are expected and treated as salary. Lawson reported on the policies of other organizations. There is no one way that it is handled. Long-range is the problem of perpetuating the honoraria concept for "volunteer" work. In the short term the question is how much, if any, honorarium to offer the new Occasional Papers editor. Discussion will be continued.
Board Meeting recessed until Friday, March 26 at 8:00am.
Friday, March 26, 1999 (8:00 – 1:30) Room 238
Meeting resumed. All Board members were in attendance. Pat Lynagh, South Regional Representative-elect, also attended. Graham reminded Board members that when they attend committee and group meetings they should clarify who the official committee liaison is. They should also deliver Pittsburgh program proposal forms, encourage members to fill out the Strategic Plan survey, mention that group leaders will be contacted about listserv participation, and remind all that the funding deadline for committee budgets and special funding requests is May 31st. A second executive session is scheduled for 2:30 today to complete discussion of Management Services provider interviews. Membership should be told that the Board has interviewed four strong candidates and that they are in the process of coming to a decision.
6D. Honoraria (discussion continued)
Possible motion for post-conference would be that honorarium for Occasional Papers editor consist of an in-kind compensation of annual conference registration and basic annual individual membership in ARLIS/NA, or some incentive based on part in-kind and part cash compensation.
Action item: Brown and Blank to talk to Publications Committee about honorarium for Occasional Papers editor and Committee ideas for an incentive system.
7. MEMBERSHIP ISSUES
7A. 1999 Renewals
Prather distributed the membership report: total membership is 1172. This number does not reflect any cancellations for this year. Ten suspended members are also included in the number. Members have been given a renewal deadline of March 31st. Some members have chosen to pay renewals at conference, which affects the Handbook since those memberships are not processed until staff returns to Headquarters. The postponed income is also a problem. In reality however, all active members are included in the handbook even if renewal falls after March 31st. Solution to this problem will come when the membership directory goes on AWS with password access for members to individually update.
Action item: Prather will get information on suspended members and non-renewals to Membership Committee for follow-up, during conference. Chibnik reported that most of the Basic membership falls in $75-90 category. To date, $44,000 received for membership. This is below $52,000 budget estimate.
Blank reported 19 pairs at conference. This is as good as last year. The program was promoted through Pre-Conference materials and on the AWS. Ursula Kolmstetter will take over the program for next year (two-year commitment). VRA’s program this year is based on ours. Carlin suggested Blank write an article for general library press or possibly a mentor success story could be written for ARLIS/NA Update.
7C. Paraprofessional introductory membership
This issue is pending a general look at Bylaws relating to membership by the Membership Committee. Chibnik needs feedback on this by mid-May to work on budget projections. They could also consider working with other organizations that serve paraprofessionals, like ALA.
7D. Chapter Issues
7D1. Chapter Bylaws
Bylaws revisions for various chapters were presented. After ratification by the Executive Board, each chapter needs to record and date the revisions and send the revised bylaws document to Headquarters, the AWS, and the appropriate regional representative. Regional representatives may, in the future, share wording for chapter bylaws and revisions to save time when language can be transferred with minimal editing.
Action item: Corbetta-Noyes to prepare template for revisions where wording is transferable.
Action item: Corbetta-Noyes and Kempe to follow-up on chapter bylaws amendments passed by email after Tucson Mid-Year. Adrean to follow-up on Ohio Valley amendments. Follow-up consists of making sure they are posted on the AWS, sent to Headquarters and to regional representative by Mid-Year.
Motion #4: Board unanimously approved the bylaws amendments of the Ohio Valley, Twin Cities and Central Plains chapters.
7D2. Canadian Charitable Status
Berger reported that the process was proceeding. Government bureaucracy is slow, but there is hope that charitable status will be obtained within six months.
7D3. Student Chapters
Webster brought a request from a student to start a student chapter. Board decided to incorporate students into the current chapter structure and to promote a mentoring component for students.
Action item: Regional Representatives to encourage chapters to make an effort to generate student membership from library schools, art history programs, etc, as possible.
Action item: Graham to discuss with Professional Development Committee the value of updating information for student education survey, at conference. (Last updated three years ago.)
7D4. New Jersey Chapter
The chapter has disbanded. New Jersey members are invited to join other chapters, particularly ARLIS/NY and ARLIS/DV. Chapter funds (approximately $600) will be distributed to New York and Delaware Valley chapters, and to the Society.
7E. Status Reports
7E1. Visual Resources Advisory Committee (VRAC)
7E1a. Joint VRA/ARLIS/NA Professional Status Survey
The survey was distributed this past fall to membership of both organizations involved with visual resources. Webster reported a response rate of 31%. Data is being compiled by Lynda White of the University of Virginia. This instrument with modest revisions should be useable in the future to collect data and to track changes in the profession.
7E1b. VRAC Position Paper
The paper was submitted by Christine Bunting to the Visual Resources Association (VRA) at Mid-Year. It focused on how to potentially differentiate the visual resources interests of ARLIS/NA from those of the VRA. VRAC advocates a travel award for a visual resources professional to attend the ARLIS/NA conference. They also recommend developing conference sessions which promote library techniques and methodologies which will help the visual resources professional manage collections more effectively.
7E2. Professional Development Committee
Graham reported that the Committee has recruited Tom Grieves to chair, with Ann Lally continuing to serve as a member. The 25th anniversary endowment fund did not generate enough income to support an internship last year. Graham will ask Professional Development to produce a schedule that will allow an internship to be awarded by Spring 2000.
7E3. Technology Committee
Corbetta-Noyes and Webster reported that Technology Relations and Technology Education have now combined into one Technology Committee, which goes back to a previous model. The charge was revised (see email post Tucson minutes). Paula Hardin, a new ARLIS/NA member, will chair. NINCH is liaison to this Committee.
7E4. North American Relations Committee (NARC), International Relations Committee (IRC)
Sorensen and Graham reported that the North American Relations Committee has a bylaws proposal: that the NARC disband and reform as a committee of unofficial affiliates. Liaisons would simply monitor other organizations and report to ARLIS/NA. This reporting function is similar to the International Relations Committee. Wayne was unaware of this movement to disband and has appointed a new chair for NARC, who in turn has appointed new liaisons. The Board decided to wait to see how the new chair views the charge of the Committee. If the chair feels a change is necessary, they can contact the IRC.
Action item: Graham to look at Policy Manual and handbook Committee descriptions to clarify which Committees have liaison responsibilities with which organizations (such as NISO, CAA), and which representatives are presidential appointments versus Committee appointments, by May 31.
7E5. Membership Committee
Brown initiated discussion of the charge of the Membership Committee. What is their role in monitoring the satisfaction of members, and members’ views of the benefits of membership. The Strategic Plan will explore member priorities. The Committee could work more with chapters to develop recruitment techniques. Would incentive system work for chapters to recruit for the larger Society? New committee chair is Katy Poole.
Action item: Brown and Blank to discuss Membership Committee charge in an expanded sense with the Committee, during conference.
7E6. Divisions, Sections & Roundtables
Wayne reported that there are now 16 groups. Film and Video Round Table needs to appoint a new moderator. Space Planners Round Table is working on a compilation of consultants for library renovations. However this list may be available through other sources, e.g. ALA. Unless there is something unique to this list it possibly should be dropped as a project. Women and Art Round Table: even though 91 members are listed in the handbook, conference attendance is low; they are eager to sponsor more than one proposal for Pittsburgh. Museum Division: they are unhappy with this year’s conference program schedule and would like to have the template developed by Debbie Barlow used for next year’s conference. The Board will look to conference evaluation results to find out which is more important to members, business meetings or program sessions. The Museum Division also suggests that conference proposals being sponsored by a division be sent to the division moderator. Visual Resources Division (VRD): they have an ongoing problem of dwindling membership; a joint VRA conference is a goal.
Action item: Chibnik to let Development Committee know that professional development opportunities for visual resources field is a priority for fundraising, and the Committee should discuss with VRD and VRAC, at the conference meeting. A travel award, funding by a publisher, would be one possibility.
Action item: Kempe to ask VRD for specifics on fundraising needs, at the conference meeting.
EXECUTIVE SESSION – 11:10 – 11:25
8A. Awards Task Force
Tabled pending review.
8B. Awards Committee
Selection of Toni Petersen noted.
8C. Muehsam Award
Corbetta-Noyes reported that the award goes to Lena Stebley, a student who is a member of Northern California Chapter.
8D. Travel Awards Committee
Carlin announced there would be a new Travel Award of $1,000 funded by RLG to sponsor Asian librarian travel starting in 2000.
8E. Wittenborn Award Committee
8E1. Multi-Media Electronic Award
Berger reported that the Wittenborn Committee thinks this should be given as a separate award under different guidelines than print publication. There is a distinction between a "publication" and an electronic presentation such as a web site. There is concern that including electronic publications in Wittenborn would dilute the value of and change the nature of the Wittenborn award.
Action item: Wayne will direct the Awards Task Force to consider how to handle an award for electronic publications.
9A. Publications Committee
Tabled until post conference
9A2. Art Documentation and commercial publisher
Tabled until post conference
9A3. Alternatives to printing Occasional Papers
The Board considers publishing Occasional Papers on the AWS premature until some access control can be achieved.
Action item: Brown and Blank to take recommendation that Collection Development Policies for Libraries and Visual Collections in the Arts be published in print only, with Kinko’s method acceptable for this Occasional Paper. Blank to report at post conference what the Committee’s plans are to resolve Wilson offer and Art Documentation commercial publication option.
9B. Art Documentation
Prather reported that the spring issue was produced within budget. Budget allows for 70 – 75 pages.
9C. ARLIS/NA Update
Update has been on schedule. The one for April will be out on time, conference not withstanding. There is still time for input from the Board for anything from this meeting to go in the April issue. Text from Update is going to the AWS in a timely and effective manner through PDF files.
Action item: Prather to report how many members would be willing to receive Update electronically based on their responses to the question on the membership renewal form, at the post-conference board meeting.
9D. Occasional Papers
Prather distributed sales report from last short fiscal year. Royalties from the sale of the ArtMARC Sourcebook are starting to be paid by ALA to ARLIS/NA. First check is for $1960.
9E. Handbook and List of Members
Graham and Prather will work on the handbook after conference. Final draft is due May 31st, to be distributed by June 30th.
9F. Electronic Archives Task Force
Members of the Task Force will meet during the conference. Report will be to Board by Mid-Year. They will consider how to archive web contents and list traffic. Brown suggested that it is critical that we continue to produce minutes for email business.
9G. Conference Proceedings
Ann Lally has agreed to be conference proceedings editor. She has set June 1 as the deadline for receiving copy. It will be available only on AWS.
Action item: Board reporters need to remind groups to send minutes to Lally by June .
10. EXTERNAL RELATIONS AND ADVOCACY
10A. National Forum of Library Organizations
The American Library Association (ALA) invited ARLIS/NA and others to meet at ALA Midwinter regarding a forum of national library organizations. Graham reported that Allen Townsend attended on our behalf. ALA wants to form the National Forum of Library Organizations. Townsend reports that it is unclear how this group will develop and is uncertain as to its usefulness. Barbara Ford will be in contact with ARLIS/NA to report future progress.
10B. SLA Global 2000
SLA Global 2000 will be in October in Brighton, England. ARLIS/NA is co-sponsoring (not financial). Townsend wants to propose an ARLIS/NA program.
11. STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT & OTHER PROJECTS
11A. Statistics Task Force
Graham reported that this group has not yet met, but initial contact has been made with task force members.
Retiring members were acknowledged, and gifts from President Graham given. President Graham was then acknowledged, and gifts (gavel and teapot) presented to her on behalf of the Board. Finally gifts were presented from Wayne to incoming Board and to Lawson.
Motion #5: Unanimously approved that the Board adjourn at 1:15 p.m.
Respectfully submitted by
Ashley Prather for
Jeanne Brown, Secretary.
Revised by Peter Blank, Incoming Secretary