Annual Report (2004)
Ann Whiteside, Chair
2004 committee members:
Jon Evans (resigned this
Rachel Kuhn (resigned this
Sarah McClesky (resigned during the
Executive Board Liaison: Laura
Committee Charge: To facilitate and
coordinate the development of ARLIS/NA standards. To support this function, the Committee
shall (1) maintain an inventory of standards-in-progress through the Society;
(2) identify areas of future standards development; (3) recommend what body
should create the standards the Committee has identified as warranting
development; and (4) review standards prior to Executive Board
- The committee lost three members this year. We have one replacement,
Don Juedes, who will chair this committee in 2005.
- Web site: With the resignation of Sarah McClesky, we lost our web site
hosting institution. Since then, ARLIS/NA has been hosting the committee web
site. We are still seeking someone to work on the web site content and
- Facilities Standards: we have a group of four volunteers, who are Susan
Koskinen, Rijn Templeton, Carol Ann Fabian, and Ann Whiteside. Susan has
agreed to head this project and the group will meet in Houston.
- Core Art periodicals: the committee has discussed this topic at
different intervals; the discussion has centered on the value of such a
document, given the wide variety of libraries represented in the Society. This topic will be discussed at the
committee meeting in Houston.
- Survey of standards issues within ARLIS/NA: Standards Committee members
surveyed the committees, roundtables, divisions, and sections about any work
they are doing in the areas of standards. The results indicate that there is
some standards work being done, in two areas that specifically could impact
this committee. The Professional Development Committee is working on core
competencies, and the Book Arts roundtable is working on standards for
- Criteria for image-related products: Don Juedes has agreed to lead this
effort, working with Carol Ann Fabian, Trudy Jacoby, and Deborah Ultan.
- Add three members to the committee.
- Find a committee member to maintain the web site content.
- Begin work on updating the Facilities Standards.
- Develop criteria for high quality image-related products and other
databases that we can talk with vendors about.
- Review the survey of standards issues in ARLIS/NA.