My report to the Membership and Executive Board meeting this year will be presented in two separate subject areas:
1. Activities Undertaken:
Over the past year.
2. Comments and recommendations:
To discuss improvements that might take place over the next year.
Activities Undertaken in
Comments and Recommendations
- Maintenance and updating of financial systems
- maintained ongoing communications
- Ongoing mgmt of day-to-day financial activities
- Financial statements are reviewed monthly by the Executive Board. Revenues and expenses are tracking to budget.
- Bonnie James and Elizabeth Clarke worked together with the Phil Heagy on the budgeting process throughout the year
- Preparation of financial statements, reports and files for the auditor
- Provided historical research for the audit process
- Fielded questions concerning finances on a daily basis.
- Managed Accounts Payable and Accounts Receivable process.
Last year I reported that Phil Heagy has been outstanding in supporting the headquarters in the management of ARLIS/NA finances. He is responsible for much of the success of the financial picture of ARLIS/NA this year, it will be necessary for ARLIS/NA to establish more inclusive systems in the future. In doing this, it would be more fiscally responsible for each of the chairs of committees to be responsible for their own budgeting and reporting processes, providing for their own favorable bottom lines in the process. In the past the Treasurer has provided much assistance to this process but due to time commitments, Treasurers in the future may not have the time to dedicate to this process.
The issue of Chapter relationships will also have to be addressed in detail at the meetings in New York. The accounting processes of the chapters in relation to ARLIS/NA, the use of ARLIS/NA’s registration number and the chapter bylaws will all have to be discussed in detail with regional representatives at the Pre and Post Conference Board meetings.
and Conference Planning
- Worked with the Conference Planning Advisory Committee (CPAC) for the NY conference.
- Met face-to-face in NY once to review plans.
- Managed the annual conference process in coordination with the CPAC and Executive Committee
- Negotiated contracts in conjunction with the conference (ie. Tours, Air Travel)
- Developed the conference database and reported to the appropriate committees.
- Assigned booth space for exhibitors
- Worked with the CPAC to design, produce and deliver all products regarding registration to the conference.
- Attended the conference with three staff for a period of nine days
During the initial stages
of the conference planning process, primarily Susan Rawlyk with the
assistance of Elizabeth Clarke worked with the committee to plan the
conference and prepare products (Preliminary Program, Exhibitors
Perspectus). Our recommendations this year remain the same as last.
The CPAC in New York has provided outstanding support to the
process and the results are evident.
A site visit was made to
Houston last year by Elizabeth in early March to establish a
location for the 2005 ARLIS/NA conference.
The conference will be held at the Hilton of the Americas in
A site visit was also made to Banff and meetings held with ARLIS/NA members in Calgary and Banff to discuss the conference for 2006. Plans are well on their way with the Banff CPAC and we continue to work closely with them.
- Provided production and distribution services for the Society’s publications.
- Label distribution
With the assistance of Ion Communications, a strategic partner of Clarke Association Services, the publications were produced under the leadership of the respective publication editors.
An effort continues to made in establishing the best method of distributing information to ARLIS/NA members.
Vicky continues to email the labels to those who order them.
- The new database design has provided ARLIS/NA with an effective solution to its database needs.
- The database has been designed based on criteria provided by various committees.
- The database is also designed based on current needs and required reports and printouts (including the annual Handbook)
The Database of members appears on the ARLIS/NA website and is updated monthly with new information and changes. With the outstanding support of Derek Crosley and Vicky Roper, the information we collect from members is protected under strict privacy guidelines and there are ongoing discussions with regard to updating and changing the reporting structures and forms that are produced in the Headquarters.
Telephone & Fax Activities
- Bonnie James, Vicky Roper, Susan Rawlyk and Elizabeth Clarke opened and addressed all email, mail and fax communication during the year with regard to various areas of responsibility
- Elizabeth Clarke monitored, reviewed or actioned all emails sent to Board-L, and leadership-L. ARLIS-L is monitered by Elizabeth on a periodic basis.
- Susan Rawlyk monitored, reviewed or actioned all emails received through leadership-L
Most of the emails received were in relation to the conference and occurred during the last half of the year. This number has improved since last year. We will continue to monitor this activity.
We do, however, see an increase in communications throughout the year compared to last year. We will continue to monitor this activity.
Site/List Serve Maintenance
- Maintained the web site as per instructions from the Secretary and Executive Board of ARLIS/NA
- The new membership only section was implemented this year.
- Mounted the Update on the website
- Addressed concerns raised by list serves.
- Created all conference related on-line registration services.
The work of updating and redesigning the ARLIS/NA Web Site (AWS) is ongoing. We look forward to working with Jeanne Brown next year and her committee to introduce a new Web Site format. Some work has been done on behalf of ARLIS/NA in producing survey documents for on-line purposes.
All in all, we are pleased with the progress that has been made in the past year and look forward to the next phase of upgrades that will take place to the AWS over the next year.
Support and Executive Director
- Provided leadership to the staff in administering systems and working with the Executive Board on a daily basis.
- Provided guidance to the Executive Board in establishing and maintaining relationships with the staff
- Attended two Executive Board meetings
- Attended one CPAC meeting
- Worked with the Treasurer & B James on budgeting issues
- Monitored member correspondence
- Provided feedback and opinions in support of the Executive Board
We hope to be able to finalize the product promotion plan that has been produced over the past couple of years by headquarters in support of ARLIS/NA.
Research work is also being done with regard to Chapter/Headquarters relationships. A report will be presented to the Executive Board at the Pre-Conference Board meeting in New York.