ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
Pre-Conference Executive Board Meeting Motions
Doubletree Hotel, Philadelphia, PA
March 5-6, 1998
Motion #1: Unanimously approved the Executive Board conference call meeting minutes of November 6, 1997, as distributed.
Motion #2: Unanimously approved the Executive Board conference call meeting minutes of February 10, 1998, as amended.
Motion #3: Unanimously approved the Executive Board e-mail minutes of August 1997 through February 1998.
Motion #4: Unanimously voted to adopt Policy C-19 as revised:
SUBJECT: EXECUTIVE BOARD -- EMAIL MOTIONS GUIDELINES
For issues requiring Executive Board decisions or actions that could not be completed at scheduled meetings, or which require resolution before the next scheduled Executive Board meeting, the following procedures will be followed:
1. Topic/issue is identified and described on BOARD-L by any Executive Board member.
2. The President calls for a motion, the wording of which is usually, but not necessarily, supplied by the Executive Board member who initiated the topic.
3. The President, in collaboration with the motioner as needed, assigns a brief descriptive header/term to be used in the subject line of all related email messages. The form of the subsequent email subject lines will be Motion#:Header (for example: Motion #20: Public Policy).
4. The Secretary confirms the motion number.
5. The President calls for a second via BOARD-L.
6. After the motion is made and a second to the motion obtained, the Secretary calls for a confirmation from Board members that the message has been received. The standard format for message subject line is: Motion #: Confirm Receipt. Once five responses have been received, the Secretary notifies the President that a quorum is present.
7. The President issues a numbered, seconded motion on BOARD-L with a stipulated end of the day deadline date for discussion, usually 7 calendar days from the posting date, and a stipulated end of the day date for voting, usually 14 calendar days from the posting date. Discussion and voting are not concurrent. Extensions of discussion can be requested. The President or any Executive Board member can call to table a motion for further discussion, or postpone a motion to in-person or conference call meetings.
8. If appropriate online discussion should include the text of the motion with each posting. Any substantive changes to the text would be a reason for reposting.
9. Although more than one motion can be under discussion or subject to a vote at the same time, only one motion should be addressed in any one posting.
10. At the beginning of the 7-day voting period, the Secretary posts the motion, including any amendments, with the message subject header Motion #: Voting.
11. All Executive Board members except the President (unless his/her vote will affect or alter the result) cast votes on BOARD-L to approve, oppose, or abstain. The motioner and seconder are expected to vote.
12. The Secretary tallies the votes; within two working days after the vote deadline date results are posted on BOARD-L (for example, Motion#20:Public Policy passed 8 yes, 0 no, 0 abstentions). If no vote is received from a voting member of the Executive Board, that person is recorded as "not voting." The message reporting the results of the vote will also serve as the consent message. The message subject line will read Motion #: Results and Consent. The message should begin "I, the undersigned member of the Executive Board of the Art Libraries Society of North America, consent to the following board action in lieu of an in-person meeting"; the message should include the motion. Each Board member should make a copy of the consent message, sign it, and mail the copy with original signature to the Secretary. The motion is not considered passed until all consent forms have been received.
13. The Secretary records the wording of the motions, voting results, the date of the final vote, and the date on which consent forms have been received from all Board members as an official Executive Board transaction. The Secretary will notify the Board of the date the final consent from is received.
14. Post-Executive Board meeting email motions will follow numerically the motions from the immediately preceding Executive Board meeting, and will be added as an addendum to those minutes.
15. Once consent forms have been received, the Secretary can inform the membership of issues decided through appropriate vehicles, such as ARLIS-L, Update, and posting on the AWS.
16. Approved motions that have a Policy Manual reference are entered into the Policy Manual on the AWS.
Motion #5: Unanimously voted to accept the Nominating Committee report of election results: Vice-President/President-Elect--Kathryn Wayne; Treasurer--Katherine Chibnik; Canadian Representative--Marilyn Berger; and Western Regional Representative--Lorna Corbetta-Noyes.
Motion #6: Did not approve that the Policy Manual be printed from the ARLIS/NA Web Site on archival paper on January 15 each year and deposited with the Society's archives.
Motion #7: Unanimously approved that the Secretary shall submit newly adopted changes to the Policy Manual to the Society archives on a regular archiving schedule.
Motion #8: Unanimously voted to accept the September 30, 1997, CPA's year-end review report.
Motion #9: Unanimously voted that the Society award an honorarium of $1,225 to the ARLIS/NA Web Site Manager for the period from Oct. 1, 1997, to April 30, 1998.
Motion #10: Unanimously voted that the Society award an honorarium of $1000 to the ARLIS/NA Update Editor.
Motion #11: Unanimously voted that the Society award honoraria of $500 for each Art Documentation content editor and $500 for the Art Documentation copy editor.
Motion #12: Unanimously voted that an honorarium of $250 be awarded to the 1998 Conference Proceedings Editor payable upon completion of the project.
Motion #13: Unanimously voted to approve the ARLIS/Delaware Valley chapter's proposed bylaws changes as written. ***
Motion #14: Unanimously voted to approve the ARLIS/Montreal-Ottawa-Quebec chapter's proposed change to its bylaws: Article IV-Officers, D. Duties of Officers, Past-President
The Past-President will serve as chapter representative on the ARLIS/Canada Executive Committee for a term of two calendar years, coinciding with the term of office of the ARLIS/Canada Chair, who is Canadian Representative to the ARLIS/NA Executive Board. When a Past-President is unable or unwilling to serve, a representative will be recruited from the membership by the ARLIS/MOQ Executive Committee.
Motion #15: Unanimously voted to approve the ARLIS/Northwest chapter's proposed change to its bylaws: Part VII. Officers Section H. The Canadian members of the Chapter will select a representative to the Executive Board of the Canadian Chapter of ARLIS/NA for a two year term.
Motion #16: Unanimously voted to endorse, in principle, the joint VRA-ARLIS/NA Visual Resources professional survey.
Motion #17: Unanimously voted to approve the charge to the Statistics Task Force: Charge: To create guidelines for, and instruction in, compiling, analyzing, and reporting institutional statistical data of potential use to the Society; to identify and report on models from other organizations; to provide recommendations on effective use of statistical data for intra-institutional reporting and planning for inter-institutional evaluation and rating. To create a standard suite of statistics useful for documentation, budgeting, program and space planning, ranking/ratings, accreditations, staffing, and fund raising. Composition: Not to exceed 10 members with representation from all Divisions and Sections, and from Round Tables (as appropriate). Qualifications: Interest and expertise in gathering, analyzing, and reporting statistical data are desirable.
Motion #18: Unanimously to approve the charge to the Policy Manual Revision Task Force: Charge: To review the ARLIS/NA Policy Manual; to submit, for Executive Board approval, revisions to the Policy Manual; to complete review and revisions by 1999 Annual Conference Board meetings. Composition: The task force shall consist of the President, Past President, Executive Director, and the Secretary.
Motion #19: Unanimously voted to adjourn the pre-conference Executive Board meeting at 12:30 p.m. on Friday, March 6, 1998.
ART LIBRARIES SOCIETY OF NORTH AMERICA
Post-Conference Executive Board Meeting
Doubletree Hotel, Philadelphia, PA
March 11, 1998
Motion #1: Unanimously voted to commend the Philadelphia Conference Planning Committe for an excellent 1998 ARLIS/NA conference.
Motion #2: Unanimously approved the appointment of Mona Chapin as Program Chair and Ray Anne Lockard as Local Arrangements Chair for the 2000 ARLIS/NA annual conference in Pittsburgh, PA.
Motion #3:Unanimously voted to adjourn the post-conference Executive Board meeting at 4:15 p.m.Wednesday, March 11, 1998.